Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-07, 09:11 PM  
bfit

when is water too cold for swimming?

I normally go to an outdoor pool 3x a week where I swim laps for half an hour and then do an hour long deep water aerobics class. For the past week the pool heater has been broken so each time I've gone the water has been colder and colder. Yesterday when I went it was 75 degrees. When I was swimming my ears were aching, and I had to leave the aerobics class 10 minutes early because I was shivering and my toes were numb. Today I called the pool, and they said the temperature is down to 74 degrees. It won't be fixed and warmed up again until Monday. Does anyone know when water temperature is simply dangerous to swim in hypothermia-wise? If it's just a matter of discomfort I might be able to make myself keep going, but if it's dangerous I'm going to avoid it until the heater is fixed. . .
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 09:19 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

For what its worth, here is the first result on google: http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...1/gen01141.htm

I have to admit...I love it when the pool is cold, but then I like swimming laps.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 09:39 PM  
DRD0

74-75 is ok for swimming good hard fast laps, but for water aerobics, probably too cold. It really depends on your tolerance for cold. I have swum as cold as 68, and once the body goes numb, it is not too bad, just the first 200 yards or so is a shock. Our outdoor pools are chilly and not heated, so they will be in the 60's to low 70's. I will probably brave it tomorrow to swim.

FYI, competition temperature for the Olympics and FINA is 78 degrees.
DRD0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 10:03 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Bfit, if your ears were aching and you were shivering and your toes were numb it was too cold for you. No matter standards or other people's tolerance. Everyone is different: metabolism, fat insulation, activity, age, etc. Fortunately the situation should be back to normal next week and in the meantime why risk a heart attack?

If you, or anyone else, is interested in something they could wear in such situations I recommend the half-sleeved jacket on this page in the ultra stretch neoprene fabric: http://www.waterwarmups.com/wstyle.htm. I checked out a lot of different shirts and jackets and chose this one. Luv it. You can unzip it part way or remove it if you begin to get overheated. You can wear it under or over your swimsuit (or, as the creator says, just with bottoms).
Old 05-29-07, 10:35 PM  
Lifeisgood

Interesting thread. Thanks for the info. Judith.

I can't tolerate a cold pool.

A Goal Without A Plan Is Just A Wish
Lifeisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 11:00 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

I actually wear the warm up under my high neck lap suit and so you really only see the collar and sleeves and it doesn't look like I'm in a 'wetsuit'.

I go to the pool in the morning and put the warm up on first thing in the morning before I've done my usual morning exercises so that I've built up some heat in it before I get to the pool.
Old 05-30-07, 06:20 AM  
Liz N
VF Supporter

I'm sorry to do this in metric, but I find swimming in under 21 degree temps really uncomfortable.

"I believe your most attractive features are your heart and soul" Savage Garden

Looking for some fitness inspiration? Visit my blog - see profile
Liz N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-07, 06:54 AM  
snapfishsis

I have swum outside in the bay/ocean when it was 68 with a half wet suit on and could only tolerate 15-20 minutes.. and that was only because I HAD to... one of those, I need exercise I'm on the boat, I need to burn off some calories or someone's going overboard! Needless to say I had an attitude adjustment after that...

workouts?? pick a number...
snapfishsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-07, 07:21 AM  
roz

75 sounds perfect to me! I hate when water gets warm. I "swam" at Sand Beach, Acadia National Park-- it was in the 50's. Now that was painful! I could not stay in too long.
roz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-07, 08:34 AM  
mtnmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz N
I'm sorry to do this in metric, but I find swimming in under 21 degree temps really uncomfortable.
21C = 70F

Tags
aquatics, cold weather, wet suits