Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-22, 08:45 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Barefoot and on the Mat - Celebrating November

“In November, the trees are standing all sticks and bones. Without their leaves, how lovely they are, spreading their arms like dancers. They know it is time to be still.”
— Cynthia Rylant, In November

Welcome to the monthly Barefoot & On the Mat (aka Mat Mavens) check-in for September 2022!

We are a small, cozy, and welcoming group who perform a wide variety of workouts, but we have a special love for those that are performed barefoot. If you are a fan of such workouts (Barre, Pilates, Yoga, Fusion, Classical Stretch/Essentrics, Ellen Barret, Kettlebells, etc.), or even traditional workouts performed barefoot, you are welcome. And even if you wear shoes for workouts, come on in -- we won't tell!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-22, 08:49 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning! My leg is still taking it's time. On my lunch break I had to run an errand and took the opportunity to divert to a nearby open air tourist trap mall with a little duck pond. I slowly walked around just for some fresh air and getting the blood moving, and had a few mental health moments watching the ducks.

I really like November. I'm all about dreary weather, but it's not as dark as December yet. The holiday madness doesn't start until the end of the month. In fact the only bad thing about November is DST, grrrr.

I have some goals for this month, which include being more mindful of my nutrition. My diet has been very unbalanced. I developed an aversion to animal protein and am relying way too much on nuts and nut butters, and eating too much fruit and not enough veggies. I want to get back in the habit of a quick morning yoga or Pilates, too.

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 11-01-22, 09:44 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I know that I say this every month, but WOW, November already!

Pat, sorry you are struggling with your leg. I am not a fan of DST either!

cyana, good luck navigating Medicare; you and Pat have certainly made me wary. Were you able to get off work early yesterday?

Sandra, the Hydromassage sounds like a nice benefit!

Paine, aww, your grandsons sound very cute! Hope they enjoyed the holiday.

Yesterday I did a short cardio workout, the 7 Minutes of Magic evening practice (hadn't done this one in a LONG time), and then just spent awhile in Legs-Up-the-Wall (technically listening to a meditation at the same time, but more dozing).

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-22, 10:11 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Margaret's Muscle & Grace: Upper Body workout plus calves

Pat, thank you for starting our November month! I like that quote.
I hope your leg pain resolves soon.

Sandra, Cyana and Beth, our grandsons were excited about trick-or-treating. They were cute in their costumes. This was the first time our 3 year old grandson ever went trick-or-treating. The last time our 7 year old grandson went trick-or-treating was when we lived in Alaska.

Beth, you reminded me that I need to pull out my 7 Minutes of Magic DVD.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-22, 10:25 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Paine, I'm going to try to do the Health practice from that DVD in a few minutes.

I wanted to let everyone know that I sent Linda my Halloween Sleep Story (below; not sure if I linked to it before) and just heard back from her. She said she hasn't been doing anything other than Cubii - she is having wrist pain, and she is having surgery later this week to remove 3 bones in her wrist. Other than that she sounds okay - she just had her 3 year anniversary of when she met her "man"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD4eIQA2C_w&t=89s

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 11-01-22, 08:18 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Hello Mat Mavens!

Thanks for starting us off with a fitting quote Pat & I hope your leg feels better soon!

We had a lovely weekend & got home last night. No formal workouts, just some short walks, stretching, & exercises DS gave me for my foot. It’s very sore, a little PF & a lot of Achilles tendinitis & enthesitis (inflammation at the insertion site). So I have cut back on walking and am focusing on some gentle movement with Essentrics & finding weighted strength workouts I can do on the floor. There’s always something….the wack-a-mole game continues!

Todays workouts:
~My friend’s Essentrics class
~SeniorShape Fitness: Upper Body Dumbbell workout on the floor - This was very good! Here’s a link: https://youtu.be/47ExgzO7FlU
~Yin yoga class by the fire

I am way behind again, so hope all is well with everyone.
Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-22, 08:49 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Ouch, still have DOMS in hamstrings and glutes today from doing KCM's Split Sessions on Sunday - I think it's her one leg press move that always gets me!

