Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-15-22, 09:48 PM  
bfit

Problems Finding a Surface for Gliding Discs

I can't find a surface that gliding discs will work on. The floor of my exercise area is rubber, and the large mat I put down is also rubber so the discs stick. I've tried a very large towel, but it just crumples up as I try to glide. The rest of my house has hardwood floors, and I don't want to scrape those up with plastic discs. Do I need to buy a piece of carpet?
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-22, 10:14 PM  
prettyinpink

Carpet seems to work okay for me for some exercises, but not others. Anything lower body where I extend one leg out can sometimes be sticky on carpet.

For hardwood I have the kind of discs that don’t have the plastic piece on the other side, so they don’t scratch my floors. https://www.power-systems.com/shop/p...=SC%20Shopping
If you think those will scratch, using a washcloth instead is a pretty good substitute.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-22, 10:37 PM  
Vantreesta

I have some that came with my Beachbody PiYo set that have fabric covers over them for use on non-carpeted floors. I haven't tried them yet though. My purple Gliding discs seem to work fine on carpet.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-22, 12:22 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

My gliding discs are hard plastic on one side for carpet & a soft fabric on the other for hard floors. I use that side on my laminate flooring and they slide easily without scratching.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-22, 08:13 AM  
buffmama

I like using socks on my hardwood floors. Works well and cleans a bit too.
Old 06-16-22, 01:46 PM  
jordan

I have the square mats in my exercise room and when they were new my furniture moving discs worked great but now they only work for certain moves. I have the Cathe discs but they never really worked well with or without the cloth covers. Currently, I am using a chenille couch throw. I fold it in half and use my furniture moving sliders to do the exercises. I slide & glide pretty well now and the throw doesn’t bunch. I discovered that method by accident but it seems to be working for me.

jordan
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-22, 03:28 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
using a washcloth instead is a pretty good substitute.
in some videos (can't recall which ones) the instructor uses a towel instead of discs.

as mentioned, they do have discs with "carpet" on the underside, allowing you to do it on a bare floor.

i have puzzle mats and the plastic discs work fine on them - these are the discs with a smooth underside. it seemed counterintuitive, but it worked. i've used these smooth discs on regular carpet and they work as expected.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-22, 06:07 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Use fleece. I use a fleece blanket on the floor.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-22, 07:58 PM  
schoolgirl-01

i use them on a cheap front door mat that i got at home depot and they slide with ease. it's called......

Enviroback Charcoal 60 in. x 36 in. Recycled Rubber/Thermoplastic Rib Door Mat
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-22, 08:01 PM  
Lannette

Tracy Long suggests an area rug in one of her DVDs. I purchased an area rug from Walmart and it’s great. This Mainstays Solid Casual Black Shag Area Rug, 3'x4'8" is the first one I got for just under $20.00. It rolls up like a big yoga mat when not in use.

Later I bought a bigger one for a few slider workouts I have that are all over the place. That rolls up nicely as well. I just vacuum them from time to time.

Lannette

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gliders, gliding discs, sliding discs