Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-22, 09:29 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I'm finishing up a very interesting little novel, The Ardent Swarm by Yamen Manai. It is set in Tunisian village and involves a beekeeper and his quest to save his "girls" from pest insects unwittingly transported in cargo from China. Threads of science, nature, and politico-social changes in Northern Africa weave through the fabric of everyday life in the village. Only 174 pages and easy going read.
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-22, 09:45 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I'm going to start reading Very Valentine next; also plan to read something by Peter Straub since he recently died.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-22, 10:45 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
I've been on Lisa Jewell streak. This week I've read:

The Girls In The Garden
Watching You
Invisible Girl

and just started The Night She Disappeared.
I liked Watching You a lot and Invisible Girl was good too. The Night She Disappeared is in my TBR pile here. She also has The Family Remains which just came out, a sequel to The Family Upstairs. I like her books a lot. I have since moved more to crime/detective novels from her more psychological suspense type of books. But I still enjoy hers on occasion.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-22, 04:39 PM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
I liked Watching You a lot and Invisible Girl was good too. The Night She Disappeared is in my TBR pile here. She also has The Family Remains which just came out, a sequel to The Family Upstairs. I like her books a lot. I have since moved more to crime/detective novels from her more psychological suspense type of books. But I still enjoy hers on occasion.
I read The Family Upstairs and have The Family Remains on reserve at the library. Most of her books have endings you don't expect, which I enjoy.
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-22, 08:34 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
I read The Family Upstairs and have The Family Remains on reserve at the library. Most of her books have endings you don't expect, which I enjoy.
I agree. I need to read a summary of The Family Upstairs before I attempt The Family Remains. Just a refresher even though I remember the gist of it. It's been awhile but I remember liking it quite a bit.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-22, 11:38 AM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
I agree. I need to read a summary of The Family Upstairs before I attempt The Family Remains. Just a refresher even though I remember the gist of it. It's been awhile but I remember liking it quite a bit.
You know, that's not a bad idea. I've read so many books since The Family Upstairs. I should borrow it as well and do a quick perusal to refresh my memory.
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-22, 01:42 PM  
Carol K

I finished Joan, which I really enjoyed. I knew very little about Joan of Arc. Now I have Babysitter by Joyce Carol Oates and The House of Fortune (sequel to The Miniaturist) to start and a lot of people are waiting on both of them.
Old 09-11-22, 05:06 PM  
BunnyHop

I finished Sarah Addison Allen's Other Birds last night. It was a good story, but honestly, I think I've lost the knack of reading novels. I used to have no trouble, but these days I get restless and wander away or am tempted to snack.

One thing I've figured out is that if I get my foot propping cushion out and settle myself very cozily, I have less trouble. Maybe I just need a good recliner??
Old 09-12-22, 05:54 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I just finished three audible books recently:

Wrong Place Wrong Time by Gillian McAllister - It’s a different take on time travel. She’s solving a mystery by incrementally going back in time. It was like an onion, each layer had a clue. I really liked it, great narrator with a nice accent that fit the English setting.

The Maid by Nita Prose - I really enjoyed this one too. The main character was very engaging and it was interesting to get different points of view.

The Midnight Library by Matt Haig - Another version of time travel but with life choices. Really a good book that makes you think of every turn you could have taken. I enjoyed the narration by Carey Mulligan.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-22, 07:08 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post

The Midnight Library by Matt Haig - Another version of time travel but with life choices. Really a good book that makes you think of every turn you could have taken. I enjoyed the narration by Carey Mulligan.
I didn't like this one even though it got fantastic reviews and I think everyone I know who read it liked it.

I just finished Running in Silence: My Drive for Perfection and the Eating Disorder That Fed It (excellent) and am starting This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger.
Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, kindle, off topic, off-topic, reading