Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-03-21, 11:04 AM  
rhbrand

I feel you all who are struggling.

I can't seem to get it together. I'm like "why bother" cause I try and nothing happens. So then I sit and gain more. All in my belly.
Bought new jeans in Oct and I can't wear them cause I've gained.

Anyone want to have a Perimenopause check in? Somewhere we can vent about how hard this crap is?
Old 04-03-21, 11:30 AM  
alisoncooks

I've been following this thread. I'm 40 and my cycles are still regular, but I've definitely seen the weight shift in recent years. I was always a pear with a slim midsection and small chest; now I'm definitely more top-heavy and apple-y. It's been so weird to see this new body -- it doesn't feel like me.

Right now I'm roughly 205, size 18/20. Five years ago, I was 160 (and that was my all-time high weight) and then DH was diagnosed with cancer -- I gained so much weight when he was sick. Lots of junk food. And then I tore my ACL and had surgery. Now, nothing seems to help get it off.

But!! Y'all!! Despite it all and despite the weight...we're still kicking butt and working out. We're lifting weights; we're yoga-ing or rehabbing injuries. But we're making the effort to age well. That's something.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-21, 12:34 PM  
Sophia

Quote:
Originally Posted by zraipel View Post
Lol, I wouldn't worry that it's necessarily perimenopause related! I find myself doing this a lot (I'm 41 now, but I've been this way for a long time ). I am very fickle, and once I decide I'm interested in something, it becomes all-consuming. And yes, I do the same thing with workout DVDs. I can go years without being interested in a particular instructor or workout genre, but then I suddenly decide I AM interested in them/it and I have to acquire everything available.

Just letting you know you are not alone!

ETA: But it may be a Gemini thing!! I am a Gemini as well
I've always been like that. Once I get interested in something, I have to have EVERYTHING! This was the case for decades. And for the record, I'm not a Gemini!
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-21, 01:05 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post

Anyone want to have a Perimenopause check in? Somewhere we can vent about how hard this crap is?
Yes, I'd be interested. I tried to start one back in December but not many replies so I just let it end. But I'd be there if anyone else is interested!

Erica H -- thank you, you summed it up perfectly. Not having any control over the weight gain and health issues and seeing the scale just go up and up and up and clothes not fitting anymore is so demoralizing. Having everything not work or even remotely help me has been so utterly depressing and that's not how I usually operate. Up until 3 years ago, things worked, I could control my emotions, I could work out every day and control my weight, I was in such great shape and health. I was really happy. And now it's all the opposite and I just can't wrap my mind around it. Nor accept it.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-21, 02:28 PM  
rhbrand

Well, I'd join. I didn't even know there was such a check in, but Dec was a hectic month and I basically didn't workout. Course I'm not really doing that still
Old 04-03-21, 03:22 PM  
MathTeacher

Thank you, Gemini, for starting this thread and to everyone who has posted on it. I feel a little less crazy and a lot less alone.
Old 04-03-21, 08:22 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post

I can't seem to get it together. I'm like "why bother" cause I try and nothing happens. So then I sit and gain more. All in my belly.
Bought new jeans in Oct and I can't wear them cause I've gained.

This is me. I often feel like what’s the point. Thankfully it does pass but still frustrating nonetheless.

I’d participate in a check in

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-21, 02:43 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I'll go ahead and start a check-in again. Hope to see you there!
Old 04-06-21, 10:53 AM  
Leonana

I didn't struggle much with perimenopause, but I think it might be because I was pregnant at age 40, and had my daughter at 41. I also breastfed her into the toddler years. I noticed after I had her that my periods were lighter and not as consistent. My cramps also stopped, which was nice.

I think I entered perimenopause around 42 or 43. As far as I could tell, I only had one symptom, dryness. I've tried everything other than estrogen cream, and nothing works. That really frustrated me, but fortunately there are ways around it. I went into menopause at age 50.

I never noticed the weight gain from perimenopause, because I had gained around 14 pounds from having my daughter, and went up two sizes. I'm 5'8" and big boned, and wore a 10 pre-dd, and I'm a 14 now. After menopause when I was 53, I went down one size to a 12 with exercise and recording my food intake on My Fitness Pal. I realized I was not going to get down to my pre-baby weight without starving myself. So, I'm happy with a 12.

I wasn't going to post, because I didn't feel I had anything constructive to offer, but then I realized that maybe I did. I did lose most of the weight three years after menopause. I'm 61, and I could still lose the weight. However, I'm back to a 14 and I'm lacking the motivation to restrict my eating. Life doesn't seem enjoyable with no sweets! So, perhaps weight loss will be easier after menopause. It was for me.
Old 04-06-21, 01:14 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I wasn't going to post, because I didn't feel I had anything constructive to offer, but then I realized that maybe I did. I did lose most of the weight three years after menopause. I'm 61, and I could still lose the weight. However, I'm back to a 14 and I'm lacking the motivation to restrict my eating. Life doesn't seem enjoyable with no sweets! So, perhaps weight loss will be easier after menopause. It was for me.
I'm glad you posted this, just hearing others people's successes with losing the weight helps. I just feel so hopeless after trying everything, but I'm still cycling regularly, and that could be a major component to it. My mom sailed through meno at 45 and barely knew it. Here I am at 47 feeling like my world is caving in each month and just skyrocketing in weight. No one else in my real life has anything to contribute except "Oh you're too young for any of that!".

I'm seeing an endocrinologist next week. I haven't seen anybody in nearly two years for more bloodwork due to covid. Two years ago everything was still off but considered to them to be "normal". I beg to differ...

Tags
body acceptance, body positivity, perimenopause