Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-16-21, 08:39 PM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by desderata View Post
I agree about Cathe Live - the workouts repeat the same moves and the music is pretty bad. I understand about her recent eye issue, but I have been wanting her to add heavy weights classes for a couple of years now. I love PHA workouts and her DVD PHA workouts are great. Her Live PHA workouts go at a breakneck pace and are not as effective for muscle building/maintaining. I've given up on live.

On the other hand, I love Cathe On Demand and creating custom workouts that are exactly what I want. I use my own workouts about half the time I do Cathe.

I have been doing Chris Dorner's workouts almost exclusively for cardio. I love her cardio, her energy, her mostly good cuing, the variety. I tried two of her weights workouts but didn't click with them.
That's how I started to feel. I have some favorites Cathe Lives that I do and I'm always excited to see what Thursday's live workout is, then I"m disappointed. I understand copyright issues but how does CDorder do it? Do I love all of her music choices? No. BUT, I get variety. I agree with her energy and cuing. The dogs help too...LOL!
Old 11-16-21, 08:43 PM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Maybe with Cathe's eye issue, she has been told to lay off heavy weights. Don't know for sure, of course, just a guess.
That is true but the reason she gave for not finishing a heavy workout series she started when she was solo was that there were not enough heavy weights for the people in class to do heavy weights. She gave another reason as well, but I don't remember what it was (but she didn't say anything about not being cleared for heavy weights, at the time). I'm glad her new series will be weights! I cancel my subscription from time to time but I always come back.
Old 11-17-21, 02:38 AM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
I understand copyright issues but how does CDorder do it? Do I love all of her music choices? No. BUT, I get variety. I agree with her energy and cuing. The dogs help too...LOL!
Just butting into say, I don't know much about music and copyright but I think the rules may be different for people putting up free content on youtube (as long as they attribute where the music is from in the info section below the video) vs. people setting up and charging for streaming subscription services*, especially those like Cathe who eventually gave the option of downloading her live workouts.

But even prior to the downloading option, streaming services that charge works differently than free content on youtube (I think) when it comes to music rights. Now, maybe Cathe could put more effort into getting more varied or better music for her live workouts (I don't have a Cathe Live subscription so not sure how lackluster or repetitive the music choices are), but perhaps her choices truly are pretty limited if she wants to follow current copyright laws. Or maybe she'd rather not expend too much money on music for Cathe live workouts and save it for the music in her highly produced workouts.

*For example, IIRC there was one Tracy Anderson spin-off person who set up a paid streaming service and some VFers said the music was really good...well, that didn't last long and I think a lot of the content got pulled due to music rights. I think it was "Yin the Zone". See: http://www.videofitness.com/~vfwnk/f...d.php?t=206002

How I remember certain random pieces of VF history, I have no clue because normally my memory is like swiss cheese.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-21, 07:29 AM  
Elsie

I just loved the heavier lifting (plus more time between sets) Cathe had on LIVE during just-Cathe!! I, too, hope that she continues on when she can. On her forum, it was mentioned that she isn't doing those now due to it not being a good fit for a large class as gigi said above. So I replied that Cathe could do those classes perhaps with just 4-5 regulars who also enjoy lifting heavier. And as already mentioned, it may also have something to do with her recent medical/eye issue.
I do a lot of youTube workouts, however mostly ones with no music because I always find the music way too loud for me or this terrible autotune stuff with every singer trying to be Adele. I've given up on solid instructors due to this. I just play my own music.

I will say that although it is repetitive, I have a lot of fun with the music on the Cathe LIVES that are boxing.
Elsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-21, 06:36 PM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
Just butting into say, I don't know much about music and copyright but I think the rules may be different for people putting up free content on youtube (as long as they attribute where the music is from in the info section below the video) vs. people setting up and charging for streaming subscription services*, especially those like Cathe who eventually gave the option of downloading her live workouts.

