Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-20, 02:44 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
Fantastic idea. Two sets of soft weights for options would still be less expensive than a weighted vest.
Expense is not my only consideration. I am short and have a short torso so finding vests that fit is an issue. I was considering using a weight plate but the 10 lb plate I have is uncomfortable. I think I want to start walking with 5 pounds anyway. I think I might be able to "mold" the soft weights into a shape that is evenly distributed in my pack.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-20, 02:50 PM  
IceQueen07

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I think I might be able to use the soft weights in a backpack in lieu of a weighted vest. This would be more comfortable than using an iron plate. I don’t see a weighted vest in their specials.
No the weighted vest was last year.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-20, 02:58 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceQueen07 View Post
No the weighted vest was last year.
I see that. Although they likely did not have one that would fit me anyway. I don't know where I can go to try them on. Everything is online now and it's such a hassle to return weighted items. I am avoiding Amazon like the plague nowadays even though I have Prime. I am probably cancelling Prime when it comes up for renewal this month.
If the soft weights don't work I guess I can try vests at Dicks Sporting goods or WalMart. I think there is a fitness supply place about 15 miles away as well.
Old 01-04-20, 02:56 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I got the soft weights the other day but haven’t had a chance to even open the box. I will do later and try them out in my day pack. I hope it works.
Does anyone know if Aldi accepts returns? I have never seen anyone return anything there. They never have enough people working there and the lines are so long. I guess that’s how they keep the prices so low.
Old 01-04-20, 03:12 PM  
sherry7899

They do take returns. Just go straight to a cashier when you walk in the store.

I have not bought them yet I may wait and see if they get marked down . I have too much barely used equipment and I am trying to justify spending on them.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-20, 05:15 PM  
IceQueen07

I picked them up today, but haven't opened the box.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-20, 01:16 PM  
Vantreesta

You guys are bad influences! I never go to Aldi but I went today and got the soft weight plates, nice thick fitness mat, scales and a massager. Eek! Good thing I had Christmas money to spend! I wasn't too interested in the weights till Leslie mentioned using them in a backpack. I have a Cathe 10# weighted vest I use on the treadmill but since we love hiking with a pack and hopefully at some point backpacking from camp to camp, I thought I could alternate a weighted pack with my vest since the weight is distributed differently.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-20, 05:40 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Vantressa, glad to enable you. I put the 5 lb. weight in a small pack that I got as a freebie on a cruise. I put it on top of some rolled up hand towels so the weight would sit higher on my back. I think it will work well to start with. I put the 8lb weight in a small hydration pack that I no longer use., also on top of rolled up towels. This one will probably work but right now it is uncomfortable. I will start with the 5 lb weight and work my way up.
Old 01-07-20, 10:11 PM  
Vantreesta

Thanks for the towel tip, Leslie. I won't be using my small pack till summer so I'll try it with that for now.

I really hope the scales are accurate.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 12:56 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I just posted on the Weighted vest thread that I walked 4 miles today with the 5 lb weighted pack. It worked very nicely. I am planning on adding 1-2lb weights to each pack to gradually increase my load to the 8lb soft weight.

Tags
aldi, soft weight plates, weight plates soft