Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-09-05, 06:23 PM  
ronnee
VF Supporter

I wear loose fitting athletic shorts with cotton underwear. The minute I am done working out I remove my underwear so I am left wearing loose fitting shorts and nothing else underneath while I do a few things for the kids, put away my weights, etc. I'm usre my kids think part of a workout routine is baring your booty when you're finished! However, if I get lax with this, I get yeast infections. This solution might help.

Love this thread

Ronnee
ronnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 07:26 PM  
sherry7899

There's a medicated spray called Dermoplast that I've used for heat rash on my thighs-it really helped.

Take care,
Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 09:46 PM  
lmatis

I had to lose the undies for the work out! Thank goodness for everybody I work out at home. I work out at night so I put on lose shorts (no undies) work out and immediatly use the bathroom and get the wet shorts off. I basically don't bother with undies again til morning. Nobody is any wiser, I wear really lose pj pants after my work out. It seems I am also prone to the yeast infection thing too.
Old 06-10-05, 08:38 AM  
3ks

Neosporin

I few months ago I developed a heat/sweat rash just below the bra line and in between the breasts. I tend to sweat a lot in that area when walking, working out, cleaning, etc. The rash is caused from the bacteria in the sweat/wetness. Someone suggested I use Neosporin and when I finally did, the change was immediate. The itch and irritation were gone and the "rash look" eventually disappeared. I actually carry it in my purse . My suggestion is to do what I did: apply Neosporin in the "possibly" affected areas prior to working out and it should keep the sweat bacteria away. JMO. I also apply it every day--to keep the rash away.

HTH.
3ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 09:15 AM  
juneaucat
VF Supporter

You guys are awesome!

I googled my question in 15 different ways and couldn't get any good info. Then I finally got the guts to post it here even if it was embarrassing just because we're all in the same situation.

I'm going to Dick's today to get some special shorts/underwear and I do have Gold bond (love it!). I'll try the neosporin idea too.

I just realized that I have this problem in many places on my body (which I won't bore you with). Basically, if I allow any moisture to sit on my skin, it gets very irritated. I'm just so sick of dealing with the aftereffects that I'm more than happy to find some good, even if expensive, preventative solutions.

Thanks again!
Old 06-10-05, 09:27 AM  
ardnas

I have the same problem-I get rashes, irritation, and yeast infections if I don't change and shower IMMEDIATELY after working out.
I have found not wearing any undies & lose shorts helps, as does (ok, I know this will sound funny, but it works) a product called Butt Paste (you can get it at Target by the baby products by the Pharmaceuticals). It minimizes irritation, prevents chafing, and soothes the skin. I would avoid using Cornstarch and (especially) Talc, as these mixed with sweat are going to make a paste!
ardnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 09:50 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

If I leave my wet clothes on too long, I'll get but rash (and one time, I even got...jock itch, shhhh! But it was when I was doing P90X, so it was appropriate. And also when I was having a poison ivy reaction, so probably linked in some way.)

I just whip those clothes off immediately, and shower (or at least wipe off with a wash-and-dry or something similar).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 12:32 PM  
*pet*art*girl*
VF Supporter

I agree with Alta and the commando statement!

Try to stay 'well-ventilated'. Also, wash with an antibacterial soap right afterwards in the shower. I am now a pro with these types of rashes. I had a rash from H#LL last year, and now I have the prescription cream at-the-ready in case I get any itching/rash flare ups happening. It is indeed very similar to a yeast infection but it is a different bacteria. The DR's have said that, in a pinch if the rash is not that serious, you can use either an OTC yeast infection cream OR that horrible anit-athlete's foot cream as well.

Basically the rules of the road are:

-stay well ventilated and if that means going commando, then do it whenever you can
-no restrictive clothing in the affected area
-wash and dry the areas well. and an antibacterial soap doesn't hurt for this type of thing (try one of those soaps for acne, like a clearisil body wash)

This should help a lot in terms of keeping the rash away.

if you ever get a rash that won't go away, hoof it to the doctor or derm right away. these things are not something to play with. i was incapacitated last summer with the scariest rash EVER. I ended up on oral antibiotics and also H-Bomb anitbacterial cream. so if it is a little nagging thing that is small but won't go away, have it treated before it blowes up on you, like it did on me.
HTH

“Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion; you must first set yourself on fire.”
- Reggie Leach

“A big shot is a little shot that kept shooting” - Unknown
"I caught myself cheating! Shame on me!" - Cathe
*pet*art*girl* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 12:39 PM  
SurferGirl

I think I'm the only person that is allergic to OTC yeast infection creams. When I use them, they BURN and make the problem 10x worse. I have to use regular anti-itch/anti-bacterial creams.
SurferGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 01:05 PM  
ronnee
VF Supporter

One more thought. My daughter had these rash patches on her skin (I've actually also gotten these but I have eczema so I think they were different). I took her to the Dr. and he said it was a skin virus, maybe ringworm, and gave her some medicated ointment. I'm pretty sure she got the rash from wearing sweaty gymanstics clothes for too long. Anyway, if it doesn't go away, maybe a Dr. can take a look and give you something for it.

Good luck!

Ronnee
ronnee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yeast infections