Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-13, 02:24 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
Agree with all said here, although I'm not sure that Squeeze Stronger can be beat when it comes to absolutely ridiculous warm-ups (hyper-fast "use your heaviest weight" deadlifts straight off the bat). Echoing Joni O's very good point, the first time I used Squeeze Stronger I did the upper-body premix and ended up with doms in my hamstrings for several days (and none at all in my upper body) strictly because of the insane warm-up.
LOL, I was thinking about that warm-up when I read this thread. My hamstring CRAMPED horribly the first, and only, time I did that warm-up. After that I did my own with that DVD.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-13, 02:27 PM  
EnglishIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I'm just the opposite - I'd rather not have a long warm up and cool down. I'm perfectly happy doing what I need on my own and having a larger portion of the DVD dedicated to the "meat" of the workout. I feel like I get more bang for my buck that way and I like doing my own thing for the warm up/cool down.
Another vote for this. Long warm-ups bore me to tears and anything over 3-4 minutes gets an automatic skip. I'm a little more tolerant of cool down/stretch but I always do my own basic set of stretches and often will ignore the instructor if they don't get right to it.
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-13, 02:37 PM  
cherimac

I think warmups and cooldowns are super important. DDVs should include them, IMO, and they should be their own chapter for those who like to do their own thing.
Old 01-10-13, 03:31 PM  
lselbach
VF Supporter

I think, sometimes, that instructors don't always have a lot of say-so on it. I remember an old interview with Jillian Michaels ,where she discussed her first DVDs - the Biggest Winner workouts. Apparently, the producers said EVERYTHING must fit into a 30 minute timeframe, and the warmup was shortchanged because of this.
Old 01-10-13, 03:35 PM  
rose2boys

Yes! Appropriate warm ups & cd/stretches for that actual workout, please!! Also, what happened to stretching out your neck area?

I actually prefer to have a short, but thorough & appropriate, warm up with longer cd/stretches. But, if a warm up is too long for my liking/time constraint, that's where chaptering is great.
Old 01-10-13, 03:36 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lselbach View Post
I think, sometimes, that instructors don't always have a lot of say-so on it. I remember an old interview with Jillian Michaels ,where she discussed her first DVDs - the Biggest Winner workouts. Apparently, the producers said EVERYTHING must fit into a 30 minute timeframe, and the warmup was shortchanged because of this.
That was true of Debbie Seibers when she filmed the two Slim Series Express workouts.
Old 01-10-13, 10:37 PM  
lila_says

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishIvy View Post
Another vote for this. Long warm-ups bore me to tears and anything over 3-4 minutes gets an automatic skip. I'm a little more tolerant of cool down/stretch but I always do my own basic set of stretches and often will ignore the instructor if they don't get right to it.
I completely agree.

ETA I completely agree with EnglishIvy & others who can't stand lengthy warmups --- I can stretch on my own, I'm using a dvd to work me hard.
lila_says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-13, 11:24 PM  
smilesolovely

Great thread & I totally agree with the initial post. In addition to Cathe I always like Amy Bento's warmups/cd stretch too.
Old 01-11-13, 09:12 AM  
katmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I'm just the opposite - I'd rather not have a long warm up and cool down. I'm perfectly happy doing what I need on my own and having a larger portion of the DVD dedicated to the "meat" of the workout. I feel like I get more bang for my buck that way and I like doing my own thing for the warm up/cool down.
The only problem I see with a DVD not including a warmup or cooldown, is if a true beginner purchases the DVD and does not do any warmup or cooldown. The beginner might not know the workout was harder or they were injured because they did not perform a warmup routine. Nor will they know that a cooldown routine can ease some of the muscle soreness and it is better to stretch the muscles while they are warm.
Old 01-11-13, 09:15 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Well, with DVD technology, this shouldn't even be a problem. As others have pointed out up-topic, with chapter points, it's easy enough to just skip over the part of the warm-up you don't want to do.

It just drives me crazy when DVD producers don't use the technology. They should be ashamed of themselves. And, I usually know when they don't because I always want a warm up, but don't like really long ones...

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooldown, warm ups, warm-up