Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-14, 01:36 PM  
Michefit

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrien_73 View Post
Hi Katherine!

I have been a hardcore exerciser for 22 years and have tried everything! I tend to focus on intense cardio and moderate to heavy strength training and kettlebells.

About a month and a half to two months ago, I was having several overuse injuries flare up at the same time. I decided to try a Tracy Anderson Meta Omnicentric rotation. I had some decent muscles when I started and was afraid I would lose strength. ALthough I HAVE lost some overall strength, I am surprise at how much my butt has lifted and my thighs are still tight and toned and a bit slimmer! The overall caloric expenditure from these workouts is much lower than I am accustomed to, but they are obviously doing something! Plus my appetite has DECREASED from when I was doing my crazy intense workouts. The scale hasn't moved, but I have gained a great amount of flexibility in my lower body. This is HUGE since I have very tight quads and hips from all of the running I used to do.

I add 30 min of cardio, mostly step, spinning, kickboxing or rebounding at the end of the toning workouts. I cannot follow Tracy's dance cardio and it aggravates my knees.

Hope this helps a little!

Adrien
Same as me - "Tracy Anderson- the -miracle -worker" (but you have to do the work of course) I have NEVER lost inches like I have with her program. I used to think heavy weights were the way to go - now I am convinced otherwise. Interesting side note - I helped host a wedding shower on the weekend and got at least 3 compliments on my arms as well - looking toned and buff - and I have NEVER had this said to me while I was doing the heavy weights. For some reason heavy workouts puff me up and I lose definition. Anyway - highly recommend it! total body in 30 minutes BUT you still need to add cardio - that is the icing on the cake (pun intended)
Michefit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 01:43 PM  
katherine4

Thanks! Is the actual name of the video "the miracle workers", or are you talking about TA in general?

And, stupid question, but why do I have to add cardio? I am not really well informed about exercise, so I'm not clear about why cardio is necessary, especially if I'm not looking to lose weight but rather to tone and define. Doesn't strength training raise the heart rate enough to count? just asking, bc, frankly, i hate cardio!
katherine4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 04:23 PM  
LeanneM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katherine4 View Post
Thanks! Is the actual name of the video "the miracle workers", or are you talking about TA in general?

And, stupid question, but why do I have to add cardio? I am not really well informed about exercise, so I'm not clear about why cardio is necessary, especially if I'm not looking to lose weight but rather to tone and define. Doesn't strength training raise the heart rate enough to count? just asking, bc, frankly, i hate cardio!
Hi Katherine, Is this the same Katherine I was chatting with on Amazon? I'm no longer big on cardio either (I used to be a cardio queen, but have since fallen in love with weights), but it does help me with fat loss, which helps my muscles look more defined. There are a lot of workouts that get your heart rate up while also toning (like Tonique, the Firm workouts, Dream Body, the new PiYos even), so that you don't have to do cardio separately. That seems to work best for me by keeping me motivated.
LeanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 08:01 PM  
katherine4

Hi Leanne! Yes, it"s the same Katherine. That's so funny!!

I am going to run with Ballet Beautiful, I've decided, (in addition to some T25) I'll see how that goes for a few weeks before adding anything else. Wish me luck! And thanks so much for all your feedback!
Old 06-30-14, 08:06 PM  
SabrinaD

Quote:

I am going to run with Ballet Beautiful, I've decided, (in addition to some T25) I'll see how that goes for a few weeks before adding anything else. Wish me luck! And thanks so much for all your feedback!
Hi Katherine, keep us posted on your results with ballet beautiful. That is something I eventually want to add to my routine.

I exercise because somehow completely exhausting myself is the most relaxing part of my day

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"
SabrinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 08:48 AM  
LeanneM

Quote:

Yay! It's so great to see you here! Good luck, and keep me posted on how it goes! It sounds like an interesting combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabrinaD View Post
Hi Katherine, keep us posted on your results with ballet beautiful. That is something I eventually want to add to my routine.
Sabrina, BB is really great for the legs! MH Bowers seems so sweet . . . but then she kills you with all those leg lifts and bridges!
Old 07-01-14, 12:42 PM  
SabrinaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanneM View Post
Yay! It's so great to see you here! Good luck, and keep me posted on how it goes! It sounds like an interesting combo.

Sabrina, BB is really great for the legs! MH Bowers seems so sweet . . . but then she kills you with all those leg lifts and bridges!
Leanne, what are the names of the DVDs that you own for BB?

I exercise because somehow completely exhausting myself is the most relaxing part of my day

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"
SabrinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 12:10 AM  
LeanneM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabrinaD View Post
Leanne, what are the names of the DVDs that you own for BB?

I own all four of them, but her first two are the ones I prefer:

http://www.amazon.com/Ballet-Beautif...llet+beautiful

http://www.amazon.com/Ballet-Beautif...llet+beautiful

Hope that helps!
Old 07-02-14, 07:10 AM  
Michefit

Hi Katherine - sorry for my late response. It is just Tracy Anderson I am referring to - she is a miracle worker for me. Nothing has worked like her Metamorphisis workouts and I have a done a ton of heavy leg workouts - and total body workouts etc...

I have gone down at least 2 pant sizes and my stomach is flatter than ever. As a short person (5'2) any heavy resistance seems to puff me out and thicken me up.
No I guess you don't need to do cardio - to be honest I sweat like crazy just doing her 30 minute toning workouts. Don't be fooled - just because she is not using heavy weights you are working hard trying to balance and work the angles she puts you in. It is tough (but rewarding) 30 minutes. I feel very pulled in and tight after each workout.

She recommends the cardio to burn the fat around the muscle to get the leanest look - but maybe toning is all you need if you are already thin. I like the cardio for the endorphin effect and to keep my heart and shape (and to burn fat - my body gains easily).
HTH -
Michefit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-14, 07:44 PM  
katherine4

Thank you! I've been doing Ballet Beautiful and I really think it's going to help address the saddlebags/upper thigh area. One thing that concerns me, though, is that it doesn't focus on the quads. I'm not getting the quad burn with BB that I was getting with the squats and lunges that I had been doing before, and I'm afraid that without that burn that the quads will start to get flabby.

How does Tracey Anderson deal with the quads if her focus is the long and lean look? Can one work the quads without it being counterproductive to the goal of long and lean thighs? Thanks again!

Tags
lower body tightening, lower body workouts, strong stride