Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-10-22, 07:29 AM  
Sollamyn

I ordered the bundle a couple of days ago and should get them next week. I wasn't planning to get the Fusion DVD (not a huge fusion fan), but being the vidiot that I am, I couldn't resist a good deal!

Reading all of these reviews has been fun and I'm looking forward to trying these (with my own modifications, of course!). Thanks, everybody!

Donna
Old 06-11-22, 12:41 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Split Sessions Upper Body + Bonus Core

I did both Split Sessions Upper Body today, along with the Bonus Core workout from the same DVD. I liked them both, but kept the weights on the lighter side with most of the shoulder work. Favorite exercises from Upper Body was probably skull crushers, but also liked some of the more unique shoulder work using a short platform/mini step. From the Core workout, I always like when lower abs are worked with hip/butt raises off the floor. Also, noticed the core music is all instrumental and is nice.

I have previewed the Lower Body workout from Split Sessions, but have yet to try it. I think I will like it more than Upper Body or Core (but it's longer than the others) so might might have to shorten some of the reps on days I'm pressed for time.

Jessica is really great in all of these workouts.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-22, 01:15 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

I just did the Steady State 5k walk this morning & really liked it. I thought it had a good variety of moves, maybe could use some more knee lifts, but I appreciated the hamstring curls & tap backs for the back of the body, sometimes that part of the body gets underworked.
I really liked the music as well, better than any of the other Jessica Smith workout dvds that I own.
I thought the warmup was a nice change, but I also didn't follow it to a "t." I included my own marching here & there & did her moves a little faster, alternating sides quicker, etc. I don't like static warmups. The cooldown bored me, but I haven't been cooling down enough these days, so I have to rebuild my patience with stretching, etc.
I tried to preview the other walk, but it seemed sort of monotonous. Hopefully, I am going to try it next week. I have some knee problems right now, so I won't be able to jump like I would normally.
I'd love to get the whole set, but every time I go to Amazon, it's not available. Maybe someday.

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-22, 12:16 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Total Body Circuit: Work It!

I did the 38 minute (shorter of the two) circuit workout today and liked it! The music is pleasant, pace is slow and controlled and nice variety of exercises. My favorite was the lunges to the side, rows and front presses, with leg cross overs. I also liked the pelvic tilts on the floor, as well as the wide legged squats with overhead presses. This didn't seem overly long and hits everything, so will be happy to do this one again when it comes up in the rotation or on it's own.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-22, 12:38 PM  
donnamp

Pam -

we are workout twins, I did that one today, too and concur! I am having a hard time figuring out the difference between the Circuit and Strength training workouts - they seem very similar to me. I have not done the split workouts yet.

My overall impression of this set is that it is different from what I have seen before from Jessica when it comes to strength training. This set includes slower and more controlled pacing and seems to focus quite a bit on the core as well as posture muscles.

Although some of the workouts are longer than I prefer (my attention span for strength is about 30 min) they do not feel like a chore to do - and I am not watching the clock.

I am glad she offered shorter options on both the strength and circuit DVD b/c I can see using those when I'm no longer using this set in its formal rotation.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-22, 02:15 PM  
LeslieM
VF Supporter

BTW, just wanted to let everyone know I updated the Jessica Smith workout compendium (lists all of her workouts, length, equipment needed, etc) and the download link is:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/feyhd...61rwg20loibezp
Old 06-13-22, 04:21 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I finally got the digital bundle today (slow down!) and tried the 5K walk Fast Walk.

Hmm. Well, the pros are the scenery, Jessica shows all types of modifications and she's so encouraging (but even she seemed bored at the end of this one), music was pretty good, and again, the scenery.

The cons kind of overtook this one for me. It was for lack of a better word, tedious. It lacked creativity and was too repetitive. I seriously just kept watching the clock on this one. I so so so wanted to love it but it's just okay. Just intervals that repeat, and they weren't all that creative of intervals.

So will I be glad to do this one in the middle of winter? Yes, absolutely!

I'm trying the Fusion Sculpt one tomorrow. Hoping to like that one better. I previewed the others and they seem pretty fairly similar in moves. I do like that everything seems slower and it doesn't appear to have cardio mixed in with the circuit (still can't figure out the "circuit" aspect?).

This is my first digital buy from Jessica and I thoroughly enjoyed just clicking on it and going right to what I wanted to do.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-22, 07:51 PM  
bjones

I did the Core Stretch and Strength from the Fusion DVD today. I really liked it, much to my surprise. The pacing and exercises were great, and I felt worked out but energized at the same time afterwards. It was very zen. I followed this with Cathe's P30 Mobility and that was fantastic combo.
I did Fusion full body flow the other day and have mixed feelings. I tried using my Cathe discs but they don't work well on my new carpet (the old one was a low pile berber and they worked well on that.) I think I need to just chuck the discs and do them feet only. It didn't seem very hard, in fact it would almost be a sick day workout for me. The pace was 120 beats per minute which is pretty slow to get any kind of a cardio workout.
Total Body Strength Training 48 min-I really liked this one. I usually get bored with the repeats but this one did not bother me the way her prior wt workouts have. I think I liked the slower pace and having more time to really get a full workout in including some core work was nice. I have previewed the circuit 48 min and agree that it seems very similar to the strength 48!! I am doing that tomorrow.
I agree with most of the walk a 5K comments. Very little choreography on this one and it was kind of boring. Scenery was stunning though. That helped! Mixed feelings about the lack of mile markers. It makes the walk flow better but I felt like I needed to set a timer.
I have done all five stretch workouts. None of them really stood out to me. I think they were just too slow for me. There was too much emphasis on the neck, wrists, fingers, feet, ankles and toes and not enough stretching of the larger muscle groups. Many of the stretches seemed awkward like she was trying to come up with an new way to stretch the muscle but it wasn't as good as the old tried and true so I ended up just defaulting to one I liked and basically ended up doing my own stretch workout. I especially did NOT like Release with the towel and Recover with the chair.
Does anyone know if you can return the DVDs you don't like for a full refund from Amazon???
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-22, 08:36 PM  
bfit

I am just getting back to exercise after COVID (so far, so good), and I did the Fusion Flow workout on the Flow and Glow DVD today. It is not too difficult and better for an easier day, but it's enjoyable and a "feel good workout". I did not use the gliding discs and was able to modify perfectly well. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the plank intervals throughout the workout. Mostly I like it because it's creative and different, but I'm not a big fan of full planks in any workout. Jessica demonstrates with a chair and on the floor; I used the chair, and in the future I may try to use my ball somehow instead.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-22, 08:26 AM  
donnamp

The interesting thing for me, about this set, is I enjoy the strength training workouts (circuit and strength) more than the cardio and fusion - that is different for me with Jessica.

I haven't done the split workouts yet - I generally prefer full body workouts to splits.

My least favorite in the series so far is the Walking DVD and the stretching. I have only done 2 of the 5 stretching segments. The first one, Rise, I didn't like. The 2nd one, I can't remember what it was called, I liked better. The stretching DVD is much like her other stretching workouts - not bad, but nothing special. And the walking workouts are a bit on the repetitive side for me.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jessica smith, strong + centered, strong + centered reviews, strong+centered series