Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-04, 05:41 PM  
ooty

Thanks Lucysql.Will connect with you soon (deadline loomimg). GR....your mom has to exercise....if she is only diagnosed as prediabetic, she can completely have it under control with just exercise and diet changes (there are so many options for us here in the US in terms of food choices).

Cheers,
ooty

PS I really doubt you are diabetic given that you are an avid exerciser...nevertheless, a fasting blood sugar test is easy enough to do...good luck with your doctor's appointment
ooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-04, 06:02 PM  
Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymRatt
Needless to say, I'm calling my doctor about on Tuesday!
Hope everything is ok, GymRatt!!!

Susan
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-04, 06:52 PM  
GymRatt
VF Supporter

Thank you!! My family has a genetic predisposition for diabetes, so it's something that's always been in the back of my mind. Even though I exercise regularly, I'm still overweight (only recently lost 40lbs with 25 more to go.)

One thing I've learned is that fit people can develop diabetes, too. Gary Hall, Jr, the Olympic swimmer developed it not too long ago, and he's an elite athlete...

Scary...
GymRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-04, 07:21 PM  
Susan

What's good is that you're not only aware of the predisposition, but you're actively monitoring yourself to watch for symptoms -- and now that you have some possible indicators, you're heading straight to the doctor. This way, even if the results are positive for diabetes, they're still a LOT better than they would have been if you hadn't bothered to get tested until much later on.

I really hope your test results are negative, and that your symptoms are just coincidental. You must be very worried -- I know I would be!

Susan
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-04, 09:41 AM  
abbyalex

Hi, I have been type 1 diabetic for 8 years, diagnosed at age 32. The symptoms I was getting at the time were extreme thirst, fatigue, 2 yeast infections in 2 months (which I never had before or since) and eventually, rapid weight loss (18 lbs in a 3 week period). The symptoms started after having a very bad flu which really knocked me out for about a week. So the reason I ignored the symptoms for so long was because I thought I was still not over the flu. Diabetes does not run in my family and I had no idea that the symptoms I was experiencing were symptoms of diabetes. According to my doctor, type 1 diabetes often occurs after a severe fever or infection.

I use the disposable insulin pens and they've worked well for me so far. I take short-acting insulin before each meal, and 2 doses of long-acting per day. I am also a fanatical tester -- I can test my blood sugar anywhere from 6 times a day to up to 12 times a day if I feel I need to. I test before meals, then 2 hours after meals to see if I calculated my insulin properly. If my blood sugar is a little high, I can adjust it with a unit of insulin -- if it's lower than it should be, I can have a little food. I test before a workout, after a workout, then half an hour later to see if it's moving down or up. I am a testing maniac. But seriously, I am just trying to take the best care of myself that I can to avoid problems in the future. I just want to know what my blood sugar is ALL THE TIME!

But working out and being on insulin is a big fat pain in the butt, let me tell you!!! Moderate intensity cardio makes my blood sugar go way down and continue to go down after the workout. Intense cardio brings my numbers down, but not nearly as much. Strength work generally brings my numbers down just a little bit, or it might raise my blood sugar. *sigh* It's a pain.
Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do, right?

Gymratt, you would not have symptoms of low blood sugar (light headedness, extreme hunger) UNLESS you were already on insulin OR if you are hypoglycemic. You should check into getting tested for hypoglycemia. It is also a precursor for diabetes.
abbyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-04, 10:54 AM  
GymRatt
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyalex
Gymratt, you would not have symptoms of low blood sugar (light headedness, extreme hunger) UNLESS you were already on insulin OR if you are hypoglycemic. You should check into getting tested for hypoglycemia. It is also a precursor for diabetes.
Thanks for your post, Abby!
It's interesting to read how various types of exercise affect your levels.
The more I read, the more I think this might be some type of 'pre' situation (not that I'm a doctor, and I'm calling mine today...)
I don't have the extreme thirst, or the rapid weight loss in a short period of time, but I have many of the other symptoms (in the abscence of fever or swollen glands...)
Hmm.
Thanks for everyone's well wishes!!
GymRatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diabetes, yeast infections