Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-01-13, 12:25 PM  
momtoaboyandgirl

Can anyone tell me about this dvd?

Strong Stride by Lisa Watson.
I want a lower body workout and am looking at Cathes Lower Body Blast and Gym Style Legs. But I hear Strong Stride mentioned a lot is it similar? Is there floor work? Any opinions are appreciated, thanks
Old 05-01-13, 12:40 PM  
dnna

I just posted this on the I Hate Shorts thread. This dvd is a very straight forward no frills production. It is (to me) very intense floor work. I bought it after reading on vf that someone thought it was like Winsor buns and thighs on steroids! and it is! It is not as difficult as the Toniques. There are two programs, and they are both floorwork and run about 45 minutes.
here is what I posted on the other thread:
I started Strong Strides in March, 2 to 3 times aweek. I do 30-60 minutes of cardio before I do StrongStrides. I do Firms or fitPrimes on the other days.
I am trying to heal a shoulder injury so I am liking floor work.
I love Part 2, it is such killer floor work. I have done Margaret Richard Triple threat, and others for a long time. Also Winsor Buns and Thighs, but Strong Strides is a lot harder.
I cannot seem to get myself to do a Tonique workout. I keep thinking I will be able to if I continue with Strong Strides.
I would do this workout daily but am afraid of overuse injury because it is such a burn!
oh, results:super strong legs, I can feel a really positive change in muscle in all areas of legs, front and back, seriously got a good indent going on!
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-13, 01:55 PM  
violingal3

Here are a couple of Strong Stride threads:

http://forum.videofitness.com/search...archid=3909394

Inspired by the very same shorts thread dnna mentioned, I'm adding these back into my routine. I'm in the same boat where I cannot make myself do a Tonique workout no matter how hard I try. With these, I'll run for 30-45 min and then do one of the floor work workouts. If I can fit each one in once per week, I'll be a happy camper! My lower body responds well to floorwork, but only to compliment weight training, and these fit the bill for me.

I'll just paste my thoughts from a thread I started when I tried these earlier this year:

I'm a very athletic/simple person who is always trying to branch out of my comfort zone to barre, yoga, Pilates, fusion style workouts etc...to see if some new way of working out sticks for me. I got more into yoga the past year after several attempts, and now finally some Pilates is catching on for me.

I've always wanted to try Lisa Watson's Strong Stride workout and I have no idea what took me so long!!!! The weight training workouts are plain and simple, no complaints there. But the first two "mat work" programs are what I've been searching for!!!!!!!!! A lot of Pilates inspiration, but to me it's simple, athletic, HARD - just a little bit of everything to cover your entire lower body, abs, core, and back to make for an awesome mat workout. Fantastic, I love it!!!!

I always feel so bulky and not very graceful, so I think if I can incorporate each mat workout once a week, it will be the perfect compliment to all of my KBs, weights and running!

While I was at it, I bought the Strong Stride Cardio workout. Honestly, I kicked myself after I ordered it and didn't expect much when I planned it for my workout the other day. Between all the crazy intensity of ZCuts and Insanity, this looked kind of easy/boring. But this workout was awesome, too! Lisa maintains a controlled pace, only does ten reps of each exercise, and gives you a good two minutes of rest between sets. But don't let that fool you. It was no walk in the park and I was sweating like crazy. And I had some nice DOMs to remind me that this was a workout worth keeping.

Thumbs up for these DVDs, I haven't been this happy about a DVD purchase in a long time! These would be a fantastic travel workouts, too.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-13, 02:59 PM  
hotncmom

I bought Strong Stride just for the floor work and it is awesome, very thorough.
My routine is to alternate different types of lower body work daily, one day floor work, one day barre, one day standard squat/lunge stuff. It works well for me to get that balance, and the floor work from Strong Stride fits the bill, along with a few other DVD's I rotate in (High & Tight, Pure Sculpt). It's not the most exciting presentation, but the floor work is great and I even like doing the plank sections. I just don't do them that often because Ballet Body is my primary upper body workout. But there are 2 separate mat workouts on Strong Stride, each broken up into body parts, so it is easy to pick and choose the sections you want.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-13, 03:12 PM  
alisoncooks

Some pretty lengthy breakdowns/info (by yours truly) in this thread...

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...+stride&page=2
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-13, 06:55 PM  
leslie w
VF Supporter

I did the second mat workout the other day and my legs were fried. I do TA and Tonique workouts and I think Strong Strides is just as tough when you string all the sections together. I have also done just a section or two after a run. It's chaptered well so it's easy to skip around. I could see me getting a lot of use out of this DVD esp. during running season - which I'm preparing for now.

The only thing that bugs me is her voice. I lower the volume because it grates on my nerves. I don't think it's her though, I think it's due to poor acoustics or bad sound quality. Anyway, it's no biggie. The exercises are pretty basic so you won't have to worry about missing form pointers if you decide to hit the mute button.
leslie w is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lisa watson, strong stride