Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-24-12, 01:03 AM  
bex

New to Kickboxing - Recommendations Wanted

Ok, I know I am the last person on earth to join this party. (If the party is even still going. I expect the chips and dip ran out a decade ago.) Who knows why, but years ago I decided kickboxing just wasn't for me and I never bothered to try.

This year I've gotten back into fitness and pulled out all my DVDs - half of them still virgins - with the intention to either use them or give them away. Last night I tried Gilad's Cardio Strike for the first time (which has basic kickboxing moves) and I loved, loved, loved it!! What on earth was I thinking, not doing this? THIS is what I want. I NEED MORE. I want to work up to having weighted gloves!!

Ok, so recommendations please. I am intermediate to upper-intermediate level fitness but totally new to kickboxing.

I'm looking for a DVD that has great explanations of what I should be doing (don't assume I know what angle a side kick should be) and an instructor who gives lots of form pointers. I think I'll prefer basic 'authentic' moves - not fancy aerobic dancy stuff with kickboxing mixed in.

Ideally, I'd like an upper-intermediate one that lets me work up a good sweat and aspire to be able to finish it. But if that's not possible, please recommend a good beginner one that I can use to learn the moves and then what should be my next one after that.

Of course I still have all those virgins to get to but hey, I might run out by the end of the year - so please enable me...
bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-12, 06:23 AM  
mj476

I would try anything by Ilaria. She has great form and gives great pointers. You could try Powerstrike. The more advanced ones are 5 and 6. 4 might be a good place to start but I only have 5 and 6 so can't comment on 4. As you go higher in number, they get more advanced. 6 goes pretty quickly.

You also might want to try Cathe's Kick, Punch and Crunch.

Marcy
Old 09-24-12, 08:18 AM  
PeakFitness

I second Ilaria, she's good at teaching the different kicks and punches.

I also love doing Cathe Kick Punch & Crunch, it's more high impact than Ilaria.
Old 09-24-12, 08:39 AM  
ckfromca

I love Susan Chung's kickboxing workouts.
Old 09-24-12, 09:59 AM  
Truth51

Rushfit! More than just kickboxing. I love this set!!
Just my opinion. Google it and check it out.
Truth51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-12, 10:41 AM  
pattyd0319

Another vote for Cathe Kick Punch & Crunch or any of her kickboxing offerings. I can always keep up with her combos and style of cuing compared to other instructors.

I also like 10 minute Solution Knockout body with Jessica Smith.
pattyd0319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-12, 09:00 PM  
bex

Everyone

Thanks very much for the suggestions! Ilaria's Powerstrike looks like it's exactly what I was looking for.

From years of reading this forum (on-and-off), I'm too intimidated to try Cathe. Maybe in another 6 months....
Old 09-24-12, 09:28 PM  
gmfreund
VF Supporter

Cathe's kickboxing is not nearly as intense as some of her other cardio . . . Kick, Punch and Crunch is pretty versatile, with a lot of premix options. I really like STS Cardio Kickbox - and again, it's not nearly as hard as you might imagine.

Ilaria's workouts are quite good.

If you get the form down and you're looking for fun -- try Turbo Fire. Actually, there's a "new-to-class" option that might even have form pointers, but I've never tried it. But the music is fun and the pace is really quick and you get a great workout.

Gwynn
gmfreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-12, 11:37 PM  
bex

Ooh, Turbofire. I think my local DVD store has it available for a really good price - I might give it a try.

Placed my order for Powerstrike 4 today, along with Gilad's Step & Tone and Karen Voight's Energy Sprint, because somehow my body is also telling me I MUST have more Step.

When I've conquered all of those, I'll give Cathe a try. Thanks again for the suggestions!

PS I know I'm probably a long way off - but for you expert kickboxers out there - at what point did you start using weighted gloves?
Old 09-25-12, 05:39 AM  
bk1

It wasn't until Beachbody added the weighted gloves for their 2nd Turbo Jam set that I started using weighted gloves. I think they started the trend around 5 years ago, and a lot of people followed it.
bk1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ilaria, ilaria montagnani, kickboxing