Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-17, 03:02 PM  
alisoncooks

I still check VF daily. I think I don't post as much because I don't buy as many new releases as I used to. (I still exercise and I still buy DVDs...just not as much. )
Old 02-06-17, 04:34 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

I LOVE VF!! I have found so many great workouts I might never have seen otherwise. I am gratefully enabled by everyone here!

I don't always have time to post every day, but pretty often, several times a week. It's fun to still discuss DVDs and yes, even streaming workouts.

The best part of VF is YOU! There are so many great people here, I've made wonderful friends that I may have never met, but consider them pretty great friends. So much great knowledge, always encouraging, lots of input and the generosity is amazing!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
Old 02-06-17, 05:23 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
hch: I recall a thread of mine about a certain topic where a poster who was obviously in opposition to what we were all discussing jumped in, very aggressively, and was so rude, that she succeeded in getting my entire thread shut down. She tried to change the thread and then got insulting, and that was the end of that. I guess she felt a big sense of accomplishment about it.

However, I stayed off VF for a little over a month because of it, and when I did start looking at posts again, I would check through a thread to make sure that particular poster was not one of the people participating.

So this kind of thing could be one type of situation where people have left VF and just never said anything about what was wrong. They probably felt it wouldn't make any difference anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I've noticed some long-time VFers went MIA after the "Fascia Blaster Wars." At least one was a very prolific poster for years.
Yes, I agree that such departures have happened. My aforementioned absence is a partial example. (It's "partial' because I did return, and it's "partial" because my discomfort wasn't my only reason to be absent--but if I were simply distracted and using my time in new ways, my absence wouldn't have been as thorough as it was.)

I still think, though, that other reasons are more significant. Here I'm speculating, as we don't have a very specific idea of why people stop posting or don't join VF, but if VF had significant activity decreases primarily because of "controversial threads," I'd expect the decreases to differ in a number of ways.

For example, controversial threads have never been as common as the pattern described in another post in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
For the next two months whenever anyone asks for a recommendation for a workout, the new popular workout/system is suggested, whether or not it fits the person's requirements. After three months, you stop hearing about it. A year later you forget this system ever existed, because this cycle has repeated itself at least 8 times with other things in the intervening period.
Yes, new members (welcome, and thanks for being here), VF did have these cycles.

Although I've never liked those posting cycles , obviously not every VFer disliked them. The threads wouldn't have been so numerous and long, and the pattern wouldn't have recurred as often as it did. If the pattern were more pointedly disliked, we might've seen more complaints about these cycles years ago.

I agree with Eibhinn: I don't mourn the loss in some overall sense. VF can still discuss things, even new workouts, without the excesses of the former pattern. Of course, VF also has fewer threads and posts because of the change. I speculate that this lack has contributed more to a loss of activity and posters than controversies have.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
Old 02-06-17, 09:30 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

I wish I had some wisdom to impart, but I'm afraid I'm just one of those folks who comes and goes. I've been visiting VF as a lurker for many years but didn't join until a particular thread punched my button and I don't often post. My situation has been that I haven't been a contributor for a long time. I wish it were otherwise.

I don't jump on a lot of bandwagons, but I have learned a great deal and have been introduced to some not-so-mainstream instructors on VF. I'm grateful for all the knowledge that has been shared over the years and I hope VF continues to be a source of information and camaraderie among home exercisers.

I'm still interested in hearing opinions, even (perhaps even especially!) about "old" DVDs. We've learned a lot in the last few years and I like to hear input about how older videos hold up. In fact, I have been thinking about posting a question about that very thing. Off I go!

-------
YADeb
Old 02-07-17, 08:49 AM  
Demeris

On second thought, I want to take this comment off the board. It's not my job to mock irrational behavior.

Last edited by Demeris; 02-07-17 at 09:13 AM. Reason: I wrote an uncharitable something
Old 02-07-17, 09:31 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

I come to VF on a daily basis but don't post much. I like the VF community and read posts that I find interesting. I've never had the energy for a checkin. I go to the gym now that I am retired and have time for it, but I still have numerous yoga videos that I do at home.

I frankly found the bandwagons to be draining--especially the Cathe bandwagons. I generally didn't read or contribute to bandwagon threads for any instructor unless I was interested in those workouts. There seem to be a lot fewer bandwagon threads due to the decline of new workouts being produced on DVD, especially new workout *systems*. Lots of people don't have the capability to stream or download videos; if that should change, there might well be more bandwagon threads. It is very clear that streaming and downloadable workouts are the new normal. From the point of the view of the instructors, I certainly understand that; it's a lot cheaper for them to produce these workouts, which means they can come out with more workouts quickly.

All online communities ebb, flow, and change over the years. Overall, this is a really nice community. The level of controversy and rancor here is FAR FAR lower than most online communities I've seen or been part of. I've enjoyed being part of VF since 2001 and I plan to be part of it as long as it's around. Big thanks to Wendy and the moderators for keeping VF the pleasant place I find it to be.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.

Last edited by eam531; 02-07-17 at 09:32 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-07-17, 09:36 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateTT View Post
I LOVE VF!! I have found so many great workouts I might never have seen otherwise. I am gratefully enabled by everyone here!

I don't always have time to post every day, but pretty often, several times a week. It's fun to still discuss DVDs and yes, even streaming workouts.

The best part of VF is YOU! There are so many great people here, I've made wonderful friends that I may have never met, but consider them pretty great friends. So much great knowledge, always encouraging, lots of input and the generosity is amazing!
I love this post and I agree completely!
Old 02-07-17, 11:57 AM  
zippity

I returning to VF after a two or three year absence since my schedule has changed and I need to supplement live classes with some home workouts. I really didn't notice that there are fewer workout dvds being made, but everything looks new since I've been away. I think there's a lot more streaming videos available, which is fine since a lot of people now have smart tvs.
Old 02-07-17, 12:25 PM  
Mickey12

Zippity! So glad to have you back! I remember your post about how you got your VF name. I thought it was such a cute, cute story.

Welcome back. Please visit often.

Kim
Old 02-07-17, 12:33 PM  
Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I love this post and I agree completely!
This is what it is for me! I love VF to find out about new workouts. I love VF and find inspiration and encouragement here. It has helped me get back on that horse year after year.
I love VF because of the off-topic threads! How else do I find greaf recommendations for shampoos? The health and beauty thread is my go-to! I love the reading thread and the great book recommendations!
Often my answer to a question is: I'll see what the girls have to say and ask on VF.
It's a lot more than just a workout community to me. It a much bigger community than that which is what has kept me here so long.
How else would I know the best tool to use to transfer videos to DVDs? How else would this Cali girl make a new Secret Santa friend in Virginia?
I love you guys, even though I don't post often (it's hard to type on my tablet and the wi-fi at work rarely works) I drop in quite often.
Closed Thread