Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-20-22, 05:48 AM  
Tugger31

Question Book Help!

I need a novel to buy for a co-worker. She does not like gore/profanity/violence. She's fairly well read and has read alot of Christian based books. I would think she would like historical fiction or something prolific yet not sad. She is a former professor. She likely has read most of the classics such as Robinson Crusoe etc. I think she would like a good mystery as long as it meets the no gore/sex/profanity aspect and nothing with any political undertones. Our work Xmas party is in 2 weeks!

Would love some suggestions!! Thanks!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-22, 07:59 AM  
Demeris

If she's a Protestant, I would recommend something from Mel Starr's series. His sleuth is Hugh de Singleton.

If she's Catholic or Episcopalian or from any of the Orthodox churches, I would recommend something from Margaret Frazer's Dame Frevisse series.

With any Christian religion, you can't go wrong with something from the Desert Fathers. They aren't fiction, of course, but they are wonderful resources for any Christian.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-22, 09:50 AM  
alisoncooks

The problem with well-read is that they’re….well-read. Many popular suggestions might’ve already been read. I’d do a gift card to a bookstore instead, and a nice bookmark or something.

If you want a book suggestion: I really enjoyed the Father Tim/Mitford series (Jan Karon). They’re older and quite popular still, but they were new to me last year. They’re about an Anglican minister but there’s nothing doctrinal in them, just generic Christian themes.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-22, 05:16 PM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
The problem with well-read is that they’re….well-read. Many popular suggestions might’ve already been read. I’d do a gift card to a bookstore instead, and a nice bookmark or something.
I second this suggestion.
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-22, 06:02 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I recently finished two books that might fit.

Matchmaking for Beginners by Maddie Dawson was an enjoyable love story with a twist - it involved witches in Brooklyn, NY, and the quirky tenants in a quirky brownstone apartment building, and two people rebuilding their lives. There was no sex that I recall and the "witchcraft" wasn't heavy or presented as a faith.

Then there was Brooklyn by Toibin Colm, an Irish author. It's a short read about an Irish young woman who emigrates to Brooklyn and falls in love with an Italian young man. There's romantic energy but no sex and I loved reading about that time and place. It seemed to be early 1900s.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-22, 06:07 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Look into books by Ellis Peters. They are mysteries and the main character is a monk. Nothing profane or offensive and IMHO some quality stories.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
off topic, off-topic