Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-13-22, 12:35 PM  
kalliope999

Thanks for VF, as usual

I've been reading and posting here at VF on and off since 2010, but I tend to visit very sporadically, mostly when I'm looking for a new program or when I'm restarting after taking a long fitness break. After a years-long break from working out, I've been poking around here again for some inspiration.

For whatever reason, I finally decided to try Joyce Vedral for the first time, and I'm loving her! She's just the right vibe for me right now, and if not for VF, I never would have known about her. It's not like she's current, or all over social media, etc. Not sure how anyone would find her these days! It's only because of all you fellow longtime home exercisers here that I was reminded of her name. So THANK YOU!

For anyone curious, I'm enjoying her wacky personality and accent, and the fact that she moves at a fast clip, is no-nonsense, and wastes no time. That's now I prefer to get through workouts, so I appreciate the briskness! As I return to fitness again, I've been wanting something efficient and snappy, but not something intense like short HIIT, kettlebell, or "metabolic" type workouts. Nothing that inspires dread like longer, slower, or gentler workouts, or Beachbody program schedules. Getting into a non-stressful, comfortable, aerobic HR zone with weights is just right for me right now.

I don't mind her lifting speed. When I eventually go heavier, I will slow down just enough to not compromise safety. As briskly as possible while being appropriate for the current weight. I'm assuming that's what she does with her heavier weights.

I've had her Definition book for a few years but sadly never even cracked it open. I'll probably eventually move to her book workouts and my own music, but for now I'm enjoying the videos I could get via Amazon Prime or CollageVideoTV.

So thanks for being a reliable repository of info that includes the old and non-trendy, the outdated, the divisive, but also the fun and effective workouts -- as always, VFers!
Old 06-13-22, 12:58 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i love joyce too. i recommend reading her books - she has her PhD in literature (?) and it shows. the before and after photos are of real women, and ones who are older too, which are very inspiring. she has some before/after photos of men who used her book workouts. I find her books very inspiring.

Mandy was a success story - if you click on the tag "Joyce Vedral" in this thread, you'll get to read about her.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-22, 02:04 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

I used Joyce for years and just used a couple of her workouts recently! She posted a photo on FB in the last week or two, and she looks awfully good for her age. She's been criticized on VF pretty heavily but I have never had problems with her workouts and got great results.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-22, 09:41 AM  
kalliope999

bzar -- I'm reading some of her books now! And yes, I've seen the threads in which Mandy posts about her experience with the workouts. When I decided to try Joyce I searched all the posts I could find, lol.

eventmom -- I saw your old posts about Joyce too - funny that you've done her workouts again recently! I've noticed that she's pretty polarizing around here, but I'm not very bothered about most of the things people take issue with. I'm enjoying her vibe and enjoying her style of workouts right now. Perfect at the moment since I don't have any desire to jump around or sweat profusely, and don't want to dread working out. I hope to have similar results as you!

(BTW - I remember you from the TA & More check-ins that I would sporadically pop into, so I guess I'm another one who sometimes ends up using the controversial trainers. I'm willing to overlook a lot if I just like the workouts, or if I get the results [whatever those may be] that I'm looking for. Although I have to say, I just can't stomach TA workouts anymore -- the thought of doing them fills me with dread!! )
Old 06-14-22, 10:24 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Nicole - glad to hear! i continue to re-read Mandy's posts - they're VF Legacy! One thing that took me a while to realize was that Mandy primarily used Joyce's videos. It also took me awhile before i acquired Joyce's videos - i was always late for her sales.

i had also read VFer's comments about her customer service and even her form in some of the workouts, so i just borrowed her books from the library. i recommend that beginners learn good form from another instructor before venturing into Joyce's workouts. Joyce distills everything into the basics, but she goes too fast on camera. when Martha joined her videos, Martha helped keep count!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-22, 01:41 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Nicole - oh wow! the Ta &more, sorry I didn't remember your name. I think the only thing TA and Joyce have in common is working muscles in many ways (Joyce says from every angle and TA say accessory muscles) but my theory is that's why they work for me. TA can be grueling all the reps on one side. Mandy's threads are invaluable and why I tried Joyce in the first place. Glad you are enjoying the workouts.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-22, 11:10 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I did Joyce's Dynamic Tension the other day. She cracks me up! I have several of her DVDs.

Joyce's book Bottoms Up got me started with lifting weights many years ago. I did the workouts from the book.

I don't do paper workouts anymore, but she got me started!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-22, 03:56 PM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

Inspired

My Mother was inspired by Joyce after watching her in a TV interview and then bought copies of Bottoms Up for the both of us. I found the book very inspiring. Her energy, enthusiasm and wish to inspire others glows from the pages but I was already lifting and just kept with that.
I have since found another of her books Definition and a DVD with 2 workouts on it but have yet to read the book and try the workouts.
I’m doing a lot of oldie workouts so I might bring Joyce to the front. I was initially worried about reviews on her form and pace but I can modify.
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
joyce vedral