But even prior to the downloading option, streaming services that charge works differently than free content on youtube (I think) when it comes to music rights. Now, maybe Cathe could put more effort into getting more varied or better music for her live workouts (I don't have a Cathe Live subscription so not sure how lackluster or repetitive the music choices are), but perhaps her choices truly are pretty limited if she wants to follow current copyright laws. Or maybe she'd rather not expend too much money on music for Cathe live workouts and save it for the music in her highly produced workouts.

*For example, IIRC there was one Tracy Anderson spin-off person who set up a paid streaming service and some VFers said the music was really good...well, that didn't last long and I think a lot of the content got pulled due to music rights. I think it was "Yin the Zone". See: http://www.videofitness.com/~vfwnk/f...d.php?t=206002

How I remember certain random pieces of VF history, I have no clue because normally my memory is like swiss cheese.
O.k. That does make sense. Cathe will always be my tried and true even as I discover other instructors that I enjoy.
Old 11-18-21, 06:38 PM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsie View Post
I just loved the heavier lifting (plus more time between sets) Cathe had on LIVE during just-Cathe!! I, too, hope that she continues on when she can. On her forum, it was mentioned that she isn't doing those now due to it not being a good fit for a large class as gigi said above. So I replied that Cathe could do those classes perhaps with just 4-5 regulars who also enjoy lifting heavier. And as already mentioned, it may also have something to do with her recent medical/eye issue.
I do a lot of youTube workouts, however mostly ones with no music because I always find the music way too loud for me or this terrible autotune stuff with every singer trying to be Adele. I've given up on solid instructors due to this. I just play my own music.

I will say that although it is repetitive, I have a lot of fun with the music on the Cathe LIVES that are boxing.
Me too regarding the heavier lifting when it was just Cathe. I agree with your suggestion about using 4 to 5 regulars to at least finish what she started. Though I was super excited to see her "live peeps" back, the live workouts for me, since then, haven't been my favorites.
Old 11-21-21, 07:53 PM  
ChelePA

I also use the peloton app and I love it! Such a variety of music!! You name it, they got it!
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-22, 02:14 PM  
Pascal

I agree that the music is not good, I wish it was better. I do like how she has Cardio Core Circuit workouts on LIVE that all feel very different than the Shock Cardio DVD, but I hear you on the repetition when it comes to cardio moves. I wonder if she does that so that the members can jump right in and there doesn't have to be a lot of breakdown or demonstration before diving right in. One of the things I like about live is the few rests and the jumping from one thing to the next, it definitely has improved my fitness level. I like new moves, too, just one caveat to having repetitiveness in cardio.

I, too, REALLY loved the heavier weights when Cathe was by herself. You can see it in her face during the Back At It Bootcamp how much it meant to her to have the gang back with her, so I credit her for sticking with leading the classes alone for as long as she did, with no one giving her energy or feedback, but some of my favorite workouts came during her solo time (Bootcamp: Heavy Weights, Cardio Boxing Bootcamp 1 and 2, just to name a few).

For me, having Live is a great way to get a Cathe fix between DVD releases as well as having extra heavy bag and indoor cycle workouts in my arsenal.
Old 02-23-23, 10:10 PM  
DHKWriter
VF Supporter

YouTubers can get better music because they pay for it. I've heard some say that all the ad money they make goes to pay for music, so you can tip them if you want. Maybe some of the bigger ones can afford to both buy music and pay themselves.

Because Cathe's workouts are downloadable, she probably would have to pay a lot for music and the cost benefit is probably not worth it.

DonnaH

P.S. Thanks for all the great streaming recs on this thread! And also where to find Cathe's heavy weight live workouts!
Old 02-25-23, 12:50 AM  
hypnomoon

I have found Cathe's music to be less than inspiring for over a decade now. I, too, have found many Youtube instructors that use music that I have heard of before aka radio music/new and old. Man, there was nothing like the Pina Colada song!!!!
hypnomoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, cathe live, music, workout music