Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-16-15, 07:21 AM  
andtckrtoo

Well, I lost 80 pounds with cardio only, so obviously it CAN help you lose weight. And I need cardio to lose weight and keep my appetite under control.

I think the industry tends to be all this or all that. Take what you read with a grain of salt and know it will change eventually - it always does. As mentioned before - it's really what works for you. And unfortunately, that can also change over time. It's confusing.

What you should do is a little experiment. Keep a food journal and keep track of what you eat and how hungry you are. Do cardio, weights, and workouts that are the mix. Figure out what helps you keep your eating under control the best, and start a balanced rotation based on that.
Old 04-16-15, 07:47 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Probably everybody knows this, but YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary...

Yeah, my body needs cardio to lose weight. And, it needs strength. As others have said, it's a matter of finding out what your body responds to. I try to get in 1-2 steady state cardio workouts in a week along with other ones that are more interval/metabolic oriented. But, strength work is also imporant to me. It makes me look like I've lost weight, whether I have or not.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-15, 07:55 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I do believe that everyone is different, as to the amounts and type of cardio one should do. I am 51, and I have been exercising on a regular basis since I was about 31. I do cardio and weights on a regular basis, and I have always been able to maintain my weight within a couple of pounds or so. The metabolism does make it tougher as Iget older, no doubt. I think it's important to change things up, try different things to keep from plateaus from happening, and to keep your exercise routine fun.
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-15, 08:33 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
I think it depends on the person and the only way you're going to figure it out (unfortunately) is to experiment with yourself.
This
Xs infinity

and it will change as you age

In my 20s, cardio stripped off weight in no time.
By my late 30s, cardio had the opposite effect.
I'm 58, I do enough cardio (which I love) to keep my heart and my circulation healthy, but at my age (and it's been this way for me for 20 years), losing weight is about what I eat more than anything else.

Keeping excess weight off (and my health, mobility, flexibility, strength, etc) is about building and keeping strong muscles AND what I eat.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-15, 10:23 AM  
cherimac

You know, I thought I would need MORE cardio as I aged. Found out last year the opposite was true. I was really nervous about doing more barre and less cardio but lo and behold, it helped me shed quite a bit of weight. As a caveat, I did change my diet quite a bit, but that occurred in stages, not all at once. I do walk my dog daily but I don't do nearly the amount of pure cardio I used to do.

So yes, you just have to experiment a bit and see what works.
Old 04-16-15, 10:29 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Totally agree!

In my 20s -- cardio only worked.
In my 30s -- intense cardio and heavy weights worked.
In my 40s -- only very mild cardio and very lights and tons of stretching are what works.

It was nearly to the day I turned 40 that my body couldn't do the cardio I did for 20 years prior. Chalk it up to the "things you learn as you get older" category!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-15, 12:38 PM  
angie_nrs

I guess that's why I like rotations so much. I like not having to figure out what workouts I'm going to do AND it gives me a chance to figure out what works best for me.....and yes, that always keeps changing like a moving target. I have been able to get away with pretty much eating what I wanted, but doing that kept that extra 15-20 pounds on that I have not been able to lose. I'm at the age that I'm OK with that as I don't do well with restrictive diets, especially the 2 days prior to menses......I eat like crazy! It certainly pays to know your body and know when those times are coming and prepare for it, like getting healthy choices easily available and enforcing water intake. At this point I'm more concerned about being healthy than looking ripped.

Weight lifting does increase my appetite and I feed it while trying to boost protein. Cardio doesn't seem to do that as much, but the results aren't as visible either. I just find that I enjoy the mix of exercises and I also enjoy the shorter types of workouts like P90X3. I did P90X3 and JNL which were both 30 minute workouts and feel that I got much better results with P90X3, which I think is more weights based vs JNL more cardio based. My best results ever were with the original P90X.....it's just what my body responds to.

If you find that magic combo, then try making your own routine to mirror that with the workouts you currently have. That's MY next step. I do plan to do 2 week routines (instead of the typical 1 week) so it's easier to include heaving lifting of all body parts, yoga, steady state, HiiT, circuits, high rep/low weight, etc. all with varying times. There are so many to choose from that doing them all in one week is impossible. I want to create a 3 month plan using the 2 week routines with different workouts. I have LOTS of workouts to use so I'll never get bored. I'm gonna give it a shot and tweek it if it doesn't work. Either way, it'll be fun and I'll put some old workouts to good use.

The only way to figure it out for sure is to try different things all the time but do them long enough to determine if they are effective for YOU. Good luck!
angie_nrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-15, 02:47 PM  
neatski

There are plenty of good replies here already, but I just wanted to add my two cents. I have been at my leanest and smallest with absolutely no steady state cardio whatsoever. I was at my heaviest and least lean (except post partum) when I was doing 6 long cardio workouts a week. Now I do short, high intensity workouts that are naturally cardio to some extent because they're high intensity, but I don't focus on repetitive motions and keeping my heart rate in a certain zone. Ultimately, the calorie burn from steady state cardio is confined to the workout itself, whereas when you do shorter, high intensity stuff, circuit training or metabolic training, the theory is that your metabolic rate is elevated for hours afterward, so ultimately your calorie burn is higher. It does come down to calories in vs calories out, but it's not as straightforward as "I burned 200 calories on the treadmill" vs "I burned 100 calories lifting weights." Of course, different people's bodies respond differently to different types of exercise as well.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-15, 02:48 PM  
Michele S

Quote:
Originally Posted by megrod74 View Post
im just confused with all the conflicting things I read about the efficacy of cardio when it comes to losing weight. I have about 20 lbs to lose so I've been reading all kinds of articles / websites / threads. Is cardio necessary for weight loss? And if not, why do so many instructors and programs increase the amount of cardio if weight loss is a goal? I realize by itself it might not be as effective as combining it with some sort of strength training. I'm just curious because I always see posts about people not "needing" cardio per se. Is that because they are already at goal?
I think cardio can make a HUGE difference if you are sedentary to begin with... But, for me anyway, INCREASING cardio over time has diminishing returns in terms of weight loss. Building muscle is what seems to amp up my metabolism... With that said, I love cardio and do a good bit of it for general mental health... I'm at a point now where I add back calories from cardio because I like the way it makes me *feel* and I don't want to reduce the duration/frequency.

With all of that said (above),when I was trying to lose weight as my goal (rather than fitness and health), doing cardio regularly helped give me that *push* to watch what I was eating. That little mental "go get em" was very helpful in the overall weight loss process.
Old 04-16-15, 04:44 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I'm always amazed at how individual this issue is, which is why I scratch my head when cardio is nearly always recommended. The rationale is just too simplistic (calories in/calories out, since cardio usually burns a lot of calories) and doesn't factor in the many other variables at play.

I know when I do 'too much' cardio for me, I become hungry and tired, thus I end up eating more and sitting around for the rest of the day, which is counterproductive from a weight-management perspective. I've found my 'sweet spot' is strength and cardio interval type workouts, like classic Firms and Physique 57. I also really enjoy those workouts so I'm able to be consistent with them.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardio, weight loss