Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-22-21, 08:06 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Talking VF Sadhana, 2021 3rd quarter

There were recent posts in the last sadhana thread about starting a "summer sadhana," and inspired by that talk and other threads, I'm starting one.

What is this? The VF sadhana habit over the years has been based on the idea of 40 days of some sort of "practice." It began mainly as yoga, possibly with some sort of reading or other study, but we can do other things too. This discussion will have no requirements about, for example,

- number of days or consecutive days intended or done
- starting or ending dates
- the type of activity done, which here need not be clearly "yoga"-ish
- posting (such as "commitment," number of posts, frequency, length, extent of replying to others...)

Welcome!
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-21, 08:13 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Hi Henry! Knowing you, I'm guessing there are no "rules" about start dates, haha.

I might try to join in starting this weekend or next week. If I do, my sadhana will probably be a mix of asana and readings - although I have been wanting to get back to a more regular meditation practice, so that's an option too.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-21, 10:37 AM  
Vantreesta

Thanks, Henry! This is perfect timing bc I have been really needing the calming and grounding effects of yoga but haven't made it a priority. I've also fallen out of the habit of making my daily gratitude list. This should help!

Good to see you, Beth!

Vannie's Summer Sadhana: Yoga, Gratitude and Meditation

Mindfulness. Planning. Commitment. Discipline. Consistency.

Day 1 July 22: Yoga: Kassandra Evening Yoga Movement day 9 Evening Yoga Flow Hips & Hamstrings Stretch, YT Gratitude:

Day 2 July 23 Yoga: M. Giordano Athletic Yoga: Yoga for Runners post-run practice from memory Gratitude: air conditioning, friends

Day 3 July 24 Yoga: Kassandra Evening Yoga Movement day 10 Evening Yoga for Beginners Yin for Sleep, YT Gratitude: hubby, Cyric, sunsets

Day 4 July 25 Yoga: none today Gratitude: relaxing day with friends, summer nights

Day 5 July 26 Yoga: Kassandra Evening Yoga Movement day 11 Evening Yoga Stretches Full Body Flexibility, YT; M. Giordano Athletic Yoga: Yoga for Runners post-run practice from memory + extra Gratitude: restful sleep, checking things off to do list

Day 6 July 27 Yoga: none Gratitude: ability to rest when I'm injured/hurting

Day 7 July 28 Yoga: none Gratitude: my chiropractor, calf is feeling much better than yesterday, baking

Day 8 July 29 Yoga: none Gratitude:
Day 9 July 30 Yoga: none Gratitude:
Day 10 July 31 Yoga: none Gratitude: spending the day with hubby, Ren Fests, clouds

Day 11 Aug 1 Yoga: none Gratitude: spending the day with my friend and her kids, take out food, weather cooler than 80s and 90s

Day 12 Aug 2 Yoga: Kassandra Evening Yoga Movement day 12 Yoga for Hips & Lower Back Stretch & Relax, YT Gratitude: foam rollers and other self massage tools, yoga, candles

Day 13 Aug 3 Yoga: Kassandra Evening Yoga Movement day 13 Yoga for Flexibility, YT Gratitude: friends, summer nights, baseball

Day 14 Aug 4 Yoga: M. Giordano Athletic Yoga: Yoga for Runners post-run practice Gratitude: walks with Cyric, all my exercise equipment and the options that provides

Day 15 Aug 5 Yoga: none Gratitude:

Day 16 Aug 6 Yoga: none Gratitude:

Day 17 Aug 7 Yoga: none Gratitude:
Day 18 Aug 8 Yoga: none Gratitude:
Day 19 Aug 9 Yoga: none Gratitude:

Day 20 Aug 10 Yoga: M. Giordano Athletic Yoga: Yoga for Runners post-run practice from memory, skipped hamstring stretches Gratitude:

Day 21 Aug 11 Yoga: Gratitude:
Day 22 Aug 12 Yoga: Gratitude:
Day 23 Aug 13 Yoga: Gratitude:
Day 24 Aug 14 Yoga: Gratitude:
Day 25 Aug 15 Yoga: Gratitude:
Day 26 Aug 16 Yoga: Gratitude:
Day 27 Aug 17 Yoga: Gratitude:
Day 28 Aug 18 Yoga: Gratitude:
Day 29 Aug 19 Yoga: Gratitude:
Day 30 Aug 20 Yoga: Gratitude:
Day 31 Aug 21 Yoga: Gratitude:
Day 32 Aug 22 Yoga: Gratitude:
Day 33 Aug 23 Yoga: Gratitude:
Day 34 Aug 24 Yoga: Gratitude:
Day 35 Aug 25 Yoga: Gratitude:
Day 36 Aug 26 Yoga: Gratitude:
Day 37 Aug 27 Yoga: Gratitude:
Day 38 Aug 28 Yoga: Gratitude:
Day 39 Aug 29 Yoga: Gratitude:
Day 40 Aug 30 Yoga: Gratitude:
Day 41 Aug 31 (just to round out the month...OCD much??)
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-21, 01:24 PM  
Izzy

I will join.

