Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 06-26-22, 03:57 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hawthorne Class Drama!

In an eight week course, we'll be reading 22 "short" stories. The longest story is 30 pages in length with the shortest being only 5 pages.

With the sign-up sheet regarding people volunteering to do presentations, only two people had signed up for Monday's class. One gal was intending to present for "Young Goodman Brown" which was one I really enjoyed reading! I had taken notes on this story (as well as others) and had emailed them to the instructor, as he suggested we do. When he forwarded my comments/questions and discussion material to this presenter gal, she was weird about things. She said something like "after two hours of preparing MY questions I think I'll just stop!" Her email was very terse, but she also said that my material was good and she thought I should "take the credit!" Then, "See you Monday!" I didn't quite catch what she was saying, as i was on my way to an event on Saturday, and was pressed for time.

This morning I sent her a very friendly email and suggested that maybe we meet a few minutes before class to organize our material and decide who was going to talk about what. In my mind we were sharing the presentation, and as she is the more extroverted person I told her to "take the lead" and I would follow! I was never intending to present, and hadn't given it anymore thought. Again another quick email from her that she had no time to meet with me beforehand and would see me on Monday! I had previously said if she didn't have the time, she could always email me anytime, at her convenience.

The instructor sign-up sheet has been made available for the whole class to have access to it. I saw later today that she had removed her name from the list altogether and just bailed thinking that I would just take this on! So now I'm saddled with this tomorrow (which might be okay) but I'm irked with her for her "lack of communication." What is wrong with people? There wasn't any reason we couldn't do this together but she's also the kind of person that's a rambler and easily gets off topic, so maybe it's best for me to go solo.

So, here I am getting a bit anxious about this whole situation. I have done not a single workout yet, but hope to do something tonight...as a stress reliever. I'm thankful most of the students are men and there are only a fraction of *itches in this class!"

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-22, 04:05 PM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Weekend catch up:

Saturday -

Jenny Ford - Step Across America # 3 - Vermont
Yoga w/ Kassandra - 10 Min Root Chakra Yoga

Sunday -

Ellen - Barre Cardio
Jessica Smith - Core Stretch & Strength from Fusion Flow & Glow

A couple of observations - I see an improvement in my cardio capacity - doing Jenny's step today was easier than it was a few weeks ago. It is interesting b/c I don't think I'm 'focusing" on cardio right now - but I guess the strength workouts I'm doing w/ Jessica are helping?

And, I really liked the Core Stretch & Strength routine on the Flow & Glow DVD. It was just the right amount of work and restoration.

Wow, Pam - people are odd...what a headache!

Sherry - hope all is well.

Waves, wishiwasinhawaii and Liz!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-22, 09:38 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hey ladies,

Donna-I'm enjoying reading your comments regarding Jessica's new set. I haven't had a whole lot of time this past week, with everything we've got going on.

DH finally passed his kidney stone this evening, so that's a relief! And, now we don't have to be anxious about what's happening and the "when."

It was blazing hot on Saturday at the wreath laying ceremony, but there was a tent to keep everyone somewhat more comfortable. Well, as comfortable as one can be at a cemetery. our friend (dressed as Sarah Helen Whitman) recited some of her/Sarah's poetry, which was very nice. Afterwards, a cake was presented to our other friend who does the Edgar Allan Poe tours, which was decorated to replicate the gravestone. It was brought all the way from Baltimore...on the train! I brought it to my house for refrigeration after the event and we all ate cake! ;-)

Goodnight all!

April Focus:
Old 06-27-22, 07:59 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

I was set to Jessica's 48 Min Strength Routine this morning (Kicking off Week #5 of the rotation) but I swapped at the last minute and did:

Trifecta Pilates - Strong 6 Workout - I was curious to try this weight routine by Beth - I subscribed to her site for $7 for this month - so figured I may give it a try while I have access. It was interesting - no Pilates at all although the first part done on the floor did have a light Pilates feel w/ a focus on stabilization and bridge work. Other than that, it was fairly straightforward weight work - the "6" is that was the variation on the counting - sometimes 6 reps, sometimes 12, sometimes 3, etc. The only critique I have is that I felt it moved a bit too fast for good form using an appropriate weight for the number of reps. I think if she moved just a tiny bit slower it would have been better. I could have dropped weights - but then I felt like it would not be enough for the number of reps.

It is interesting to see that Beth is branching out some w/ some traditional weight training routines. She always did use a variety of props to vary her Pilates workouts.

I also squeezed in a short stretch this morning - I think it was her "morning Stretches" practice.

