Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-26-19, 06:13 PM  
primrosecat

Another Leslie question

This may have been asked already, but I couldn't find it. Here's the question. On Youtube, when LS workouts are in minutes, how many miles are they? Some are compilations of combined workouts, so minutes given are misleading. Some are just w/o in so many minutes. But I like to know how many miles I've walked. Is there a way to figure out miles?
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-19, 07:57 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

As a general rule, 15 minutes is a Leslie mile. Most of her two mile workouts are 30 minutes, 3 mile workouts are 45 minutes, 4 miles workouts are 60 minutes.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-19, 09:51 PM  
CharM

Susan's right, and the "fast miles" are about 12 minutes.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-19, 02:22 PM  
primrosecat

Thank you so much. This has been annoying me, not knowing how many miles I've been walking. I guess to me, minutes don't count!?
Old 06-27-19, 04:39 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by primrosecat View Post
Thank you so much. This has been annoying me, not knowing how many miles I've been walking. I guess to me, minutes don't count!?
I used to track minutes, but then I switched to miles. I switched to miles because tracking time includes breaks (unless you pause the player).

then again, some people prefer to track steps.

so it all depends.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-19, 05:04 PM  
primrosecat

Miles and steps seem more real than minutes to me. I can 'see' the miles or steps but not minutes. Ex: I did 3 miles today is more understandable to me than I did 45 min. Dumb?
Old 06-28-19, 08:03 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by primrosecat View Post
Miles and steps seem more real than minutes to me. I can 'see' the miles or steps but not minutes. Ex: I did 3 miles today is more understandable to me than I did 45 min. Dumb?
LOL. We're all different. I count minutes, like I did a 45 minute walk, or a 36 minute walk. I walk outdoors and I don't track the steps or miles. Whatever works for you.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-19, 08:13 AM  
kat999

As an aside here, if you track your Leslie workouts using a fitness tracker or pedometer, her promise of a 15-minute mile is not accurate, and the same goes for other instructors who do ~15-minute miles, like Jessica Smith. Part of the problem is that trackers don't always accurately record steps that are kicked or that use knee raises and stuff, but also part of it is just that the estimates are not fully accurate. They are CLOSE, but even when I've followed her steps precisely, I never get a full mile in one of Leslie's miles. This is why as my fitness has improved, I've basically ignored any of her videos that are under three miles, because I know that two miles of Leslie is not two "real" miles.
Old 06-28-19, 05:52 PM  
primrosecat

Hummm, does that mean that minutes, and tempo I guess, will give me a better idea of 'miles' I've actually walked?
Old 06-29-19, 11:05 AM  
Sara1000

I don't worry about how many 'miles' I walk with Leslie, I go strictly by minutes. If I walk outside I like to know how many miles I walk so I can see if my time is improving but that wouldn't work with indoor walks.

Today I did miles 1 & 2 of her Walk if Off and Tone it Up which uses the Stretchie for some of it. I got a great workout in about 30 minutes - I can tell because it got my HR up and kept it there, more than if I walked 30 minutes outside. Outside I don't like walking really fast so I get a better cardio workout with Leslie (but I don't enjoy it as much).

It takes me about 23 minutes to walk 1 mile outside.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leslie miles, mile equivalency