My goal is to post here and to do some form of yoga (mostly) and some meditation on consecutive days. I will start today (July 23).

As you know, I am not much of a contributor to conversations. But I will chime in occasionally if I have something to share.

July 23-BBY/1
July 24-BBY/2
July 25-BBY/3
July 26-BBY/4
July 27-BBY/5
July 28-BBY/1
July 29-Meditation
July 30-BBY/2
July 31-Meditation
August 1-BBY/3
August 2-
BBY4
August 3-BBY5
August 4-meditation
August 5-meditation
August 6-1 hour meditation
August 7-1 hour meditation
August 8-nothing
August 9-nothing
August 10-BBY1

August 11-BBY/Sweat
August 12-BBY/Strength
August 13-Meditation
August 14-
August 15-Yoga in the Park (at my daughters in Chicago). Very nice. A beautiful morning and the instructor was really good.
August 16-Daily reading from yoga book
August 17-BBY/1
August 18-BBY/2
August 19-Meditation
August 20-Read yoga book
August 21-Stretch and meditation
August 22-Stretch and meditation
August 23-Stretch and Meditation
August 24-BBY/2
August 25-Stretch and meditation
August 26-BBY/3
August 27-BBY/4
August 28-Nothing
August 29-Stretch and prayer
August 30-Stretch and meditation
August 31-BBY/4
September 1-
Old 07-23-21, 02:33 PM  
Mell

Mell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-21, 05:59 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I'm interested and *would* join, but I'm going to be traveling for a few days in August. I might not get anything in (yoga) when I'm on the road. But, I could shoot for 30 days and make-up the missed days. If we're not being rigid with the "consecutive days."

I'm also wanting to make yoga more of a part of my life, as I get older, especially. I've done pretty well the last 90 days, but it was a type of exercise that I habitually neglected when I was a new (consistent) exerciser.

My Daily readings will be from Joyce Meyer, but I'd like to do a bit more. Maybe actually learning some of the Sanskrit names of some of the yoga poses could be my goal for this Summer Sadhana?

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-21, 06:06 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Yoga and Qi Gong workouts (July 23rd thru August 31st!)

I'm also currently doing (for month of July) a 20 Different Yoga Instructors for 20 Days Challenge, with each selection being a Virgin workout/ instructor or dustbunny. No instructor has been repeated and if I have selected a DVD I've done in the past, the section/practice I select has to be untried. It's been interesting to not automatically go back to favorites I would normally reach for, which is the reason you're not seeing them here. And it will explain why my list is so varied.
;-)

Sadhana, 2021 3rd quarter

Day 1/July 23 Janice Lennard Yoga (60 minutes.) Dean Pohlman Yoga Charge (Recharge.)
Day 2/July 24 Kassandra Bedtime Yoga (YouTube)
Day 3/July 25 Kent Katich Yoga for Flexibility with Kevin Love (Progressive Warm-up) and (Deep Stretch and Restore.)
Day 4/July 26 Kathi Ross-Nash Prevention Easy Healing Stretches (Calves and Feet), Kimberly Fowler Prevention Flat Belly Yoga (Express workout.) Uses light weights.
Day 5/July 27 Barbara Benagh Yoga for Back Care (General Back Care) 40 minutes.
Day 6/July 28 Molly Fox Skinny Jeans (Deep Flow Yoga) 40 minutes.
Day 7/July 29 Nadia Narain Chair Yoga (Session one) and Sara Ivanhoe On the Ball Yoga.
Day 8/July 30 Shelly McDonald Caribbean Workout (Stretch into Yoga) Basic Yoga.
Day 9/July 31 Sara Ivanhoe Crunch the Joy of Yoga.

