Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-15-18, 02:49 PM  
tiletha444

I do a lot of what is already been mentioned. I'm a 4:30 a.m. person. I don't necessarily like it, but the pros definitely outweigh the con(s). I've come to accept that morning is the best time for me.

I have fallen off at times but I always get back on. I usually stick with a goal of 4x per week. If I do more, that's great!

I also do a lot of lunch and dinner meal preps on the weekends. It helps tremendously!

As others have said - start small and build. 10-15 minute workouts @ 2-3 times per week.

Good luck!
tiletha444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-18, 03:35 PM  
Sophia

I also workout first thing after getting home from work around 6:00. I tried working out in the morning once and tripped over my step. Nope. Not gonna happen. I've been working out in the evenings since I began to work out over 10 years ago now.
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-18, 04:16 PM  
marki64

I find my workouts are more productive in the evening. I also workout right away when I get home from work. I have more energy and it gets rid of stress. I am a morning person, but just not 100% for working out. However, if all you have is the morning and that works for you, I also agree with starting out with short workouts for awhile.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-18, 04:34 PM  
cindyw75

I actually have energy in the morning. However, I usually get up at 5, not 4. I might start moving it back a bit at a time to see how I do.
cindyw75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-18, 06:32 PM  
donnamp

Before this year, I would get up at 4:30, have my coffee and book time and start exercising around 5:30 and that was fine, then, this year, I had to start getting up at 4:00 and start before 5:00 if possible and it was tough. I made it through the fall with that schedule, but once winter came I just couldn't bear it. So I experimented with splitting my workouts - I'm still getting up early, but I'm having coffee and book time, then I do a gentle workout - Yoga or Pilates. So, I'm still doing something in the morning, so the 'habit' is still there (I also do my full workouts in the mornings or on days off b/c I can start later) Then, after I get home from work I do a "traditional" workout - cardio or strength- it is under an hour, usually closer to 30 minutes.

Oh, I also try to walk at work - that is something you can do, too. Take a walk on your lunch hour or on breaks to up your activity level during the day.

In the summer, I may able to get all of my workouts done in the morning - depending on my DD's schedule.

Good luck! If there is a will, there is a way!!!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-18, 06:48 PM  
Sharaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyw75 View Post
I've been working from home for 20 years, so getting my workouts in has been easy for me. I wake up at 5, have some coffee, and then I workout at 6:30 or so. However, my work situation might be changing soon, and I might have to commute. I'll probably only have 30 minutes in the morning. And I'll have to do make up and hair...

I'm looking at possibly getting up at 4-4:30, and working out from 5-5:30. For those of you who work long hours and/or commute, how do you do make it work for you? How many days a week do you work out?
1 1/2 hour between waking up and starting your workout?

If so, that’s too much if you are looking to save time. You can have more time to workout if you reduced it to 1/2 hour. Wake up, coffee set up dvd and equipment Boom! The challenge is getting use to start the workout when you are half sleep I got use to it, after few mins I’m IN in the zone.

I’m not a morning person AT ALL, but morning works for me better due to my commute and work responsibilities. Nowadays, I prefer my mind totally clear before a workout. I’m focus and performs better.
Old 03-15-18, 07:09 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I use the weekends for two longer workouts (like an hour +), and then try for two or three mornings of about 45 mins max (mostly 30 mins). I also try to put my weight workouts during the week so I don't get too sweaty in case I don't have time to shower (love dry shampoo and cleaning wipes!). So if I get good long challenging workouts in on the weekends, then Mon and Tues are my rest days, which makes the rest of the week not too horrible in getting up before everyone else. I generally have coffee and an energy bar, respond to emails, read the paper, etc. and then workout.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-18, 07:13 PM  
DCW

My goal is a minimum of Ninety minutes.

I get in 30 in the morning with Classical Stretch and some sit ups and pushups.

I walk at lunch for about 45 minutes. Twice a week I take a exercise class at night. On the nights I don't have class I do another Classical Stretch/Essentrics dvd.

I schedule a lot of opportunities to exercise so that if I miss one I have a backup plan.

Most days it works.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-18, 08:08 AM  
boakley
VF Supporter

I'm enjoying this thread. I get up at 5:20 to get ready for work - my hours are 7-3 M-F, with a 30-40 minute commute each way. I go through stages, where working out after work comes easy, but when I started running a few years ago, I found myself wanting to run in the morning. I can't get up any earlier than I do now without interfering with evening activities like our son's basketball games, which often keep us out through the winter until my bedtime or later. So I make adjustments. I tend to run more in the spring, summer and fall and try to telecommute once a week. On those days, I run in the morning. I save longer runs for weekends and again run in the morning. Strength training after work and before dinner works for me as it always makes me hungry. Yoga in the evenings is nice.

I guess this is my long and rambling way to say you have to be flexible and as life changes make adjustments. It can be done, and as someone up thread said, when there's a will, there's a way. Forget perfection and experiment - you will find something that works

Beth

Tom Petty
boakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-18, 08:54 AM  
Exercise Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
I also workout first thing after getting home from work around 6:00. I tried working out in the morning once and tripped over my step. Nope. Not gonna happen. I've been working out in the evenings since I began to work out over 10 years ago now.
This is me too. My workout time is 6-7 in the evenings, with the drawback to that being that we eat dinner later than we probably should. I feel as though my energy and strength are at their peak later in the day though I have thought about doing my cardio/rebounding in the early am and strength work at night so that I can move our eating time up a bit.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scheduling workouts