Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-29-20, 03:52 PM  
Calistro

Another one who needs a nice long warm up. I don't even mind if it is 10 minutes long as my 52 year old body is too stiff in the morning.
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-20, 03:56 PM  
dianestjohn

I've always loved a long, Cathe-style warmup - 7 - 10 minutes with the intensity ramping up, ramping up, ramping up - some of Cathe's warmups actually could qualify as the workout itself towards the end, it's kind of a seamless transition with her step workouts. I always feel with Cathe that I can go so much longer and stronger, more comfortably, after her excellent warmups. With instructors who give you 5 minutes of walking, kicking and stretching, I tend to get tired and grumpy during the workout because it feels too hard and too abrupt sometimes.
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-20, 06:26 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I'm another 4-5 minute warm up person. I might need more than that if I worked out in the morning, but the earliest I ever do is noon and that's a stretch. By the time I usually work out I'm pretty warm and don't need more than a few minutes to be ready to go. So I'm with Rhonda

I don't want it to be any longer than that and I don't need it to be longer than that or I would be bored, bored, bored. Cathe's extended warm ups for her kickboxing workouts make me crazy they are soooo looooooong and drawn out. Ugh.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-20, 07:56 AM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianestjohn View Post
I've always loved a long, Cathe-style warmup - 7 - 10 minutes with the intensity ramping up, ramping up, ramping up - some of Cathe's workouts actually could qualify as the workout itself towards the end, it's kind of a seamless transition with her step workouts. I always feel with Cathe that I can go so much longer and stronger, more comfortably, after her excellent warmups. With instructors who give you 5 minutes of walking, kicking and stretching, I tend to get tired and grumpy during the workout because it feels too hard and too abrupt sometimes.
Sooo agree with this!!!
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-20, 08:24 AM  
alisoncooks

I like a short warmup. I find that I'm more particular about having a very thorough stretch after my workout.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-20, 10:56 AM  
Mickey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I like a short warmup. I find that I'm more particular about having a very thorough stretch after my workout.
I think I fit this category. I like a warmup that is about 5 minutes but I really enjoy a longer cooldown and stretch. I workout in the evening so I have already been moving around in my day, but if I worked out in the morning I would like at least 5 minutes or maybe a tad more for the warmup.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-20, 11:52 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
....but I really enjoy a longer cooldown and stretch.
Kim
+1 my joints feel better since I have started doing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianestjohn View Post
I've always loved a long, Cathe-style warmup - 7 - 10 minutes with the intensity ramping up, ramping up, ramping up - some of Cathe's warmups actually could qualify as the workout itself towards the end, it's kind of a seamless transition with her step workouts. I always feel with Cathe that I can go so much longer and stronger, more comfortably, after her excellent warmups. With instructors who give you 5 minutes of walking, kicking and stretching, I tend to get tired and grumpy during the workout because it feels too hard and too abrupt sometimes.
+2 on this

I used to hate long warmups and would skip them Also too impatient for cooldown/stretches in my youth

Now I will often add another workout or do my own extra warmup and cooldown if I'm doing a vigorous workout that has inadequate length of either.

Moderate workouts don't usually need as long but I listen to my body. it might need it if I did a hard workout the day before. For my gentle or low key workouts it's not necessary to have long of either.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-20, 02:19 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

when i used to use my polar HR monitor, i noticed that it takes me around 30 min before i'm thoroughly warmed up.

As it is, my RHR is really low, and i recover really quickly. once my HR has elevated and stayed that way, that's when i can tell i'm warmed up.

That said, i don't usually impose a warm-up that long! instead, i just monitor my perceived exertion. if i feel like really amping it up, i do, but only moderately so, i do so not by jumping up and down, but by really elongating my large muscle groups. that's plenty of intensity for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
do my own extra warmup
yes to this - if i am playing the intro of a DVD, i walk in place the entire time in making that my warm-up. i recall how people complained about long commercials before or during a workout - i now use those times to march vigorously in place or do extra reps as the case may be.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
over 40, over 50, stretching, warm ups, warm-up, warmup, warmups