Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-16, 11:59 PM  
bfit

good lower body workout?

What is a good tough workout for the thighs and buns without too many squats and lunges? I can do some squats and lunges but not too many because I have iffy knees. On the other hand, if I do a short lower body workout without too many repetitions of anything I don't feel like it's tough enough. Ideas?
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-16, 12:04 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

the firm sculpted buns hips & thighs? it's an oldie, so brace yourself for the dated look, but it's a solid, all-floor workout.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-16, 01:38 AM  
AsSweetAsSugar

If you like floor work:

- Another oldie... The Original Buns of Steel with Greg Smithey
- Ballet Beautiful Body Blast has 30 min. total for the lower body, very tough (she does 32 reps for each exercise).

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-16, 01:50 AM  
bex

Not directly answering your question, but possibly helpful:

My physio has me doing squats with a stability ball between my back & the wall.

Put the ball mid-back and hold a wall squat = killer quad exercise, but zero knee strain when you come out of it.

Put the ball lower against your tail and do regular & sumo squats for deep glute work. Again, pressing your back against the ball = no knee strain up or down.
bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-16, 11:04 AM  
desie

Kettlebell swings and stepping onto a box are knee friendly and get your heart rate up.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-16, 05:56 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Stepping onto a box is what I believe killed my knees twice. Once with the Firm years ago and once again from doing Firm leg presses religiously for the past 1.5 years. No more, unfortunately. And I even used a high step topper and risers so my box would be lower than the Fanny Lifter.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-16, 09:30 PM  
Tugger31

Though it's not a specific lower body workout, nothing burns my butt and thighs like Cathe's Afterburn workout.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-16, 07:29 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Stepping onto a box is what I believe killed my knees twice. Once with the Firm years ago and once again from doing Firm leg presses religiously for the past 1.5 years. No more, unfortunately. And I even used a high step topper and risers so my box would be lower than the Fanny Lifter.
I was alternating step aerobics classes and those original Firms with running. I am still babying my right knee, 25 years later.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-16, 08:20 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Step aerobics had a big role in my knee problems, too - had to use two risers to show others in the class that I was advanced, you know. Learned my lesson and changed my ways there!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-16, 08:58 AM  
dnna

The best, and shortest , for me is Winsor Buns and Thighs. under 20 minutes, and very very effective. A harder workout-called "Winsor b&t on steroids" is Strong Strides. very very tough.
for a nice long workout, 45 minutes, I really enjoy doing Floor Burn with Susan Harris or Tamela Hastings . they are the same workout .
Buns of Steel with Greg Smithy is funny and hard.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floorwork, knee, knee friendly, lower body workouts, lunge-free, no lunges, no squats, squat-free, strong stride