Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-18, 09:50 AM  
cindyw75

Help! How do you fit in your workouts?

I've been working from home for 20 years, so getting my workouts in has been easy for me. I wake up at 5, have some coffee, and then I workout at 6:30 or so. However, my work situation might be changing soon, and I might have to commute. I'll probably only have 30 minutes in the morning. And I'll have to do make up and hair...

I'm looking at possibly getting up at 4-4:30, and working out from 5-5:30. For those of you who work long hours and/or commute, how do you do make it work for you? How many days a week do you work out?
cindyw75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-18, 10:25 AM  
adrien_73

For me, unfortunately, the only way to get my full workout in is to get up at 3:30 AM Monday - Friday. It took me a year or so to adjust to this. At first I could only drag myself out of bed 2-3 days a week. Now I usually get up this early all 5 days! I have been on this schedule for about 7 years now!
I end up going to bed at 8:00. (7:30 when I am feeling overly tired...)
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-18, 11:04 AM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

If you find it hard to do 30 minutes to start with, you could start with shorter workouts, say 10 to 20 minutes long, until you get used to it and then build up to longer workouts. Maybe you could try for two to three workouts on weekdays and do longer workouts on the weekend.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-18, 11:40 AM  
cindyw75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan H View Post
If you find it hard to do 30 minutes to start with, you could start with shorter workouts, say 10 to 20 minutes long, until you get used to it and then build up to longer workouts. Maybe you could try for two to three workouts on weekdays and do longer workouts on the weekend.
I was thinking along those lines, but I was really thinking 30 minutes. But you are so right! Starting off with shorter workouts until I get used to the new schedule might be more realistic and less overwhelming. Thank you for the suggestion! I'm just trying to not fall off the wagon!
Old 03-15-18, 11:53 AM  
bubbles76

Yep, getting up early is the trick. I work outside the home with a 35 minute commute, each way. Friday I telework. During the summer, I work 10 hours a day, usually 6-7 days a week. Evenings are to cook dinner, help Tiny Bubble with homework, laundry some days, and weekends are to clean. If I didn't wake up early to workout, that would leave the evenings. The evenings are ideal, as I HATE waking up early, but then I chance not getting a workout in, as I have other time commitments.

I started out with shorter workouts -- the Firm Express, KCM, and Chris Freytag's 10 Pound Slimdown workouts. I also added on a ten minute yoga workout just to relieve the stress of getting up so early. Don't start with anything too strenuous, too complicated, too chirpy, or too loud haha! Especially if you are not an AM person.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-18, 12:36 PM  
BriscF

I'm a P.M. workout person

I'm the opposite of other people. I hate getting up early in the mornings; the idea of getting up at 4:00 or 5:00 am just to work out does not appeal to me whatsoever, so I work out in the evenings when I get home. I have a 40 minute commute each way and get home around 6:00 p.m. (give or take depending on traffic). The absolute first thing I do is my workout. I've been consistent with this for years. It works for me!
BriscF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-18, 01:53 PM  
donnamp

For me, right now, I'm splitting my workouts - in the morning I do something on the gentler side - Yoga or Pilates - for up to 30 minutes. In the evening I do a second "traditional" workout but keep it shorter - under an hour usually right around 30 minutes.

My caveats, my DH works very strange hours so we don't have dinner together at night on Mon-Thurs - so I am able to jump right in on my workout when I get home. If I have something else going on I either miss a day, juggle the days around, or try to get it done in the morning first thing.

My daughter is also older now and needs less assistance w/ HW, etc.

Hope this helps!

Donna

P.S. For my "traditional" workouts I have been following Pahla Bowers mini challenges ( posted on her blog, linked to her You Tube workouts) there are 5 scheduled workouts per week so that gives me some flexibility to make up missed workouts on Sat/Sun if I have something going on in the evenings.

I will add for years I did it all in the morning, but this year, my DD started H.S. which entails getting out the door at 7:00 as opposed to 8:15 and I just do not have the organization or energy to get a full workout done that early in the mornings. Once summer comes, I will probably go back to getting it all done in the mornings so I can have my evenings free. I prefer that, honestly!
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-18, 02:08 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

I know, it's hard! I've fallen off the wagon many times, but I just get back on again and again. I remind myself of the benefits and keep going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyw75 View Post
I was thinking along those lines, but I was really thinking 30 minutes. But you are so right! Starting off with shorter workouts until I get used to the new schedule might be more realistic and less overwhelming. Thank you for the suggestion! I'm just trying to not fall off the wagon!

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-18, 02:13 PM  
cindyw75

Thanks, everyone! I guess ultimately I'll just have to make it work somehow. I'm not going to lie, I'm scared out of my mind! I've been home for so long. I exercise twice a day. I prepare dinner w/the help of my daughters every night. I do laundry everyday. I bake at least once a week. I've been spoiled for so long!
Old 03-15-18, 02:22 PM  
donnamp

I usually put a load of laundry in in the morning when I'm doing my workout -then it goes in the dryer while I'm getting ready - I just make sure the dryer is off before I leave the house!

I do a lot of batch cooking/meal prep on the weekends, and that helps, too. I use my crockpot and Instant Pot to help w/ those chores!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scheduling workouts