Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-31-21, 02:41 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Another reason I don’t believe peoples before and after of a company program.. the person just wants attention. So they buy a pair of grandpa pants and say, I lost 40 pound in 7 weeks.

It didn’t even happen on biggest loser. If you hear their stories you’d run

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-21, 07:17 PM  
momofcha

I don’t really know her whole story or what her husband does for a living, but didn’t she make her millions from Beachbody? She definitely drank the kool aid for a long time.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-21, 01:43 PM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
I guess I have a slightly different take. Her story has changed somewhat over time. I have heard her talk on this before and caught the recent video last week or so. I listened to a few of her podcasts in her heyday as well. She has always come off as very shallow and it seems that BB, age etc finally kicked her out of the ability to do that for a living. It doesn't erase the fact that she did willingly put out a facade of health while doing extreme/less healthy things to maintain that. So she knowingly sold a bit of a lie to us. I wonder if she is mostly shilling for what she is doing now. I have little doubt that she would still be willing to go back if it was an option.

I do hope I'm wrong and that she she has grown. We have a right to mature. And I like the comment about "cool girls having insecurities". It interprets it in a more kind light than I can muster. I think there is a lot of pressure on women in fitness, especially when there is a lot of money to be made with the right "look". But I get tired of all these "heart felt confessions" only after these folks have been ejected for age etc and have no choice but to find a new angle. I think it was her past podcasts that really influenced my thinking on this--such a huge focus on money, physical appearance, materialism.
I kind of had the same take on this. I believe she probably was told to lose more weight by BB but for some reason this video came off (to me) as somewhat infomercial - I'm not doing "this" anymore but I'm good at "this" and can help you etc etc.
frogribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-21, 04:33 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I think she has a point. I was looking at my old Firms, compared to the BSS ones, and some of the instructors are so much thinner than they were in the earlier BBH Firms. In the BBH Firms they looked radiant and healthy, but in some of the BSS Firms they looked kinda peaked, they were so thin. I would add that it was not the case with all of them.
Old 08-03-21, 11:03 PM  
hypnomoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I think one of the bonus sections of a workout from her was a tour of her house, which turned me off. Did I imagine that?
Nope. You didn't imagine that. It was a huge turn off for me too. And she showed a huge closet with tons of expensive Nike shoes.

I never connected with her at all. I get that same vibe that I would not have been good enough to hang with her in school or even now as adults. I'll take Cathe and Jessica Smith any day and every day!
hypnomoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-21, 12:36 PM  
mamaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnomoon View Post
Nope. You didn't imagine that. It was a huge turn off for me too. And she showed a huge closet with tons of expensive Nike shoes.

I never connected with her at all. I get that same vibe that I would not have been good enough to hang with her in school or even now as adults. I'll take Cathe and Jessica Smith any day and every day!
I didn’t like that segment either.

One thing about instructors like Cathe and Jessica is that they view us as their fitness FRIENDS and not their fans. They can be more down to earth as a result.
Old 08-06-21, 09:20 AM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

I remember when Chalene published a book that got rave reviews on Amazon. I somehow found out later that the reviews were rigged--i.e., written by friends and relatives. I find her very phony even though I can admit I liked TurboFire.
nyskier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-21, 09:57 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyskier View Post
I remember when Chalene published a book that got rave reviews on Amazon. I somehow found out later that the reviews were rigged--i.e., written by friends and relatives. I find her very phony even though I can admit I liked TurboFire.
I remember reading a portion of a book of hers (not sure it was the same book). There were traffic lights to guide you. Some items that were 'red light' I simply couldn't see me living that way so I ditched the book.

I purged all my Turbojams and took forever to try PIYO...but I really enjoy PIYO.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-21, 06:32 PM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
I remember reading a portion of a book of hers (not sure it was the same book). There were traffic lights to guide you. Some items that were 'red light' I simply couldn't see me living that way so I ditched the book.

I purged all my Turbojams and took forever to try PIYO...but I really enjoy PIYO.
I don’t think I got far enough in the book to tell you that it was the same one. I put it on the Exchange and another VFer was thrilled to trade for it.
nyskier is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
beachbody, chalene johnson, instructors, instructors appearance, piyo, powder blue