Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-15, 07:08 PM  
Chomper

Water Rowers?

I'd love a Concept 2, which I've heard is the best rower hands down. But the storage problem is one I can't solve right now.

Was just noticing Keli Roberts trains group fitness instructors on water rower classes called Indo-Row. That led me to look up water rowers and two things appeal to me. 1. The slosh of water might be awesome making me feel like I'm really rowing on a river. 2. You can store it upright in a corner when not using it (although it's heavy, so that might still be annoying)

Does anybody have any experience with one of these?
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 09:03 AM  
EnglishRose

Water Rower

Hello Chomper
Yes, I've just bought one. It's still quite big, and heavy, but I push it into the corner of the room. It's very attractive so doesn't to my mind look like a piece of fitness equipment that stands out a mile. I also went for the blue dye you can put in the water!
You've obviously had previous experience with rowing. I hadn't so unfortunately I can't compare but I do know its tough exercise, which surprised me a lot. I love that its whole body exercise too.
EnglishRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 09:07 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I don't know anout the Indo-Row, but the Water Rower seems to have a lot of excellent reviews. It sounds like it is a better machine in some ways, than the Concept 2. I have a rowing machine, but it is not a fancy one, and even on the lowest setting, it is really hard to pull. So, I don't use it much. I have liked the Concept 2 when I have used it, but never bought one because of the high price and size.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 11:19 AM  
dnna

My son has had a water rower for about 15 years. We had a carpenter friend totally redo it a couple of years ago, you can order a new belt, he replaced all the hardware, tightened it up, new varnish, the works. a total face lift. It looks like a factory showroom model.
My son loves it. I get on it once in a while. I do have an in law apartment for my son so take that into consideration. I am going to move to an apartment/condo so if he does take it, we will have to donate it. he is not living here now, he is in an apartment and it is a huge beast.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 11:41 AM  
Chomper

They are much more attractive than the average piece of workout equipment.
Apparently, they are about 67 lbs without water, and 104 lbs when water is added. I do lift heavy, so I think I could probably stand it back up and put it out of the way in a corner, but I'd love to verify that before I purchase. They are expensive, so I will need to think about it some more.
http://www.waterrower.com/wrclassic.php

EnglishRose, I actually only have a tiny bit of experience with rowing. My parents used to have a run of the mill rowing machine when I was a pre teen and I used it occasionally. I understand now, after the fact, that proper form is critical. One of my aunts used to row all the time and actually ruined her knees from it.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 01:02 PM  
cfwb

I should mention this to my boss. She rows on our river spring through fall (and competes in some rowing events regionally), but I know she misses it in the winter.
cfwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 01:50 PM  
EnglishRose

Hi Chomper
I lift it with no problems and I'm not particularly strong. It has wheels on the bottom so you can manoeuvre it around before lifting it all the way up. If you're rowing where you store it and just lower it to the floor, its dead easy, its because I pull it out to watch the television that I have to shunt it around a bit. It looks very, very good and as dnna says, it stands the test of time and I'm lead to believe it also keeps its value well.
Mine came in two big boxes and a friend helped me put it together. Because of its quality and the weight of individual pieces, I had a friend help me put it together. It's easy but awkward on your own.
Moira
EnglishRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 04:28 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
I'd love a Concept 2, which I've heard is the best rower hands down. But the storage problem is one I can't solve right now.

Was just noticing Keli Roberts trains group fitness instructors on water rower classes called Indo-Row. That led me to look up water rowers and two things appeal to me. 1. The slosh of water might be awesome making me feel like I'm really rowing on a river. 2. You can store it upright in a corner when not using it (although it's heavy, so that might still be annoying)

Does anybody have any experience with one of these?
When I was doing crossfit they had a bunch of Concept 2 rowers and when not in use they were always stored upright. So the storage issue shouldn't be a factor.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 10:22 PM  
vplan

I got one from Costco few years ago and absolutely love it:

http://www.costco.com/First-Degree-F...100240368.html

It takes no space at all when standing up in the corner. It is not heavy at all. I would like a little higher resistance, but it is OK when I am to lazy to exercise or just want to watch a video or listen to a book. I love the sound of the water.
Old 12-17-15, 10:35 AM  
mspina

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
When I was doing crossfit they had a bunch of Concept 2 rowers and when not in use they were always stored upright. So the storage issue shouldn't be a factor.
While the water rower thing looks BEAUTIFUL, I don't know that it's much smaller than a Concept2 - as mentioned, you can tip these upright and store them easily in a corner, and when like that, it doesn't take up much room at all. They are also TRIVIAL to break down into 2 pieces, making it even smaller if necessary.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water rower