Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-04-15, 09:14 PM  
calendria

quads and glutes!

I am recovering from 2 knee surgeries that i had in 3 months. The last one being in january. I have weak glutes and quads. My physical therapist I need to increase the functional strength of both to keep my knees safe and stronger.

Does anyone have any idea the best way to increase the functional strength and mass for my quads and glutes?

Does anyone know of any exercise machine (like bike or elliptical) that works the quads and glutes? I know I seem a bit obsessed, but I don't like this musclular imbalance.

thanx.
calendria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 09:38 PM  
Kitten

Walking? My 18-year old son seemed surprised at how strong my legs are just today. I walk 2 miles every day. Hubby also mentioned my leg strength in regards to all the uphill/up stairs walking we did tobogganing.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 10:03 PM  
calendria

the only walking I'm able to do right now is walking aerobics, like Leslie Sansone and Jessica Smith
Old 03-04-15, 10:08 PM  
Kitten

Leslie is who I walk with every day .
She gets the credit for me legs.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-15, 08:42 AM  
Carb8985

Barre workouts really target the quads (plies) and glutes (foldover/pretzel) and move at a slow enough pace that I think they'd be therapeutic for the knees. My favorite barre is Ballet Body by Leah Sarago. She has lots of downloads that you could buy that target the glutes (Pretzel 1 and 2, Diagonal Foldover, Variations in Foldover, Bridge at the Wall, Ballet Body Step) and quads (any of her plie segments).
Carb8985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-15, 01:32 PM  
calendria

thanx. I'll look up Leah asap. and I'll look into plies and pretzels. thanx so much.
Old 03-05-15, 04:12 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

How about the Strong Stride dvds by Lisa Watson? I can't believe no one has chimed in here with those. Also, there is a Strong Knees by Gaiam that might help? And maybe Michelle Olson's Perfect Legs? Those are my initial ideas. Good luck!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-15, 08:03 PM  
bfit

Can you ride an exercise bike? I know that's good for the quads. I'm not so sure about the glutes. Also, can you do any deep water walking or running? It mimics walking and running without the impact on the knees.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-15, 08:34 PM  
Tugger31

I had knee issues many years ago and wanted to comment about imbalances.

Many people work on muscular strength imbalances, but don't underestimate the importance of flexibility imbalances. It wasn't until I started adding yoga which helped with isometric quad strength and also hamstring and hip flexibility did I start seeing much more significant improvement in my knees.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-15, 09:26 PM  
calendria

@Tugger31 - I do have super tight hamstrings. I'm doing a 14 minute stretch routine (yoga) from youtube for my hips and hams. but it takes time. So yes, those are my imbalances and I have to work on them if I want to have strong knees AFTER surgery.

the gaiam "strong knees" dvd - it has some quad exercises that I do almost every day. So its all in my program. I have several rehab/quad exercises that I'm doing daily.

and I'll look up strong stride, thank you.

Tags
strong stride