Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-23-20, 01:45 AM  
Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
What are black and white cookies?
Black and white cookie, as explained on Seinfeld.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjlW3QCR8Rg
Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-20, 10:47 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand View Post
Black and white cookie, as explained on Seinfeld.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjlW3QCR8Rg
Look to the cookie!
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-20, 10:59 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Here is the recipe I use. They may be an American thing? I am not sure.

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/bl...white-cookies/

I also have sour cream to use up, so I am glad to have a delicious recipe.

If you try these, you may want to start with less confectioners sugar for the icing. When I followed the recipe the first time I made it, the icing was WAY too thick and I had to use a lot of milk to thin it out. This will be my second time making them.
My daughter wants to bake them now. She and I are big fans of Sally's recipes and yes, we tend to use less powdered sugar in icing. We add it and stir until the icing has the consistency we like.
Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
topfitmama spill the recipe you use for this please!!
Pancakes: https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=de

The website doesn't take me to the recipe any more. I can only access the recipe this way.

Sour cherry sauce:
1 jar of sour cherries or thawed frozen cherries (don't pour out the juice!)
1 T cornstarch
1 T water
1 T sugar

Mix water and cornstarch in a small bowl. Heat up the liquid from the cherries with the sugar, add the cornstarch and cook until thickened. Add the cherries to the pan and heat gently. Serve over waffles or pancakes.

Germans like their sweets less sweet. This sauce might be too sour for some people, so feel free to add more sugar. I've had this sauce over sweet waffles (made with a lot of butter and sugar!) and topped with whipped cream or ice-cream, making the end result sweet, but not overly so.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-20, 11:19 AM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
DH had to go to the hardware store yesterday to get propane. He had to go into the store to pay. A couple behind him with a cart kept nudging closer and closer (within the 6ft zone). He asked them to move back and they seemed to totally ignore him.

My hubby is not one to be ignored and when the wife got even closer to him he started yelling at them. They did back off.

He thinks it was a language issue and that they didn't speak English. Still, folks of all languages must know that there is a big issue. Especially around senior citizens.

ROLLEYES at stupid and/or ignorant people!!!
There were two young women behind me waiting to get into the supermarket and they were so nice and friendly that it made me nervous. They were standing a little close so I used the shopping cart to put distance between us. I still chatted with them but I couldn't help but think what if they are this friendly with everyone and standing just a tad too close!
Old 03-23-20, 02:11 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I have two sons, 20 and 18, who are both still living at home (18 year old is a senior in high school). The younger one objected to the whole quarantine business at first -- he's quite social, though also an introvert, plays sports, etc., but we just kept explaining to him why it was important, and pretty soon he was shaming his friends for getting together when the school went to distance learning. I'm so proud of my kids right now, and feeling very fortunate they are not fighting us on this, because I understand how easily it could be that way.

I was going to try to make some of that no knead bread that's been popping up in my feed, but I have no yeast and I can't find any online. Maybe we should start a thread of recipes with quarantine substitutions.
Old 03-23-20, 06:33 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
My daughter wants to bake them now. She and I are big fans of Sally's recipes and yes, we tend to use less powdered sugar in icing. We add it and stir until the icing has the consistency we like.
Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Pancakes: https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=de

The website doesn't take me to the recipe any more. I can only access the recipe this way.

Sour cherry sauce:
1 jar of sour cherries or thawed frozen cherries (don't pour out the juice!)
1 T cornstarch
1 T water
1 T sugar

Mix water and cornstarch in a small bowl. Heat up the liquid from the cherries with the sugar, add the cornstarch and cook until thickened. Add the cherries to the pan and heat gently. Serve over waffles or pancakes.

Germans like their sweets less sweet. This sauce might be too sour for some people, so feel free to add more sugar. I've had this sauce over sweet waffles (made with a lot of butter and sugar!) and topped with whipped cream or ice-cream, making the end result sweet, but not overly so.
Thank you!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-20, 06:59 PM  
sherry7899

The owner of our favorite record store The Princeton Record Exchange was just on CNBC. Their 40th anniversary was this weekend. He said he had to lay off most of his staff and if he does not get help they will have to close. We are heartbroken. So many small businesses will not survive.

That store is the first place my dh drove when he got his license. We brought our son there since he was a baby, and our son shops there now. We are friends with people who work there. It is a very special place in our area. I really hope they are able to survive.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-20, 07:07 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
The owner of our favorite record store The Princeton Record Exchange was just on CNBC. Their 40th anniversary was this weekend. He said he had to lay off his whole staff and if he does not get help they will have to close. We are heartbroken. So many small businesses will not survive.

That store is the first place my dh drove when he got his license. We brought our son there since he was a baby, and our son shops there now. We are friends with people who work there. It is a very special place in our area. I really hope they are able to survive.
How heartbreaking...and they're just one of many.

DH's salary comes from donations to a non-profit. We're wondering if he'll get a paycheck next month (and beyond); donations are projected to be down because so many people are themselves struggling financially now.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-20, 09:09 PM  
fanofladyvols

Aww Sherry, that's so sad :-( I know how sad this is. We have friends who run small family owned restaurants with close knit loyal employees. They can't give them any reassurance when their own livelihood is at stake.

Allison, our community theatre has had to cancel it's last show, delay it's upcoming fundraiser, and is supposed to start the subscription drive in a few weeks. The outlook for WHEN things can resume normally for those employed there looks so uncertain. It looks really bleak right now for lots of nonprofits. I'm sorry for the uncertainty of your husband's employment.

Other friends working with private contractors are not sure what the future holds for them in a few weeks after they wipe out vacation and any sick pay to do it . :-(

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-20, 02:44 AM  
suzannaerin

Governor in my state shut down all non essential businesses yesterday afternoon.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, introverts, price gouging, social distancing