Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-20-20, 05:22 PM  
VainJane

Looking for resistance tube workout recommendations

I'm looking to switch up my mat pilates routine with some resistance tube workouts for lower and upper body (I don't want to invest in dumbbells since I hope I'll be able to go back to working out on pilates studio equipment eventually). I'm looking for mostly standing workouts and not too much ab work since mat pilates already covers that. Ideally strength only, but if it includes some low-impact cardio, that's OK too. Any recommendations? I'm open to streaming workouts as well as DVDs and downloads.
VainJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-20, 11:20 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

Jessica Smith has some options on her YouTube channel As always, she is the consummate professional so the production quality is good and her instruction is impeccable!
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-20, 08:22 AM  
tangerine

Linda from Barlates has some on youtube that are mostly standing that use flat bands/resistance loops, resistance tubing could be a substitute, depends on the shape and length...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd9kpYlsM_Y - all standing except for stretch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMY-AF16MJQ - standing + chair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0qZRCbMyQw - standing + some mat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e6eezMoFyI - standing + some mat

Band is used for upper and lower body work in those.

If you're willing to do floor, she has a lot more, a youtube search for "Barlates band" or "barlates loop" will pull up a lot more, most with lower body focus.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-20, 09:47 AM  
VainJane

Thank you both, I'll check out those videos. I enjoy Jessica's fusion workouts, completely forgot she also has more traditional strength workouts. And I've been meaning to try Linda's videos as well.
Old 07-21-20, 09:55 AM  
tangerine

You're welcome! I just remembered that HasFit has some standing ones too, they are more traditional strength training:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18hPypKsQ8w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j-PyCVLvMw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUipWn2gf1M

They use the tubes with handles so if you have that type, might be worth checking out.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-20, 11:09 AM  
Erica H.

Thank you! These will be great for when we travel.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-20, 11:46 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

do you want pilates-style workouts or traditional strength workouts that use resistance bands?

pilates style that uses a band (these are the flat bands):
  • Shape Makeover your Abs Butt & Thighs Fast with Lizbeth Garcia - has a 25 min standing routine
  • The Method Standing Pilates Blend with Katalin Zamiar - 30 min standing routine
  • Winsor Pilates Power Sculpting with Resistance Buns & Thighs - this is a floor routine but a big VF favorite

traditional strength training that uses a flat band:
  • Cathe Friedrich Travel Fit - 30 min standing segment, followed by 15 seated - this is a really excellent workout even if you're not traveling

all of the above have detailed VF reviews in the review section.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-20, 01:42 PM  
Erica H.

[QUOTE=bzar;2883065]do you want pilates-style workouts or traditional strength workouts that use resistance bands?

Not the OP, but I am looking for traditional strength band workouts on youtube for when we travel. I'm afraid to use the hotel gym now due to covid.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-20, 02:57 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

[QUOTE=Erica H.;2883080]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
do you want pilates-style workouts or traditional strength workouts that use resistance bands?

Not the OP, but I am looking for traditional strength band workouts on youtube for when we travel. I'm afraid to use the hotel gym now due to covid.

Erica
Cathe's Travel Fit - as mentioned above

these use resistance tubing:
P90x - there's at least 1 cast member doing the moves with bands
CLX - there's at least 1 cast member doing the moves with bands
Gilad's Cuts & Curves - this is one of the most difficult band workouts i've done - i've done it once, but next time, i'll use a less intense band
You Being Beautiful - led by Joel Harper (this is from the Dr's Oz and Roizen series)

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-20, 03:07 PM  
VainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
I want to try some traditional strength workouts in addition to the mat pilates and fusion workouts I've been doing, since I feel that my body needs some extra "oomph" after several months of decreased activity due to COVID-19. Thank you so much for the recommendations!

Tags
band workouts, resistance band workouts, resistance bands, resistance tubing