Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-15-10, 05:47 PM  
Sara1000

Remember the FIRM 'Balance Disc'?

That round green inflated thing?

Was there only one workout for this?

Is anyone still using the disc?

Anyone still use the original workout? It wasn't that great as I recall. I only used it maybe twice, when it first came out.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-10, 06:28 PM  
hypnomoon

I still have it. However, I haven't used it in quite a while. I just finished up the 3 month STS rotation, though.

I liked the Disc because it worked on balance and that is something I need to do. I'm pretty sure there was no other workouts for it other than the one that came with it.
That's a shame too. We'd probably not feel so turned off by all these gadgets if they'd make more videos that use them.

Kimberly
hypnomoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-10, 07:10 PM  
RedPanda

I bought a balance disk a few months ago to use with the core workout in Fitness Fix Intermediate. Then being the vidiot that I am, I managed to acquire the Firm DVD in a trade.

I never intended to do the cardio portion - I just don't like the idea of jumping onto an unstable surface, so I've only done the balance and core sections. (I know it sounds silly to trade for a DVD and only use two brief sections, but as I said, I am a vidiot.)

I did the balance and core sections once a week in a six-week rotation and the core section had an instant and dramatic effect on my core strength. It's one of those things I plan to revisit every now and then.

I found the balance section fairly challenging and I'm not sure I made much progress. I'm currently in Week 1 of a six-week V-Core challenge (doing the first workout three times a week) and see improvements in my balance every time. After I've worked through V-Core, I'll be interested to re-visit the balance workout on Skills, Drills & Thrills and see how much I've improved.

I agree that Skills, Drills & Thrills is a bit gimmicky, but I don't know how else you'd use a balance disk.
Old 04-15-10, 07:13 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

And being the vidiot I am, I have the dvd and not the disc! I used it with my bosu once. As I remember, it mostly worked.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-10, 07:26 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
And being the vidiot I am, I have the dvd and not the disc!
LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I used it with my bosu once. As I remember, it mostly worked.
The BOSU would work for the balance section, although it's probably a lot more firm (no pun intended) than the disk.

But Bee - you have to get a balance disk for the core workout! The first time I did it I felt queasy, and after that I just felt as though my abs had been ripped out of my body. But as I said, it did wonders for my core strength.
Old 04-15-10, 07:32 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

I have the disk (but the inflator broke, then I bought a basketball inflator...and never used it) but then I inherited a bosu so I just used that instead. I would say it mostly worked but I was NOT comfortable jumping onto the bosu in the aerobic sections.

With that said, I didn't much care for the workout and the aerobic sections were poorly cued and very confusing (admittedly I AM choreographically challenged, however I can usually master Firm aerobics, even the dancey ones).

The strength and balance sections were pretty good though, IIRC
Old 04-15-10, 07:37 PM  
cardiomama

I don't use the workout that came w/ the balance disc, but I do use the disc in other workouts for forward lunges, squats, planks, mountain climbers (hands on disc) & push-ups (variations w/ both feet on disc or single, both hands on disc). It's a cool tool, one of the better ones from the Firm kits.
cardiomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-10, 07:49 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiomama View Post
I don't use the workout that came w/ the balance disc, but I do use the disc in other workouts for forward lunges, squats, planks, mountain climbers (hands on disc) & push-ups (variations w/ both feet on disc or single, both hands on disc).
Hmm... using the disk with planks, mountain climbers & push-ups sounds good! I'll have to try that.

My balance disk is recommended for sitting on, although I'm not sure why you'd want to do that.
Old 04-15-10, 07:55 PM  
Sara1000

I didn't realize there were core and balance segments on the FIRM DVD. I like the idea of using the disc for lunges.

I will visit the DVD again.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-10, 08:27 PM  
counterclockwise

I think that workout had the potential to be really cool, but the off-beat-ness and then poor cueing just made it undoable for me (and I catch on to complicated moves pretty fast). I sold the DVD (I think) and still have the balance trainer. Never use it though.
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balance disc, balance disk