Today I did both the AM and the Health practices from 7 Minutes of Magic, a 10-min Pilates with Jessica Valant, and a Yogea yoga for hormonal balance practice.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 11-02-22, 07:11 AM  
cyana

Dingleberry here posted on the October thread bright and early yesterday morning. I copied my shout-outs over since I didn't know if everybody checks for errant posts :

Paine - I loved the trash man costume!!! I hope your grandson will put that on one day when the trash men are in the neighborhood so they can see what a fan he is. I bet they'd get a huge kick out of that.

Sandra - Is the Hydromassage heated or cooled? Either way, it sounds like a wonderful post-workout treat. I'm having some problems with Computer Neck this week and had to work extra hard to keep my head back yesterday and did some stretches at my desk.

Pat - I hope your leg is better today. DH called Clark Howard's Consumer Center yesterday to see if they had any specific recommendation on entities to help navigate the initial Medicare election. They indicated you should work with an independent agent/entity who isn't beholden to one company or type of plan. I'd be much happier if I could get a referral to someone that has a solid reputation and a recommendation from someone I know, versus calling some unknown stranger and having to trust them to get it right. Unfortunately for me, there is a work "thing" that is throwing a new complication into the equation, so I'd love to be able to stick my head in the sand. Alas, that won't solve anything.

Beth
- I'm glad you checked in with Linda. I'd been wondering how she was doing and knew her wrists/hands were causing a lot of pain. Wow, hard to believe she and "The Man" have been together for 3 years! Hopefully Diana will pop in and let us know how the surgery goes.

Pam
- Welcome back. I'm glad to hear you had a nice week-end, but bummer on the increased foot pain. At least you had your own personal physician available for a consult and exam. I like doing upper body weight work on the floor, as it helps me zone in to what I'm doing. I'll have to bookmark that work-out - thanks for mentioning it.

Fortunately I slept better last night. I woke up at 2:11 AM yesterday morning, so it was a struggle to stay awake until a decent hour last night. I didn't realize how much I missed my morning stretch yesterday (DH was still in the bed asleep and I didn't want to wake him since I got up so early), so I treated myself to a longer than usual stretch session this AM. I'm hoping to take a mid-day work break and hopefully get in a work out then. Fingers crossed!

Time to get back to work and enjoy my coffee before it gets cold. Waves to ALL.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-22, 08:42 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Happy Wednesday! Nothing formal again, but I was able to shuffle around catching up on some laundry and tidying up the house. I watched some YouTube offerings on groin injuries and was surprised how many PTs incorporate stretching the area. That's a Bozo No No! We should never stretch an acute groin strain. I listened to the advice of the non-stretch advocates and have a little plan for home PT. What did we do before YouTube?

Cyana, thanks for the additional info. I think we will be hard pressed to find an independent agent. Even the senior center guy told us right up front he is commissioned by a specific United Healthcare plan. I heard a quick financial blurb on the radio this morning stating insurance companies have record profits. Gee who woulda guessed. Ugh, I won't get started in this forum.

Pam, your visit sounds so nice. Good luck with your foot, sorry to hear it's acting up.

Paine, that costume is adorable!!!! Sanitation men make a very good salary and municipal benefits, your grandson may be onto something.

Sandra, you have hydro massage at the gym? Do you have the cushioned beds with heat? We have those and the red light machine at Planet Fitness. The hydro bed is a lifesaver.

Waves to all! Have a wonderful day!
Old 11-02-22, 09:19 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Ellen Barrett Peace, Love & Cardio workout

Pam, I hope your foot pain resolves soon.

Beth, I remember KCM's Split Sessions giving me lower body DOMS too.
Thanks for your sleep story--that was creepy!
I hope Linda's wrist surgery is successful.

Cyana, if you have the Yoga in the Garden of Serenity DVD, there is a Neck & Shoulders practice that feels good and is helpful when I have neck problems.

Pat, our DS2 wanted to be a trash man when he was a little boy. I told him it was fine if he became a trash man when he grew up but he was going to go to college first and he made that agreement with me.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote