Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-16, 12:27 PM  
Tugger31

Workout help for Hubby

My hubby just completed the 30 Day Plank challenge and he wants to continue working out in some capacity. He's almost 60, a former runner, but has had two rotator cuff surgeries years ago and has low back problems. The low back problem is more related to a weak core than any true injury.

He's really an exercise novice and does not like working out to dvds. An instructional dvd is great for showing him form etc, but he will not follow along with a dvd for a workout b/c they intimidate him and he likes to workout at his own speed.

Are there any good paper workouts/books that anyone can recommend? He'd like to make good use of a stability ball and a BOSU but is not opposed to using bands and dumbbells as well. He's more interested in general functional fitness as he ages, not interested in looking like Sagi.

Thanks!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-16, 01:48 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I don't do paper workouts, but The New Rues of Lifting for Life book by Alwyn Cosgrove and Lou Schuler gets good reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lift...fting+for+life

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-16, 04:15 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

My brother really liked Turbulence Training. Admittedly, Craig Ballantyne markets this like an infomercial and sells for trying to get a "look". But it does seem like a good workout that uses bodyweight exercises. (It seemed pretty popular on VF too for a while.)

However, do you think he might be willing/able to get into a local Pilates class by a certified instructor for a few weeks? It could help give him some relief for his low back pain by bringing awareness to the core, develop the core, and then he can take those benefits to other exercise programs.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-16, 05:10 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I don't do paper workouts, but The New Rules of Lifting for Life book by Alwyn Cosgrove and Lou Schuler gets good reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lift...fting+for+life
I second this. He might also want to check out Mark Lauren's You are Your Own Gym. YAYOG is a program of progressively more difficult body-weight exercises.

He might also want to look into Becoming A Supple Leopard by Kelly Starett.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-16, 06:59 PM  
Chomper

Men's Health Power Strength Training by Robert Dos Remedios. Great resource. Different workout program options. It's a template and you're supposed to plug in exercises from the different categories so each workout is different, in case that turns him off. You can choose whether to do full body or push/pull.

Also Strong by Shuler and Cosgrove, it's their most recent and is great. This one the exercises are laid out for you and you stick with the same two workouts for 6 weeks, if that appeals more than the previous program.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-16, 07:24 PM  
Tiny

My husband hates to workout but surprisingly he has been sticking to the floor work from http://fit450.com/HTML/5BX_Intro.html. It's the 5BX Plan. He had back issues prior to starting this and he has zero back pain now. He also had a weak core. He's been doing it for about 6 months now. I'm just happy his back pain is no longer a problem. He was doing the running in place part but he said his foot hurt while doing it so I told him to stop doing that part and just stick with the floor work. It's short in sweet, maybe 10 minutes or so.

H.O.P.E.=Hold On Pain Ends
D.I.E.T.=Did I Eat That

"If I fall, I will get back up. If I am beaten, I will return."
"Strong is what happens when you run out of weak."
"As the New Year dawns we look back on a year of upheaval through the world and through our lives as well. Life is difficult. For those of us raised with the illusion that if we go to school, work hard, all will be well, that illusion dies hard."
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5bx, mark lauren, you are your own gym