Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-30-15, 12:28 PM  
TinierTina

Oh, I forgot ...

Hilarious (but wise) modifying video, about the "Power Jack"

How to Do a Low Impact Jumping Jack

The star of this video, herself states:

"Watch this video to and see what doing power jacks correctly looks like. Know that you can modify jumping jacks without wasting your time at the gym - power jacks are a modification, not a break while everyone else in the group works hard ..."

Look, I myself do not go quite that hard. My non-injury-free arms (hello, old yoga injuries !) , get achy and tired with all the upmodifying for all the downmodifying of my lower body I'm doing throughout my entire session of various moves .. ... but you get the drift ....

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-15, 12:48 PM  
andtckrtoo

I have had so many doctors tell me that treadmills are horrible for body mechanics. I think the occasional run on one when there is no other option is okay, but I try to avoid them.

I have had knee surgery and have a wonky knee. I have to be careful, but that being said, I've found that I HAVE to work the lower body and fairly heavily so I keep the muscle tone there so that my knee does less work. I also have pf so I'm a walking basket case.

It took me a year until I could pretty much do anything I could before after the surgery. If you don't wear a brace, I recommend getting one (like a neoprene sleeve - more for support than anything else). I still wear one for 99% of my workouts.

I've gotten very good at modifying impact. I'm currently doing Cathe's March 2014 rotation. It's Low Impact, but I sub some things out. Some of the step workouts will get switched out for kickbox. I can do some step, but the twisty turny ones, no, unless I know them really well. Kicks for kickbox can be challenging, too, but I have a marital arts background, so I make sure I do the kicks right and if it hurts, I sub a different kick. I don't do Slide and Glide - that's way too much stress, but I can handle some disc work. And again, I'll sub a move if the one she does is too crazy. I try to keep the move working the same area - for example - the sit out where you are in a plank then swing your one leg through so you are sitting with you butt on the ground and both heels down (or in a kick - she does both) I sub with mountain climbers - the twisting hurt my knee.

My surgeon is very much in the school of do whatever you want as long as it doesn't hurt, so I have been testing my boundaries.
Old 11-30-15, 03:43 PM  
lcohen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinierTina View Post
Did you try doing "Advanced Search" of General Discussion, then "search by tag" for "knee pain" and another search for "modifications". You would get this one:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=213180

and many others relevant.
Thanks. When I did a regular search this is a topic that came up but I didn't see many specific video or premix suggestions which is why I posted my question. I will take a look at the video you suggested. Thank you.
lcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-15, 03:47 PM  
lcohen
VF Supporter

Talking Did MMA Fusion with Modifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post

I've gotten very good at modifying impact. I'm currently doing Cathe's March 2014 rotation. It's Low Impact, but I sub some things out. Some of the step workouts will get switched out for kickbox. I can do some step, but the twisty turny ones, no, unless I know them really well. Kicks for kickbox can be challenging, too, but I have a marital arts background, so I make sure I do the kicks right and if it hurts, I sub a different kick. I don't do Slide and Glide - that's way too much stress, but I can handle some disc work. And again, I'll sub a move if the one she does is too crazy. I try to keep the move working the same area - for example - the sit out where you are in a plank then swing your one leg through so you are sitting with you butt on the ground and both heels down (or in a kick - she does both) I sub with mountain climbers - the twisting hurt my knee.

My surgeon is very much in the school of do whatever you want as long as it doesn't hurt, so I have been testing my boundaries.
Great suggestion for the rotation. Thank you SO MUCH!!

I did a modified version of Cathe's MMA Fusion today and feel pretty good at them moment. Instead of doing single forward lunges I did rear triple lunges. Less changing and instability. I will definitely take a closer look at the March 2014 rotation you mentioned as I have all of her DVDs and all of the rotations in my Evernote files. I think a key for me getting back into things is slowly start adding things. Like add one cardio and two weight workouts back in instead of doing what the type-A side of me wants to do (add 6 high impact exercise days like I used to). Trying to be smart about it!

Please keep any DVD or premix suggestions coming.
lcohen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knee, knee pain, lunges, modifications, pain, squats, strong stride