Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-12-19, 11:20 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I won't volunteer to be a moderator, because I know my severe limitations when it comes to interpersonal relationships, social skills and tactful replies...

Same. Another reason why it would be difficult for me to have any job other than Government
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-19, 11:25 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
It may sound silly to love a message board so much, but being a VF member really has changed my life for the better. There are so many yogis and workout instructors I wouldn't have known about. My check-ins have kept me accountable over the years and I've met some great people. The big thing is the motivation, and chatting with like-minded people. There are so many days I'm down in the dumps, worried, and would just put my workout by the wayside and continue being mopey. Then I remember my check-in peeps and a little voice says "get off your rump!"

Personally the stickies and old front page don't bother me - I don't even look at that. I just go to New Posts.

I hope Wendy visits and we get the moderator volunteers on board. Let's be kind to them!
Thanks Pat, I feel the same!
I hope Wendy visits soon, she may have lots going on right now that we don’t know about.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-19, 12:21 PM  
marki64

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Same. Another reason why it would be difficult for me to have any job other than Government
Bubbles, you are always diplomatic. You would make a great moderator, btw.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-19, 12:27 PM  
WWWendy
Community Manager

Hi everyone - life has been quite a challenge at the moment for multiple reasons I’d rather not go into online, but yes, I know there needs to be some changes. It is sometimes difficult to admit you need help. I am giving the new moderators thing a lot of thought and I especially need to figure out what to do about moderating new members, which is a task that is difficult to get others to help with - the biggest issue is the huge number of ‘bot registrations we get which overwhelm the “real” ones and that all need to be checked out. If anyone here has some expertise on the spambot front, please let me know.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
WWWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-19, 12:59 PM  
Floren

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWendy View Post
Hi everyone - life has been quite a challenge at the moment for multiple reasons I’d rather not go into online, but yes, I know there needs to be some changes. It is sometimes difficult to admit you need help. I am giving the new moderators thing a lot of thought and I especially need to figure out what to do about moderating new members, which is a task that is difficult to get others to help with - the biggest issue is the huge number of ‘bot registrations we get which overwhelm the “real” ones and that all need to be checked out. If anyone here has some expertise on the spambot front, please let me know.
Hi Wendy, just a quick note to say how much I appreciate you hosting the site, and Lisa for putting together the reviews section. You have provided a fitness home for so many of us for all these years. Hope life gets smoother for you soon!

(This is a great reminder that I need to renew my membership )
Floren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-19, 01:44 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

On the spambot front, I've mentioned this already, and I'm sure there must be an easier way, but what I do as a mod on another forum I'm on, is delete the obvious spammers first (you'll know them when you see the email address), then I plug the remaining IP addresses (copy and paste) into https://stopforumspam.com/search and https://www.iplocation.net/ (we delete all Russian and Ukraine IPs and some others and any known spammers listed on stopforumspam).

There's a tiny bit of judgement involved because every so often someone's IP address will have one or two entries in stopforumspam but they will be old and not the same username or email address they're using to register on our site, so I let them through.

It works for us but does require me (and other mods) to log in throughout the day to keep the new members waiting to be activated list from getting overwhelming. Maybe there's a faster, more automated way? Not sure but I would be happy to activate new members here if anyone trusted me since I'm on throughout the day and already do it for the other site I mod on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
+1. I *puffyheart* love VF. In fact, I'm approaching my 10 YEAR VF ANNIVERSARY!

And to be honest, every other forum I've been on that's been updated -- the changes haven't always been good (new layout harder on the eyes) or they require tons of work to fix new bugs and issues. My thoughts on VF, to quote Mark Darcy: "I like you very much. Just as you are."
I agree. Though I did rather like when we got the tagging feature on VF. That was a useful update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Personally the stickies and old front page don't bother me - I don't even look at that. I just go to New Posts.

I hope Wendy visits and we get the moderator volunteers on board. Let's be kind to them!
Agree also.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-19, 03:29 PM  
Negin

Wendy, thank you for all that you do. I hope and pray that life gets easier soon.
Old 09-12-19, 03:55 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Other than making sure new members get added, I’m fine with the site as is. I know there’s a huge outdated section(s), but the Forum is enough for me.

Many of us remember the absolute hell we used to go through with disagreements, criticisms, fake posters, know-it-alls, etc., and it was sometimes extremely difficult to moderate all that. We moderators had a separate forum to discuss and create an action plan to deal with all that. I haven't seen anything on that level here in years - thankfully. It might not have lots of bells and whistles, but it’s civil and fun to visit VF again.

I know there are fees just to keep VF up and running on the server and I’m glad it’s still here. Many of the old gang are gone, but I still love VF!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-19, 03:57 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Other than making sure new members get added, I’m fine with the site as is. I know there’s a huge outdated section(s), but the Forum is enough for me.

Many of us remember the absolute hell we used to go through with disagreements, criticisms, fake posters, know-it-alls, etc., and it was sometimes extremely difficult to moderate all that. We moderators had a separate forum to discuss and create an action plan to deal with all that. I haven't seen anything on that level here in years - thankfully. It might not have lots of bells and whistles, but it’s civil and fun to visit VF again.

I know there are fees just to keep VF up and running on the server and I’m glad it’s still here. Many of the old gang are gone, but I still love VF!
Totally agree.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-19, 04:16 PM  
deineira

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWendy View Post
Hi Wendy,
Sorry to hear about your personal challenges. I am sure we can all relate. I hope things settle down for you soon.

I work at an internet security company and have some of the foremost spam experts and tools at my disposal, so I would be happy to step up and help moderate, particularly if screening spammers is one of the biggest challenges. I come to VF several times a day to see what's shaking here, so I have the time.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abandonware, moderators, mods, vf future, wendy