Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-17-13, 04:20 PM  
PrairieGem

Smile Favorite KCM kick/boxing workout?

I posted a couple weeks ago about my brand-new burgeoning love affair with KCM after having tried Cardio Blast. (I'm now doing the premixes that combine the step and plyo combos and loving them!) In that thread, you guys talked me into Circuit Burn, but at the moment I'm actually leaning toward Boot Camp; I watched the previews and the moves in CB just look really weird and awkward to me. But BC looks really fun! Anyway. This is a different question.

I think I'd also like to pick up one of her boxing/kickboxing workouts (not Stepboxing; one step w/o is enough for me right now). Ideally, I'd love something that does *both;*--I liked the looks of one of the workouts on TLC, but not the other, and the Kickboxing one looks really repetitive (I'm actually a TIFTT lover, but this looks like it's a lot of the same moves and like both workouts are pretty similar). But I'm sure I'm missing a hidden gem! Isn't there one that came out this year, too?

And a second question: how are her form pointers? I love kick/boxing and how it strengthens my core, but I haven't done it seriously in a loooong time, and with some of the workouts I have now (like Caribbean Workout) I feel kind of loosey-goosey with my form.

Thanks!!
Old 07-17-13, 05:05 PM  
mrsyancy

TLC.....I love this workout......the first one is more boxing than kick boxing, but its fun and effective....IMO.....it's a solid intermediate workout.....I love more advanced work outs, but this one leaves me feeling good and worked out afterwards

The second workout is considered conditioning, but it gets your HR up pretty good and I'm always sore after this one.....N E way it's one of my favorite kickbox work outs(and I have quite a few)......HTH
mrsyancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-13, 05:08 PM  
sherry7899

In 30MTF Step Kickboxing, Lauren does the workouts without a step That dvd also has premixes that includes strength work that is not included in the regular two workouts.

I love TLC-it is really fun!

I don't find her first kickboxing dvd (not the one that just came out) repetitive at all. She pretty much does a combo and then moves onto another one.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-13, 05:13 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Gem, Kelly's new kickboxing DVD that was just released is Total Body Kickbox. I haven't tried it yet (but it's on my Wish List, if anyone wants to trade with me! ), but I know that it has two workouts, one traditional kickboxing, and one slower kickboxing/toning with weights. It seems like there have been mixed reviews on this one.

I have her older Kickboxing DVD, and I like it a lot. I don't think that the moves are repetitive at all; in fact, one of the things I like about it is that Kelly finds such unique (yet simple, at least to me) twists on the moves that are really fun. I have NO problems at all following Kelly's cuing in this one--and I suck at complicated choreo--but I know that others have complained that she doesn't cue well.

I would also suggest that you not rule out Circuit Burn and/or TLC. I got Circuit Burn first and wasn't sure if I would like it since I love kicking so much and CB only has boxing. However, Kelly's boxing combos are really fun! Also CB has SO MANY premixes that it's one of my most used DVDs. I love the boxing on TLC too (Workout #1), but I don't use the second workout as often.

Hope this helps!

Oh, and PS because you said that you like how kickboxing helps your core: the first Kickboxing DVD has a BONUS Core segment that includes standing core work (really like this!) and then floor abs as well.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-13, 08:23 PM  
penl

Beth described everything very well. My personal preference: Bootcamp & the first kickboxing DVD. I like kickboxing that has a good amount of kicking and her first one does, not so much kicking in her others. I do want to add that TLC has gotten the most raves on VF.
penl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-13, 08:41 PM  
JP44

KCM's 30 Min Kickboxing (her first one) is one of my absolute favorite kickboxing dvds! She does 2 minutes of a combo then you never see it again. She'll do short drills in between combos but each one goes quickly & are fun. I love the creativity of the combos and all the kicking variety! Front kicks, back kicks, side kicks, roundhouses & crescent kicks. Great sweatfest & calorie burn! The music is terrific too.

Re: complaints about her cueing: She sometimes cues on the move ("Now add a kick") w/ no warning. Other times, she'll give vague advance notice ("Next time, I'll add a change"). She also cues "Punch" vs. "Cross punch". She'll do a combo of punching and not tell you any of them: (cross, hook, uppercut, hook). You have to watch & figure it out.

BUT, it is such a fun workout & worth the effort to learn it. If you do both of the main workouts, it's about 53 min long. I don't care for the standing ab section (too repetitive IMO) but the primary workouts are terrific!

FWIW, I had Circuit Blast, Bootcamp & NYC and sold all of them. Kelly's shoulder work isn't the safest IMO and all these dvds caused issues for me.

Joan

Last edited by JP44; 07-17-13 at 09:13 PM. Reason: clarity
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-13, 08:46 PM  
juberann

TLC Boxing. Probably my favorite Boxing workout ever! I also like her first 30 Minutes to Fitness KickBoxing workout a bit better then the new one
Old 07-17-13, 09:15 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

tlc!!!!!!!!!!!!

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-13, 06:55 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

What is TLC?????

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-13, 07:28 AM  
Zenara25

Quote:
Originally Posted by macska View Post
What is TLC?????
Kelly Coffey-Meyer TLC (Train Like A Contender)
It's an excellent boxing workout.
Zenara25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boxing, favorite kcm, kcm, kelly coffey meyer, kickboxing, step without a step