Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-13, 09:45 AM  
lorajc

Why oh Why Do You Not Include a WarmUP?

I'm not a Robot, I'm not a Machine, and I'm definitely not 21! Why does Dreambody and other workouts, YES you Michelle Dozois start off right into the workout......okay, I'm guilty of just starting a DB workout and jumping right in and now I'm having back pain......I'm going back out there to do a proper workout......why oh why must they do this to us? I'm 54.....is it only me.....or do others feel this way?
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 09:51 AM  
Snuckles

I boycott workouts without warm ups and cool downs. I'm too lazy to do them by myself.
Old 08-08-13, 10:04 AM  
LoveVA

I don't understand it either. I'm previewing the new DBs and again, no warmup. I'm not sure what the reluctance is to a decent warmup.

I thought I would be someone who would boycott DVDs with no warmup (I've been spoiled by my Cathe DVDs which have great warmups), but I now realize that I have quite a few that don't have the type of warmups that I need to really get going: Tonique, Dream Body, Atletica 4 (that one doesn't even have a cooldown/stretch!). I end up having to use a Cathe DVD for warmups and cooldowns very often.

The Michelle Dozois warm-ups don't really bother me. They are a little fast off the bat, but I'm okay with them. Not sure why.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 10:25 AM  
bubbles76

Yes, I have gotten rid of many a workout that did not include a warm up. I'm a bit more leniant if they don't include a cooldown, since I usually walk around more and stretch more than what's included on the dvd anyway. I still have Montenegro Method dvds, which do not have a warm up, but I really like Amy Bento's Drop Set Strength warm ups, so I think I will substitute that one instead.

ETA: I'm 37 and still feel warm ups are necessary
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 10:29 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Add me to the list I didn't appreciate the lack of warm up (or cool down!) in JNL Fusion, and continue to be bemused by the lack of warm up in Dream Body. I was astounded that Michelle didn't provide one for her Cardio Strength workouts. Not including a "peak" in the first circuit doesn't make it count as a warm up.

I don't ever just jump in without a warm up, so I like to do a classic Firm warm up (such fun music), and think Jeannette Jenkins' Bikini Body Bootcamp warm up is really comprehensive. Cathe's Cross Fire w/u is too. But I shouldn't have to - especially for $$$ DVDs.

If Zuzka can provide a w/u and c/d on her very affordable DVDs, why can't the other ones charging $100++ do it? Just sayin.

I think JNL does it so she can advertise a "30 minute workout" but by the time you add w/u AND stretch it is more like a 40-45 minute workout.
Old 08-08-13, 10:37 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

I think you're right about JNL and the timing, and I'm wondering if DB does the same thing -- they just don't want to go over one hour. JNL did get me to figure out a fairly quick mobility/warm-up that I now do pretty much before any workout -- even those with warm-ups. So, I guess it's not all bad for me (but I didn't buy JNL for a long long time partially because of that lack of warm-up).
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 10:45 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Thank you!!!! Yes! I feel the exact same way and it ticks me off big time. Especially since, like others said, we pay good money for these workouts and there is just no excuse in my book to not at least film a decent warm up and then chapter the disc so that those who would prefer to skip it can press the "chapter skip" button on their remote.

I actually started a thread on this awhile back. I'm on my phone and don't know how to link to it on here but it was called "fitness instructors, please take the time to film decent warm ups"

I'm 40 but I have always needed warm ups!!
Old 08-08-13, 11:04 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebianco View Post
I think JNL does it so she can advertise a "30 minute workout" but by the time you add w/u AND stretch it is more like a 40-45 minute workout.
ITA-- in fact, I have made that point in at least one thread about JNL. A "30 minute workout" should include the warmup and cooldown, which would make the actual workout part about 15-20 minutes.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 11:04 AM  
deineira

I will pile on here too! I also have a big problem with the lack of warm-up, and it was one of the things about the DB workouts that bugged me. I would tack on a Cathe warm-up, and though that's doable, it is slightly annoying to have to get another workout together for that. Sometimes I just do my own thing, but mine are not as thorough. Cathe is the queen of warmups. She gives you a nice easing in and it's nice when the workout is going to be brutal.

That being said, I'm not a fan of the Tonique warm ups either...she has them, but they are just odd and don't really seem geared towards the workout she's about the lead. They're a little to freeform to me. I guess I have a pretty narrow idea about what I think is an appropriate warm up.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 11:16 AM  
PrairieGem

ITA!! And another thing... a warmup is movement, active motions that get your heart rate up and move blood to your muscles. It is NOT sitting on the floor and stretching!!! (I am looking at YOU, Denise Austin and Billy Blanks!) Even barre workouts understand that.

I'm not a fan of the warmups in Firm Express--I think they're too quick and the moves are confusing--but they're THERE, and they actually get the job done. Which is more than I can say for some. (crab, crab, crab)

There's no WU/CD in JNLF?! Wow, I will stop thinking I might be interested in it! An extra 5-8 minutes tacked on for at least a cursory warmup and stretch wouldn't bother me in a workout billed as 30 min. And you can do what FX did--some of the workouts clock in under 19 min, some are just over 21... but that's all pretty much 20 minutes IMO, so it doesn't bug me.

Tags
warm ups, warm-up