Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-17, 01:13 AM  
fatkat555

I love VF! I've been hanging around here since 2005. I still love going through the new posts; however, I don't post often on the GD board. It's more of a time issue than anything, but I'm definitely still here hanging around.

I do think that fitness is evolving with the evolution of online workouts and streaming. That alone could affect the number of posts because (in my situation) I can only afford to do one streaming service at a time. Before, it was easier to invest in a system of DVDs. You knew based on the instructor that you'd use the DVDs you purchased OR there was someone else who'd be interested in trading for it. With streaming and downloads you can't trade services. I think it's limiting.

Also, I think due to the current political climate many are tired of seeing any divisive conversation so they just avoid any discussion regarding instructors or new workouts that are coming out. I personally started a thread about a year ago (with what I thought was an innocent question about personal body image) and it blew up to the point where the thread had to be locked! I never posted in the thread after the initial question and it went south very quickly. I was mortified at the thought that I had caused such dissent among us! Since then I just stay in the shadows for the most part and only contribute small bits here and there. I have no interest in sparking fireworks or watching them explode either. I've un-followed many Facebook friends for this reason as well (given the current political environment). I want to keep my friends despite their political views. I just don't want to read about politics on Facebook.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Old 02-06-17, 08:19 AM  
Rhonda

I am one of the old VFers, can't remember when I joined but want to say 1998 or something like that.

I am one that doesn't stream as we don't have good internet, live rural, and there is no cable in my area. So the posts that talk about streaming I usually skip.

i do like coming here every morning and reading what others say and post when I have something to say. But agree it has slowed down as I remember the days of logging on in the morning and having around 5 pages to read through, now I am lucky if there is one page to read through.

The exchange list - i don't post as there is nothing really out there that I want even though I have a ton of DVDs to get rid of and I know I cannot list here to sell so I do that on VF roost and even then it is getting hard.

I certainly hope this site doesn't go away,
Old 02-06-17, 08:28 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I love VF and my check-ins. I don't know what I would do if the check-ins went away because they keep me accountable.
Old 02-06-17, 08:47 AM  
PennyK

I am still fairly new here and find VF an invaluable resource and it has really helped propel my thoughts and knowledge on fitness (and my video collection ) and I am extremely grateful. I actually hope this thread encourages those that have shied away to come back. I, like so many others need your expertise!

ETA: I also want to say that even though I only use dvds, I will often read threads or check-ins about those that stream or do gym workouts and still gather great information that is helpful to my practice. Whether it is form tips, specific benefits, or about something I was unfamiliar with, I continue learning. It is all extremely valuable.
Old 02-06-17, 11:05 AM  
cooldham

I still love reading the threads here although I go through workout phases (mostly due to illness) where I disappear for a while. I don't do facebook and would hate for this forum to fade away! Off to become a supporter....!

One topic that used to be hot, hot, hot here was "bulking". That seems to have died down quite a bit!
Old 02-06-17, 12:08 PM  
LoveVA

It's quite ironic that a thread about this forum dying down is now up to 9 pages.
Old 02-06-17, 12:56 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hch View Post
...I'd hate to think that the biggest reason for the decrease in recent VF activity is the quiet departure of members who are offended by one thing or another. I don't think that way, though, not because I dislike the idea but because I just don't find the idea very plausible, for a number of reasons.
I've noticed some long-time VFers went MIA after the "Fascia Blaster Wars." At least one was a very prolific poster for years.

I belong to FaceBook, but find it actually depressing. I don't go on every day. The political stuff is boring. Nowadays, it is about the only way to keep up with folks who eschew emails.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 02-06-17, 01:07 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Fascia Blaster Wars sounds pretty grim.

I remember a period when people were leaving over Cathe wars and something about science threads too. It seemed like every week there was a long Cathe thread and I never looked at it until the lock appeared.
Old 02-06-17, 01:16 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Thankfully I missed both the Cathe & fascia blaster wars. I agree with Pat, sounds pretty grim. Rather than engage in warfare, I chose not to look!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
Old 02-06-17, 02:08 PM  
muggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveVA View Post
It's quite ironic that a thread about this forum dying down is now up to 9 pages.
Bahahahah. That's true and quite funny!
Closed Thread