Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-01-21, 01:10 PM  
DHKWriter
VF Supporter

The start of knee problems?

Hi!

I'm 57 and have never really had any joint issues except elbow tendonitis, which means I never lift heavier than 15 pounds for biceps because the biceps can handle it, but the tendons can't. I've also had Achilles tendonitis.

Over the past several years, I've really moved more toward walking for exercise in warmer weather, but still did step and other indoor workouts in winter and bad weather with no problems. But a few months ago, I did step workout and afterward, my knee felt twingy. It seemed directly related to doing the step workout so I returned to walking, but now the knee feels twingy from time to time. I'm trying to experiment to figure out if something triggers it, but mostly what I'm trying to determine is if I did something to it on that specific workout or if I have the beginnings of a longer term problem. I did buy a knee support (slide-on kind) but it doesn't seem to make much difference. FWIW, walking doesn't seem to much aggravate the condition.

Would love any advice on what arthritis feels like, to hear about similar experiences with potential knee degeneration, and just general relevant thoughts! I know I could see a doctor but at this point, if it IS arthritis or something like that, there's not going to be a whole lot they can do at this stage and, as it isn't anything debilitating or life-changing yet, I would just love some discussion, not a lecture on getting to a doctor asap lol!

Thank you!
Donna H
Old 11-01-21, 02:07 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

no, i don't think so. when i get those occasional knee twinges, i do my best to strengthen the leg muscles, and it goes away.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-21, 03:14 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I know you don't want to hear this, but it's best to take care of things early rather than wait.
Old 11-01-21, 03:28 PM  
DHKWriter
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I know you don't want to hear this, but it's best to take care of things early rather than wait.
Thank you for being respectful of my request.
Old 11-01-21, 04:12 PM  
Sollamyn

I don't have knee arthritis, but I have arthritis elsewhere in my body (mostly back and hands). When do I notice it most? First thing in the morning or if I haven't been moving around very much. I get stiff and it hurts to move around until I get going. Then the pain and stiffness usually goes away. When my arthritic back first flared up, I got physical therapy and professional advice on how to handle flare ups.

I can't diagnose your problem, but you probably can't go wrong with doing some exercises specifically for strengthening the knees, as well as for stretching the legs. Try out some physical therapists on Youtube, like Dr. Kristie Ennis, Bob and Brad, and numerous other Youtube channels. Also, although not a physical therapist, Jessica Smith has some videos for knee strengthening and some that are meant to be easy on the knees while still getting a good lower-body workout.

HTH and best wishes for keeping those knees pain-free and working properly!

Donna

ETA: Your minor issues might be due to aging, of course, and not related to any other degenerative issues. I am 62, so...while not pleasant to talk about, it is something that we all face if we are fortunate enough to live to old age. Keeping up with regular exercise, staying hydrated, getting enough rest, eating well---all of those things can help with overall health and keep us feeling our best!
Old 11-01-21, 04:13 PM  
BigBadBetty

I realize this is a long shot, but when is the last time you got new athletic shoes? I used to be able tell when I needed new shoes by how my knees felt. Now, now my foot hurts before the knee pain can begin lol.

A lot of people have knee problems due to underdeveloped hamstrings/glutes in relation to the quad. It's something you could work while you decide whether you want to go into the doctor or not. There's not really a downside to doing so.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-21, 04:34 PM  
DHKWriter
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBetty View Post
I realize this is a long shot, but when is the last time you got new athletic shoes? I used to be able tell when I needed new shoes by how my knees felt. Now, now my foot hurts before the knee pain can begin lol.

A lot of people have knee problems due to underdeveloped hamstrings/glutes in relation to the quad. It's something you could work while you decide whether you want to go into the doctor or not. There's not really a downside to doing so.
I thought of that too and realized it had been over a year so new ones just arrived! Years ago, I had a different knee pain and went and had my running analyzed to find the right shoe and it was like magic. Shoes are so important!
Old 11-01-21, 04:35 PM  
DHKWriter
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
I don't have knee arthritis, but I have arthritis elsewhere in my body (mostly back and hands). When do I notice it most? First thing in the morning or if I haven't been moving around very much. I get stiff and it hurts to move around until I get going. Then the pain and stiffness usually goes away. When my arthritic back first flared up, I got physical therapy and professional advice on how to handle flare ups.

I can't diagnose your problem, but you probably can't go wrong with doing some exercises specifically for strengthening the knees, as well as for stretching the legs. Try out some physical therapists on Youtube, like Dr. Kristie Ennis, Bob and Brad, and numerous other Youtube channels. Also, although not a physical therapist, Jessica Smith has some videos for knee strengthening and some that are meant to be easy on the knees while still getting a good lower-body workout.

HTH and best wishes for keeping those knees pain-free and working properly!

Donna

ETA: Your minor issues might be due to aging, of course, and not related to any other degenerative issues. I am 62, so...while not pleasant to talk about, it is something that we all face if we are fortunate enough to live to old age. Keeping up with regular exercise, staying hydrated, getting enough rest, eating well---all of those things can help with overall health and keep us feeling our best!
I hate that you can’t just like a reply and yeah… aging is the worst!
Old 11-02-21, 08:59 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I just thought of this last night. Have you tried Voltaren gel on your knee? It is specifically for arthritis. It is not cheap, but Walgreen's has a store brand called Diclofenac Gel that is less expensive. You could also try one of those creams with aspirin in them, and there are patches as well. Hope this helps.
Old 11-02-21, 10:11 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I'd like to suggest that your knee pain maybe not come from an issue with your knee specifically. It could be your back, hips, gluteal muscles, etc - they could be very tight or conversely, over-stretched, causing imbalances which then leads to knee pain, including during/after walking.

I had a period of severe knee pain, and practically could not walk. Went to Primary Care doctor who recommended that I see a Physical Therapist before going to an Orthopedic doctor. X-rays indicated only very mild arthritis; little knee degeneration. I went for P/T several weeks, learned the proper stretching as well as strengthening exercises. My issue was in overly tight & strained quadriceps muscles that were pulling on tendons over my kneecap as well as my IT band. P/T eventually led to short, daily yoga sessions, particularly to stretch my quads, and strengthen my glutes. I'm now 98% pain-free in my knees for regular walking. (I have to work up to hills; downhills can still cause soreness.)

-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knee issues, knee pain