Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-04-22, 02:34 PM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Kate Vantucci's Hips & Shoulders:
https://youtu.be/xe2KI0ljdlU
Thank you for sharing this video. I did it this afternoon, followed by a meditation with Eoin Finn, 'Love Transcends All Distance'
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-22, 02:36 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
Thank you for sharing this video. I did it this afternoon, followed by a meditation with Eoin Finn, 'Love Transcends All Distance'
You are welcome, Dena! Kate is a local instructor in my area; I love her goofiness.

I am hoping to do Yoga for Surfers today since I didn't get to it yesterday.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-22, 03:52 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Day 15:
~20 minute Standing Yoga Flow (YT)

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-22, 05:57 PM  
Vantreesta

Anyone else doing the Getting Unstuck challenge on the Ten Percent app? Ironically today was about getting distracted and I found I could not focus during the meditation! Hmm...
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-22, 08:33 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I did do the practice from Yoga for Surfers yesterday (Vol 1, practice #3, post-surf).

Vannie, I downloaded Ten Percent app when it was free but wound up deleting it. It was one of the most memory-consuming apps I had, and I found that there wasn't a lot of free content, plus what there was was very repetitive of the Ten Percent books (which I love!).

But to respond to your issue, the way I teach meditation, I point out that it's not about staying focused/never getting distracted. It's about noticing when you are distracted. How teacher Sharon Salzberg explains it is that noticing is the "magic moment" - as soon as you notice that you are distracted, you give yourself the opportunity to do something different. So, if you have the thought "oh no, I've lost track of my breath and am thinking about dinner," instead of continuing to think about dinner, you can tell yourself "okay, now I'm going to come back to my breath." And as Salzberg says, we have to do that again and again! But that's totally normal. Hope this helps!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 01-05-22, 09:04 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

01/04/22 - Day 15. I got on the Kate Vantucci Yoga bandwagon and tried her Neck Release practice. She is fun. Interesting use of the yoga strap - and my neck and upper shoulders actually do feel better today.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-22, 09:07 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Pat, glad you found a Kate practice you liked too! She seems to always work some interesting variations of things in.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 01-05-22, 09:47 AM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I did do the practice from Yoga for Surfers yesterday (Vol 1, practice #3, post-surf).

Vannie, I downloaded Ten Percent app when it was free but wound up deleting it. It was one of the most memory-consuming apps I had, and I found that there wasn't a lot of free content, plus what there was was very repetitive of the Ten Percent books (which I love!).

But to respond to your issue, the way I teach meditation, I point out that it's not about staying focused/never getting distracted. It's about noticing when you are distracted. How teacher Sharon Salzberg explains it is that noticing is the "magic moment" - as soon as you notice that you are distracted, you give yourself the opportunity to do something different. So, if you have the thought "oh no, I've lost track of my breath and am thinking about dinner," instead of continuing to think about dinner, you can tell yourself "okay, now I'm going to come back to my breath." And as Salzberg says, we have to do that again and again! But that's totally normal. Hope this helps!
Beth, I didn't realize Ten Percent was such a memory-sucker. I have considered uninstalling it bc there's so little free stuff but couldn't decide. Maybe after this challenge I will. Calm is one I had uninstalled bc there's almost nothing free but I found I missed the daily mood check in so I reinstalled it.

Thanks for the tips on distractions. I remember Sharon and others saying that, I just thought it was funny that my focus was even worse than usual on the day they addressed it.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-22, 09:54 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I agree with you about Calm - I kept it, but there's not a lot there that's free (they have more free stuff on their YouTube channel). I like Insight Timer because it offers SO MUCH content, all free.

And yes, some days (most days, haha) my focus is all over the place too! I have to constantly remind myself that it doesn't mean I'm "bad" at meditation - if anything, it means I need to practice more so that I can grow stronger in that skill.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 01-05-22, 02:16 PM  
SpiritYogi

I tried a couple more of Kate Vantucci's practices today: Get It Done In 20 and Find Your Balance, followed by Eoin's BlissologyClear Intention meditation.

Kate is now a yoga teacher I follow (thanks, Beth ). Although the practices I've tried so far contain mostly basic poses and are easy (for me), I do advanced variations of the poses that match my level.
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote