Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-15, 03:47 PM  
Yelly

Your Favorite Intermediate-Level Workouts?

I'd like to start a rotation alternating advanced and intermediate workouts, to prevent burnout and dread. I have plenty of advanced workouts. Which workouts/instructors would you classify as intermediate? What are some of your favorite intermediate workouts or workout sets at the moment? I like pretty much all genres - heavy weights, light weights, kettlebells, kickboxing/boxing, TA, barre/ballet, etc. Thanks!
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-15, 04:14 PM  
PrairieGem

I'm a perpetual intermediate, especially as I get older(ish). My two favorite workouts *of all time* are solid intermediate and easy to mod up or down, depending on impact and weights:

1. Amy Dixon's Women's Health Ultimate Fat Burn

Long circuits alternating cardio and a sort of AWT (lots of compound moves). Very straightforward choreography, no weird things with the weights, and Amy is *really* fun in this one. One thing, though: You can't mind TIFTT, because there's a ton of it in here. About 40 min.

2. Cindy Whitmarsh's Ten Days to a Better Body
Also circuits, this time alternating one minute of cardio (sports drills) with one minute of straightforward, old-school weights. These are timed intervals, and I know a lot of people prefer to count their reps instead, so YMMV. She shows low impact and high impact versions of each cardio move. Two workouts, each about 35 minutes; one UPWO, one LB.
Old 06-05-15, 04:42 PM  
Yelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
I'm a perpetual intermediate, especially as I get older(ish). My two favorite workouts *of all time* are solid intermediate and easy to mod up or down, depending on impact and weights:

1. Amy Dixon's Women's Health Ultimate Fat Burn

Long circuits alternating cardio and a sort of AWT (lots of compound moves). Very straightforward choreography, no weird things with the weights, and Amy is *really* fun in this one. One thing, though: You can't mind TIFTT, because there's a ton of it in here. About 40 min.

2. Cindy Whitmarsh's Ten Days to a Better Body
Also circuits, this time alternating one minute of cardio (sports drills) with one minute of straightforward, old-school weights. These are timed intervals, and I know a lot of people prefer to count their reps instead, so YMMV. She shows low impact and high impact versions of each cardio move. Two workouts, each about 35 minutes; one UPWO, one LB.
Thank you! They are both instructors who I have never worked out with, so I will for sure check them out!
Old 06-05-15, 04:55 PM  
prettyinpink

Suzanne Bowen

Tracie Long Longevity series
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-15, 04:55 PM  
prettyinpink

Suzanne Bowen

Tracie Long Longevity series and Stronger Longer. I think some of these could be either intermediate or advanced, depending on the weights used, but the pace seems more intermediate to me.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-15, 05:04 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Another vote for Suzanne Bowen. I am currently alternating her workouts with Leslie walks, Pilates, and my elliptical, (for the most part, sometimes other cardio).
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-15, 08:39 AM  
Yelly

Thank you! I have quite a few from Suzanne Bowen, so I will add her to my rotation.

Any other suggestions?
Old 06-06-15, 08:57 AM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

I think Chris Freytag's workouts fit the intermediate category. I especially like 10 lb Slimdown Extreme and her ACE HIIT series.

I agree with the Amy Dixon recommendation.

The Spartacus workouts, MH60, and DeltaFit Speed Shred from Rodale could also be done by and considered intermediate. The workouts are progressive so someone can stop at a certain progression to keep things intermediate.

If you like dance based cardio, Petra Kolber is amazing at creating interesting and doable choreography. I'd put Christi Taylor in this category although her choreography tends to be more complex.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-15, 09:10 AM  
Yelly

Thanks Sabine!
Old 06-06-15, 11:17 AM  
buttons11

I have several Intermediate boxes of DVD's...I tend to reach for these

Many early Michelle Dozois like Your Body Breakthru The Ultimate Workout DVD
KCM 30M to Fitness
Many Gilad like Lord of the Abs
Cathe Shock Cardio Travel Fit DVD
A lot of the 10M solutions can be intermediate
Tracey Mallet Get Your Body Back or Lose the Belly Flab or Booty Barre series
Jillian No More Trouble Zones
Strong Stride DVD - Lisa Watson
Jackie Warner Personal Training with Jackie Xtreme Timesaver Training DVD
"The secret to change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new" Socrates NOT the Greek one, Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book that Changes Lives by Dan Millman, 1984

"Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace" Dalai Lama

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." Earl Nightingale

Still training to outrun the zombies buttons
buttons11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
intermediate, intermediate workouts, strong stride