Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-05-22, 02:18 PM  
edensmom

I do love Caroline. I did most of Epic Heat and Epic 3 and was super tempted to start this new program yesterday. I'm doing another program right now though so I need to just stick with that rather than getting sidetracked (which is how I ended up doing "most" of both Epic 3 and Heat! Haha.)

I will say that I find Caroline to be scaleable for any level as you simply choose the weights that are appropriate for you. Also Caroline encourages you to take quick breaks if you need to and you will see her do this herself. So don't be afraid to try them!

One pet peeve is a 40 minute workout without a warmup (such as day 1) does not equal a 30 minute workout. I have no problem with that length Fri - Sun but Mon - Thurs my time is at a premium and I typically have 30 to 40 minutes tops to devote to a workout. I wish 30 minutes actually meant 30 minutes. Ok, rant over.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-22, 02:25 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I did Day 2 Upper Body Chest, Back, Shoulders this morning. I did an iFit power walking workout on my treadmill before so didn’t need a warm up. But I previewed her 5 minute warm up and it looks great to add before the workouts.

This is what I’ve been looking for as far as a weight program. Slower pace, heavy weights, uncomplicated moves, and about 30 minutes....perfect! I can fit in cardio, extra abs, or a stretch when I have time.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-22, 07:47 AM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
I did Day 2 Upper Body Chest, Back, Shoulders this morning. I did an iFit power walking workout on my treadmill before so didn’t need a warm up. But I previewed her 5 minute warm up and it looks great to add before the workouts.

This is what I’ve been looking for as far as a weight program. Slower pace, heavy weights, uncomplicated moves, and about 30 minutes....perfect! I can fit in cardio, extra abs, or a stretch when I have time.
I'd like to know your thoughts on today's glute workout. On preview it looks like way too many versions of hip thrusts for my personal liking. I would begin by just doing them on the floor but we'll see what I do when I actually start the program.
Old 04-06-22, 01:13 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
I'd like to know your thoughts on today's glute workout. On preview it looks like way too many versions of hip thrusts for my personal liking. I would begin by just doing them on the floor but we'll see what I do when I actually start the program.
I really liked Iron Series Day #3 Glute and Dumbbell Lower Body. I used my Terra-glide (wheels locked) that I bought off a Kickstart instead of a bench or chair and my Cathe Loop. My glutes were shaking during the finisher! I might just add that to the end of other workouts.

I did do the unweighted/single leg focused reps on the floor. It was easier to keep my balance. I say try it first, I never do that many hip thrusts but the time actually went pretty fast!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Terra-Gli...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-22, 05:31 PM  
gigi

THanks Kathy! When I begin the Iron Series, I will give it a go as is. That terra glider looks cool. I will either use my step and put towels on it for padding or I have a soft stool. And then again, I may end up on the floor, so there's that!
Old 04-08-22, 05:23 PM  
wendug

I did my first Caroline Girvan workout today! I did the IRON Series workout 4- Full Body Dumbbell Circuits. I used my 20 & 25 pound dumbbells- I liked it...slow & heavy in 30 minutes. But I was wiped out after the finisher. That's it for me. You guys are hardcore if you're adding on additional cardio! I added on additional stretching at the end because I don't recover as easily as I used to!
Old 04-09-22, 05:01 PM  
rhbrand

This Iron series looks amazing!

I might try it out. Love the shorter workout time, and the fact they look like I can go pretty heavy.
Old 04-09-22, 06:30 PM  
ellaenchanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
This is my feeling about most of her workouts- I felt repped to death. Fifteen years ago I would have loved these workouts because they kinda remind me of when I using Cathe's workouts which also also felt like tons of reps.

I know she has lots of fans and a lot of people get angry or fanatical whenever someone has constructive criticism. But, I just don't don't love her programming. I vastly prefer Vera Laro, who has a similar vibe, but the workouts never feel like overkill.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-22, 08:06 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaenchanted View Post
This is my feeling about most of her workouts- I felt repped to death. Fifteen years ago I would have loved these workouts because they kinda remind me of when I using Cathe's workouts which also also felt like tons of reps.

I know she has lots of fans and a lot of people get angry or fanatical whenever someone has constructive criticism. But, I just don't don't love her programming. I vastly prefer Vera Laro, who has a similar vibe, but the workouts never feel like overkill.
Luckily we have lots of instructors to choose from so if you don't vibe with one instructor it's no big deal. I'm fairly new to both Caroline & Vera's workouts. I tried Vera's Strong rotation last week and one week in I knew I was overworked. Both Caroline & Vera's rotations as written are too much for my body. I function better with more rest between days I lift weights. So for me I'll be sprinkling in their workouts with some cardio/mobility/stretching.
Old 04-09-22, 08:18 PM  
gigi

I did Iron Series Day 1: Legs. I LOVED this workout! This is the type of weight workout that I always wanted from Cathe. I used 30"s (only twice I think), 25's, and 15's. The pace allows you to work on form and to focus on the muscles being worked. My heart rate got quite high a few times and I took extra time to rest. I am just getting back into a routine after a couple of months off and on. I wanted to do a cardio workout after, but I was too tired after this workout. This workout and the workouts that I've previewd in week 1, will allow one to increase weights over time. Super excited for the Iron Series!

Tags
caroline girvan, girvan, peripheral heart action, youtube channels, youtube instructors