Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-06-23, 08:24 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixoo View Post
Beth - I definitely prefer romances with older characters or at least characters that act like adults. Too many times authors have their characters act in immature ways to move the plot along (boring). LB Dunbar has some romances that feature 40 and 50 year olds in one of her series, I think Silver is in every title, and I found them on Hoopla. She has a similar series that I didn’t care for, though.

What romance authors do you prefer?
I'm a pretty eclectic reader! I don't really read a lot of traditional romance, although I used to read a lot of my mom's trashy romances when I was a teen (think Lace).

Now I tend to read thrillers, mysteries, or quirky stories. One of my favorite authors is Stephen King and I enjoy others similar such as Dean Koontz and Peter Straub. I've read almost all of Jonathan Kellerman's Dr. Delaware series and several other series including Joanne Fluke's Hannah Swenson (I think I'm giving up on that one!) and the Booktown cozy mystery series (Lorna Bartlett). I love both Maeve Binchy and and Rosamunde Pilcher. I've read a good amount of David Baldacci, John Grisham (older stuff), Elizabeth Berg, Jane Green, Tami Hoag, Lisa Scottoline, Nick Hornby, Anne Tyler...okay that should give you some idea!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-23, 10:37 AM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post

Now I tend to read thrillers, mysteries, or quirky stories. One of my favorite authors is Stephen King and I enjoy others similar such as Dean Koontz and Peter Straub. I've read almost all of Jonathan Kellerman's Dr. Delaware series and several other series including Joanne Fluke's Hannah Swenson (I think I'm giving up on that one!) and the Booktown cozy mystery series (Lorna Bartlett). I love both Maeve Binchy and and Rosamunde Pilcher. I've read a good amount of David Baldacci, John Grisham (older stuff), Elizabeth Berg, Jane Green, Tami Hoag, Lisa Scottoline, Nick Hornby, Anne Tyler...okay that should give you some idea!
Thanks for all of the author recs! I’m always on the lookout for something new to try.
Trixoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-23, 07:31 PM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Need my Arrow

I just finished Home Sweet Home by April Smith
(Borrowed from the library).

It was pretty good. The description on Amazon (am I allowed to do that? I can't sum it up as easily in my own words and often fear giving something away):

epic drama follows the Kusek family from New York City to America's heartland, where they are caught up in the panic of McCarthyism, a smear campaign, a sensational trial, and, ultimately, murder.

I tried to check into the software that my library uses for the kindle books (it is not the one mentioned here - it is Cloud Library). I can get it on my kindle, but I have to send it to a different program, convert it to a .pdf and send it to kindle. If anyone knows me? Knows --- I'll read the library books on the Ipad!

Not sure what's next. But I'm on to my next book.
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-23, 11:40 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

A Visit to the Library

I'm still new to all this (and determined to meet my goal of reading this year!) I had "The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes" in the audio format, but I couldn't do it (I mentioned this before). Cuz I always fell asleep and it was on my ipad and not my phone/ipod, etc. But I digress. . .

So I ordered the papercopy to be brought into my library from one of my branches. Along with it, I ordered "The Maid's Diary" as I saw it mentioned here? or it was a recommendation on Amazon of what I might like. They came in (pretty quickly) so I took the opportunity to go over and chat with the library people.

Turns out that the software they use CANNOT be used on Kindles (or Kindle whites, etc.) The only kind of e-readers they can be used on is Kindle Fire or an Ipad (or similar tablet). Bummer. But at least now I know (Can't read on my ipad too well out in the sun). I discovered that e-books have a 2 week lending time and physical books have a 3 week lending time.

That's my story. I have begun The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes and am about 150 pages into it. I wanted to read it before the movie comes out. So far? So good. (Prequel to the Hunger Games - which I enjoyed).

Will check in when I complete it!
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-23, 08:19 PM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

Beth and Schnauzeritis -

I remembered another book: The Lost Ticket by Freya Sampson. This is the book I was originally trying to remember. :-)

Okay, I’ll stop now.
Old 06-09-23, 08:32 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Beth and Schnauzeritis -

I remembered another book: The Lost Ticket by Freya Sampson. This is the book I was originally trying to remember. :-)

Okay, I’ll stop now.
I don't mind more recs! I just looked at the description of this and it sounds sweet.

Just finished (well, via skimming) a book I would NOT recommend, All is Fair in Love and Cupcakes. It's basically a light romcom, but even Hallmark can do a better job than this.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-23, 08:47 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Beth and Schnauzeritis -

Okay, I’ll stop now.
I bought it but I have not read it yet. I liked the first book of hers I read. I need to look up the title.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-23, 09:08 PM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I bought it but I have not read it yet. I liked the first book of hers I read. I need to look up the title.
It’s the Last Chance Library, which I also enjoyed. If you liked that one, I think you’ll enjoy this one, too. :-)
Old 06-10-23, 03:57 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
It’s the Last Chance Library, which I also enjoyed. If you liked that one, I think you’ll enjoy this one, too. :-)
That was it!.thank you 😁

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-23, 08:26 AM  
Gams

Can anyone recommend a good book or two that may have reminded you of Sue Grafton? I love her alphabet books so much and it makes me sad that there will be no more books by her. I’d like to find another author I like as much.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, off topic, off-topic, reading, summer reading