Pam - I hope all goes well w/ the class today and glad DH is done w/ his kidney stone.

waves - everyone!!

Donna
Old 06-27-22, 06:04 PM  
Leonana

Well, I was allergic to second med too. After one dose, my allergy became progressively worse on Friday. I went to Urgent Care and had steriod shot and steriod pills for three days. That relieved most of the pain, but it was temporary now that steriods and drugs are wearing off. So now I have pain in five teeth. Grinding has damaged multiple teeth over the years, unfortunately.

The reaction was hives and swelling, which could mean the drug was affecting my organs, most likely liver. So I guess it was good my body was protecting me. It's a good drug if you can take it, but some people are like me and are allergic. I will have to start another med. I might have to wait a week or two first for reaction to go away. Then it takes a few weeks to see if it works. Then if it doesn't, you try a new one. The beginning isn't easy, but I'll get there eventually. There are also options for nerve blocks, shots, etc. Those can work for months, and if they do, you can reduce meds. But I have to take care of my hernia first, and pay down my credit cards. Next January I will have marketplace insurance, so might pursue that then. Right now I have a health share program, and it should pay for my hernia if I need surgery.

I saw my TMJ doctor today, and he adjusted my top mouth guard, and I should be able to wear it. Unfortunately, it causes me pain from my nerves to wear it, but I have more pain if I don't wear it, as I grind on the teeth more. Once I find a med that works, I should be able to wear it comfortably. I am so grateful to have found him! He takes more time with me, listens to me, and if one thing doesn't work, he tries the next thing to see what works. I did tell him and his assistant my experiences with my first TMJ doc, and you should have seen their faces, lol. My doc said that he liked my doctor, he sees her at conventions in Phoenix (he's in Tucson, I travel two hours to see him). She obviously treats patients different than her colleagues, I would bet.

I had approximately four days with less pain. Still couldn't exercise, but was able to do more. It was really nice, I started enjoying my life again. It gives me hope for a different med and a better quality of life. I don't know if exercise will ever be in my future, or at what level. I think I could eventually go on walks. But whatever I can do, I am hopeful to be able to enjoy life again. I'm sorry I don't have a better update. But I am trying to be hopeful.
Old 06-27-22, 11:10 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Sherry,

I am so sorry! I will keep you in my prayers. I hope there is a better medication that can help you...and it's always good to be positive and hopeful. Walking is more than most people do and it's great for so much, not just physical exercise, but mental. You are doing the best you know how to do, searching out doctors, trying new solutions, going the distance, in travel, etc. But, it's absolutely ok to be down, once in a while. Anybody would. I just want the best for you and hope you get the help you need!

Be good to yourself each day, and try to take it easy when you can.

April Focus:
Old 06-28-22, 09:13 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Continuing to stick with Jessica - today was Steady Walk - from the 5K DVD. It is growing on me, although I still wish for some backgrounders and/or a count down timer or mile marker!

Jessica's new stuff has really grown on me. I am going to finish Weeks 5 and 6 of the rotation - then I have bathroom #2 reno starting, and that may throw off my schedule. I may try to do Weeks 7 and 8 as best I can with all that happening.

Sherry - ugh - I'm sorry you had a reaction to the new meds. I agree with everything Pam said and echo it all. I do think you will find something that will work - it will just take time. Keep us posted on developments - both good and bad, we're here for you!

Hope everyone has a good day -

Donna
Old 06-28-22, 04:24 PM  
Leonana

Thanks guys. So far I’m okay, today was last day for steroid pills. I have a call in to my doctor, but it takes awhile to hear anything. I hope I can start a new med soon. Tbh, I’m bit anxious, but I guess I will adjust. I will be popping the OTC pain pills.

We were invited by our friends to go to Payson on the Fourth. I’ll have pain, but it beats sitting at home. It will be nice to be around friends.
Old 06-28-22, 04:30 PM  
donnamp

I'm glad you're going, Sherry - it is good to keep your spirits up as best you can.

Donna
Old 06-28-22, 08:09 PM  
Leonana

Thanks, Donna. My doc did give me another prescription for steroids, that will get me through the next week and a half. I took them for the allergic reaction, and they also relieved my pain.

However, the new med she prescribed also can cause liver damage, similar to the last one I was on. I think my symptoms showed that it was affecting my liver. However, I believe she just knows I had an allergic reaction, I haven't been able to tell her all my symptoms. That's the problem nowadays, you don't get a chance to communicate. Well, time for another message! I want to be out of pain, but the side effects of these drugs make you pause, I can tell you!

Tags
tablet