Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-20-22, 11:54 AM  
kat999

Pahla B

So a long time ago I did some Pahla B walking workouts on YouTube, although I kept her muted and just listened to my own stuff, which is also what I do with Leslie and Jessica walks, too. In the new year, I rededicated myself to concerted weight loss, and I started listening to Pahla's podcast, which I really enjoy, and I'm thinking about re-reading her ebook that talks about weight loss and fitness for women after about age 45-50+ (I'm almost 47, and perimenopause has completely changed my metabolism, not to mention pandemic-induced stress, etc.).

I love having a big variety of workouts and focusing on different modalities on different days, but if I were to incorporate some of Pahla's actual YT workouts, what do others enjoy from her? I like cardio and walking, but I don't particularly like super plyometric stuff, and I love weight lifting of both the high-rep low poundage as well as VERY slow and heavier. I do some HIIT but it's not my fav. Basically at this point, I find myself gravitating toward FIRM/Jari for my AWT and Leslie/Jessica for cardio, and every now and again I'll do a Jillian for HIIT or Ellen for fusion. I enjoy yoga and Pilates, but since my focus right now is specifically weight loss, I don't find that those modalities add a lot of "bang for my buck," so to speak. Furthermore, once the weather permits, I plan to do high-mileage interval walk/jog/run sessions at least 2-3 days per week.

What might I enjoy from Pahla? I just find her manner so gentle and a lot of what she says has started to make more sense to me.
Old 02-20-22, 12:23 PM  
ellaenchanted

Her free 5-0 ebook has a workout rotation and an approach to diet in menopause. I am yonger adn not in menopause but her moderate approach makes so much sense. I do workout a little longer but all my workouts are moderate and I never feel wiped out.

I think you wouls enjoy all the current mini rotation on her channel.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-22, 12:25 PM  
sbh

I like Pahla too, but I became annoyed with all the chatter. I did her youtube workouts for 3 months straight. I still throw in her workouts, but I also need some variety.

Now I am enjoying:

Silver & Fit https://www.youtube.com/user/silverandfit
Senior Shape https://www.youtube.com/c/SeniorShapeFitness
Senior Fitness with Meredith https://www.youtube.com/c/SeniorFitnessWithMeredith
Paul Eugene https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulEugene

Hope this helps!
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-22, 01:46 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I enjoy Pahla a lot, too. I'm 48, in the thick of perimenopause (4 years now and no end in sight), and my fitness level has plummeted due to constant injuries (for many years it used to be heavy weights and high impact until a few years ago).

I kind of was really blind to the amount of calories that I was consuming, and I don't think that I wanted to accept that I needed a calorie deficit to lose weight and that any amount of working out wasn't going to do anything about that. (I still thought I was 25 I guess.) But I finally lowered my calories enough to lose some of the 35 lbs I've put on in these 4 years. I've lost 14 lbs since last October, which is a huge win for me considering all I have done is consistently gained weight. I also increased my water through the day and am really consistent now with my daily calories and macros (although on weekends I eat a little bit more, but generally not more than a few hundred calories). I enjoy charting my calories now and knowing that I actually am capable of losing this weight when I thought it was impossible.

I recently pulled a muscle so I haven't been able to do any exercise in the past month. But I stayed in my calorie deficit and surprisingly didn't gain anything. However, I didn't lose any either though, which tells me that I need to get back to some sort of exercising daily.

I enjoy her workouts but the lack of music is kind of a gamechanger. I had been doing a few Cathe Lives and a few Essentrics through the week but now that I injured myself, I'm not sure I'll be back to my Cathe Lives for a while. I also might have been concentrating too much on weight work for my body right now. I re-upped my Ellen subscription, so I think I'll do those and my Essentrics subscription with some Leslie's and some Pahla's mixed in until I can regain my strength.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-22, 04:46 PM  
kat999

Thanks, all! I think I'll start with reviewing her ebook again and then try a few short ones to see what, if anything, clicks with me.
Old 02-20-22, 05:01 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
Thanks, all! I think I'll start with reviewing her ebook again and then try a few short ones to see what, if anything, clicks with me.
It was her ebook where I figured out my calorie deficit. I took the five calorie calculators that she linked to, added the totals up, and then divided them by five to get the average daily calories. I use a free app to chart my calories and macros. The key for me seems to be to not to do too much exercise so I am starving all the time.
Old 02-21-22, 12:12 AM  
bjones

I can sum up Pahla's plan as eat less, exercise less and it has definitely worked way better for me than trying to burn off what I WANT to eat by over exercising. Not only did I struggle to lose weight, I was always exhausted, sore and injured. Now I feel great all the time!! So much more energy and less soreness! I can't believe I weigh 120 pounds after struggling to maintain 135 before. I'm 64 years old. I didn't like her workouts that much so just went shorter and easier on my Cathe's and do more Jessica. Still lift weights twice a week but shorter workouts-30 to 35 minutes. And I'm less hungry too. Her advice was spot on.
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-22, 07:12 AM  
sbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones View Post
I can sum up Pahla's plan as eat less, exercise less and it has definitely worked way better for me than trying to burn off what I WANT to eat by over exercising. Not only did I struggle to lose weight, I was always exhausted, sore and injured. Now I feel great all the time!! So much more energy and less soreness! I can't believe I weigh 120 pounds after struggling to maintain 135 before. I'm 64 years old. I didn't like her workouts that much so just went shorter and easier on my Cathe's and do more Jessica. Still lift weights twice a week but shorter workouts-30 to 35 minutes. And I'm less hungry too. Her advice was spot on.
Yes, I second this! I just modify all my workouts. Less time and intensity. I've maintained the same weight for almost a year now.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-22, 09:35 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones View Post
Thank you, this summarizes her 5-0 method perfectly. I am the posterchild for what not to do to lose weight in perimenopause/menopause, and my thinking that I was going to exercise harder or longer to get this weight off was so wrong but I never thought otherwise. All it got me is constant injuries that either won't heal or take way too long to heal. I just think I was denial for so long of what I should be doing at this stage of life. I couldn't believe my body wouldn't respond the way it did even five years ago. Now I need to really just get my workouts down to the level of my calories, which seems to be my Achilles heel. My mind still thinks I'm 28 but my poor body is yelling back to proclaim it is indeed 48.
Old 02-21-22, 03:05 PM  
sophiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
Thank you, this summarizes her 5-0 method perfectly. I am the posterchild for what not to do to lose weight in perimenopause/menopause, and my thinking that I was going to exercise harder or longer to get this weight off was so wrong but I never thought otherwise. All it got me is constant injuries that either won't heal or take way too long to heal. I just think I was denial for so long of what I should be doing at this stage of life. I couldn't believe my body wouldn't respond the way it did even five years ago. Now I need to really just get my workouts down to the level of my calories, which seems to be my Achilles heel. My mind still thinks I'm 28 but my poor body is yelling back to proclaim it is indeed 48.
Lori: You’re not alone in this one! I’m going through the same thing, same age, etc. I really need a mindset change.
My body just doesn’t feel great doing certain things but I keep doing it.

I couldn’t get past Pahla’s talking either. It just wasn’t for me.

This thread was just what I needed to “hear” right now. No matter what, ladies (I assume) you got this!
sophiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
menopause, pahla bowers, perimenopause