Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-17, 01:07 PM  
PennyK

What are your current fitness/health goals?

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-17, 01:33 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

My goal is to really rethink my goals. I tend to like setting goals, but often I bite off more than I can chew and/or life gets in the way and I end up not achieving what I set out to do. Then I beat myself up or feel like a failure (or at least, feel disappointed in myself.)

So, I'm actually working through the 'self journal' with a friend and learning a lot about appropriate goal setting, prioritizing, etc. and really trying to follow through with what I set out to do. I want to consider promises I make to myself to be at least as important as those I make to others (and I am generally very good about keeping my commitments to others.)
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-17, 02:03 PM  
Titus2woman

I know I'm a broken record, but _Younger Next Year_ has transformed my goal from losing weight to setting goals for a healthy autumn of life. I actually think it's going to stick this time, so that I WILL lose the 100+ pounds!!!

More people fail from a lack of encouragement than anything else!
Titus2woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-17, 02:04 PM  
Jeanne Marie

I'm pretty much where I want to be fitness wise. I do the workouts that work for me, I do them often and I love doing them. My diet is good. I get good sleep too. Those are my continuing goals, even though I meet them every day.

I guess if I had to name a specific goal to work on it would be staying hydrated. I do pretty well in the summertime, but in the winter I have to make myself drink enough water. I sweat buckets several times a day, so it's essential that I re-hydrate. In the winter, when the temp isn't as hot, I don't feel thirst like I do in the summer. I have a 24 Oz water bottle that I make myself drink after every workout... even if I don't want it.
Old 02-06-17, 02:33 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
I have a 24 Oz water bottle that I make myself drink after every workout... even if I don't want it.
If it's any consolation, I've read in several different places that you don't need to force yourself to drink water. The thirst mechanism is sufficient. And drinking when you really don't want it could actually be counter-productive (by throwing off electrolyte balance.)
Old 02-06-17, 02:45 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

My number one fitness goal this year is to buy less I have tons of dvd's. I still have a lot of "virgin" workouts to go through, so I have no business buying anything new right now. I am in maintenance mode, and have been for years, so I don't have any weight loss goals to meet. I do have to be careful not to overdo when doing my favorite cardio workouts. They sometimes stress out my back. I am also trying not to be so rigid with my diet. I try to eat a balanced diet, and I truly believe that moderation is key.
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-17, 02:52 PM  
Dabbadooey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
If it's any consolation, I've read in several different places that you don't need to force yourself to drink water. The thirst mechanism is sufficient. And drinking when you really don't want it could actually be counter-productive (by throwing off electrolyte balance.)
I've also been reading a lot about this lately. Also if you eat a lot of fruit and vegetables you don't need to drink as much.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-17, 03:16 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbadooey View Post
I've also been reading a lot about this lately. Also if you eat a lot of fruit and vegetables you don't need to drink as much.
Indeed. Certainly, for the vast majority of people, drinking more than you 'need' is fine. You'll just pee it out. But I read a Tim Noakes article recently of a marathoner who actually died from hyponatremia (drinking too much water.) I don't mean to scaremonger, since again, most of us will not be in danger from drinking water, but for endurance athletes, it can be a real concern. Noakes was bemoaning the drink-even-when-you're-not-thirsty maxim as this woman's death was totally preventable.
Old 02-06-17, 03:55 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
I've learned this as well, but trust me, this is not the case for me. I sweat massively 2 to 3 times a day. If I don't drink lots of water, I get the classic signs of dehydration. I can tell it with my skin drying out, my lips get cracked, I wake up at night thirsty, my urine is concentrated (sorry if TMI)... all signs I need lots of water. Probably more than I already drink.
Old 02-06-17, 05:11 PM  
lizh

My current fitness goal is to get back to my morning exercise routine. I've slipped since about November and I get back for a day or two and then lose it again. Ugh!

My plan is to do 30 minutes before work - Jessica Smith, The Firm, Fe Fit etc. One day at a time!
liz
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitness goals, health goals