Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-23-22, 08:29 PM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

Why don’t I enjoy Classical Stretch?

These workouts should be a no brainer for me. Outside, stretchy, short (in the case of the TV series, which in true VFer fashion, I have managed to accumulate TEN seasons of somehow).

I love yoga. I love stretching. I do one or the other every day.

So why do I get so freaking annoyed when doing these???!!!

What am I missing? What am I not getting?

Why do I not feel “satisfied” after doing an episode of a CS like I do with an episode of Yoga Zone, etc.

Tell me, O Wise Ones.
Old 05-23-22, 08:39 PM  
BunnyHop

Part of it for me is that they make it look so easy, when it's not. Callan Pinkney had the same effect, LOL!

I get annoyed that I don't have a reliable, permanent way to do the workouts in front of the tv. Every support, chair or bar I've tried has been too flimsy, too bulky or just awkward, so I keep trying something else. If I skip the barre work I wind up not getting a good workout.

On the other hand, my restless dissatisfaction keeps me seeking and exploring other stuff. I get even MORE annoyed with that and eventually get back to CS.

I wish there were a way to slow the pace of the workouts without freaking out the speed of the narration. I prefer to go slowly, and that's not always possible with some of Miranda's workouts.
Old 05-23-22, 08:43 PM  
donnamp

I think it is a personal preference thing - I wouldn't worry about it or force yourself to do it -there are so many other ways to exercise and move.

A possibility is that you just don't click with Miranda - she is an acquired taste and even then, not everyone acquires the taste. She is the creator, but not the best instructor of the method.

If you really want to continue to try to "like" it - I suggest subscribing to Essentrics TV and trying one of the other instructors - Sahra (Miranda's daughter), Gail Garceau, Meg Feeney, etc. You may click w/ their instructional style more. it is a free 14 day trial and easy to cancel.

But, if after that, it still isn't your thing - no big deal!!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-22, 08:45 PM  
rhbrand

While I kind of enjoy them, I do find her cueing not that great.

I do more from the show I record off my local PBS station, and the workouts make me feel loose and stretched out, but I do wish she'd spend a couple more seconds telling me what she's doing esp when we are more bent over.
Old 05-23-22, 09:03 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I think it is a personal preference thing - I wouldn't worry about it or force yourself to do it -there are so many other ways to exercise and move.

A possibility is that you just don't click with Miranda - she is an acquired taste and even then, not everyone acquires the taste. She is the creator, but not the best instructor of the method.

If you really want to continue to try to "like" it - I suggest subscribing to Essentrics TV and trying one of the other instructors - Sahra (Miranda's daughter), Gail Garceau, Meg Feeney, etc. You may click w/ their instructional style more. it is a free 14 day trial and easy to cancel.

But, if after that, it still isn't your thing - no big deal!!

Donna
I agree!
There are Essentrics DVDs by the other instructors and a free trial to ETV is a good way to sample the other instructors. Honestly, I love Miranda, she is brilliant, but she isn’t the best instructor. Her CS episodes often lack cuing while she tells a story, lol.
If you don’t like it after that, it likely isn’t for you. There’s no one size fits all.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-22, 09:23 PM  
Vantreesta

I cannot handle Miranda. I don't like Classical Stretch either. I know people have told me CS and Essentrics are the same but I definitely don't find that to be true for me. I like Sahra and Essentrics, but I still don't do it very often.

I kept trying CS episodes and while I was surprised to look back in my log and see I had liked some, my overwhelming feeling was not a positive one. I had over 60 episodes recorded and finally deleted them all so I could stop feeling guilty for not liking it!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-22, 09:30 PM  
JustSandra

There's also a learning curve with CS/Essentrics.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-22, 09:44 PM  
fanofladyvols

I used to not like CS too. I didn't understand what we were doing and it felt like just a bunch of plies and arm waving.

Then returned one day, after doing a bunch of other mobility workouts and all of a sudden...it suited me perfectly.

I actually prefer workouts led by Miranda. I have done so many episodes that I have learned to go ahead and switch legs/arms and sort of guess where she's headed. Her warmth overcomes any issues for me. She reminds me of the well meaning aunt who says silly things

BUT I'm glad we don't all HAVE to like the same stuff.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-22, 10:02 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSandra View Post
There's also a learning curve with CS/Essentrics.
Yes, definitely! Good cuing and connecting with the instructor helps with that.
And it isn’t for everyone, we all have our likes and dislikes.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-22, 10:11 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I didn't like it at first either. There's a learning curve, it's more work than you expect, and yes, Miranda isn't the greatest instructor. The method has evolved considerably in the last few years. There are other instructors to learn from.

I love it (obviously).

If it isn't for you, it isn't for you. There are a lot of workouts I don't click with...and that's ok. As long as you're moving, you're golden.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical stretch, dislike, essentrics, flaming hypocrite, miranda, miranda esmonde-white