Road trip

Day 10/Aug 7 Shelly McDonald Caribbean workout (Stretch into Yoga) Flex.
Day 11/Aug 8 Ashley Turner Element 5 Day Yoga (Stress Relief and Meditation.)
Day 12/Aug 9 Lilias Folan Yoga Gets Better with Age for Seniors. Very slow moving 60 minutes.
Day 13/Aug 10 Gary Sikorski Happy Face Yoga. 50 minutes.
Day 14/Aug 11 Lee Holden Qi Gong AM Practice. 40 minutes.
Day 15/Aug 12 Lee Holden Qi Gong the Deeper Flow 35 minutes.
Day 16/Aug 13 Lee Holden Qi Gong for Self Healing (Standing practice) 50 minutes.
Day 17/Aug 14 Lee Holden Qi Gong for More Energy (disc froze up about 2/3 way thru.) 48 minutes.
Day 18/Aug 15 Lee Holden Qi Gong for Healthy Digestion (standing routine) 31 minutes.
Day 19/Aug 16 Lee Holden Qi Gong 7 Minutes of Magic (AM extended flow) 16 minutes. Kim Eng Yin Yoga Daily practice.

Day 20/Aug 17 non-Qi Gong, non-Yoga workout.
Day 21/Aug 18 Lee Holden Qi Gong for Healthy Digestion (Standing and Lying practices.) Also, 7 Minutes of Magic (AM Extended version.)
Day 22/Aug 19 Sarah Starr Gentle Chair Yoga and Lee Holden Qi Gong for Lower Back Pain.

No workout Aug 20-22 because of I caught a cold.

Day 23/Aug 23 Lee Holden Qi Gong for Self Healing (Standing Practice) 50 minutes.
Day 24/Aug 24 Cathe Friedrich Boss Bands Total Body......no yoga or Qi Gong
Day 25/Aug 25 Cathe Friedrich Boss Loops Glutes and Core...again no yoga or Qi Gong
Day 26/Aug 26 Cathe Friedrich Boss Bands Total Body.....what I said above ^^^
Day 27/Aug 27 Marisa Cranfill Qi Gong Flow for Happy Lungs
Day 28
Day 29
Day 30
Day 31

April Focus:
Old 07-23-21, 06:39 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Daily Readings/Devotional themes!

Day 1 Blessings
Day 2 Happiness
Day 3 Peace
Day 4 Perseverance
Day 5 Silence
Day 6 Good Thoughts
Day 7 Wholeness
Day 8 Faith
Day 9 Character
Day 10 Testimony
Day 11 One Step
Day 12 Lost Things
Day 13 Prayer
Day 14 Your Helper
Day 15 Secrets
Day 16 Talking
Day 17 Always
Day 18 Claiming
Day 19 Doing
Day 20 Thoughts Known
Day 21 Comparison
Day 22 Good Things
Day 23 No Dread
Day 24 Dream Thief
Day 25 Giving Advice
Day 26 Home
Day 27 Dangerous Words
Day 28 Goals
Day 29 Trustworthy
Day 30 Perfect Timing
Day 31 Transition

April Focus:
Old 07-24-21, 10:10 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Hi, everyone! I'll post later about what I've been doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
I'm interested and *would* join, but I'm going to be traveling for a few days in August. I might not get anything in (yoga) when I'm on the road. But, I could shoot for 40 days and make-up the missed days. If we're not being rigid with the "consecutive days."
I'm happy that you've joined! Everyone, feel free to do whatever will work for you. I included the notes in my first post because of circumstances like travel. As I'll describe in a later post, my own ideas are a bit uncertain too--not because of any specific plans but because odd things happen in my life.

Even if I'd announced this intention years in advance, I can't think of any reasonable reason for any requirements like that for this thread. I can't imagine actually saying "don't make any plans that would interfere with our special sadhana." For example, maybe there do exist some people here who'd find rigid rules "motivating," but such rules would probably hinder overall participation more than they'd help. Even if I somehow wanted such rules, I highly doubt that such restrictions would be enforceable on VF anyway.

I'll also add two other notes:

- I explicitly encourage sharing from people who may do things like two weeks, one week, a weekend, one day, or even "part of a workout" that's inspired by this thread.

- Regardless of whether you consider yourselves members of this sadhana, post anyway when you have something to contribute. (The opposite idea, besides being unwelcoming and inhibiting, probably isn't even enforceable on VF. Occasionally, though, I've seen people who have something to contribute to a check-in, but they post apologetically because they call themselves lurkers or because they aren't members of that check-in. I wonder how many good posts have been lost to this idea.)

Welcome, everyone!
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-21, 11:19 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Thank you, Henry.

I think sometimes we put unrealistic expectations on ourselves. If we over commit or miss a day/week (whatever) our good intentions become a burden and we might feel pressure. Life gets in the way and I like that there are no boundaries here, if people don't want that! It's a little more free-form and everyone can be themselves and post as much or little as they want! And, they can post about what type of exercise they are passionate about. Like you said, it doesn't have to be yoga.

April Focus:

Tags
sadhana, vf sadhana