Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-22, 10:19 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
I wouldn't necessarily categorize yoga as just holding poses. Vinyasa is a pretty dynamic flow, imo. But I would agree that yoga and CS/Essentrics are very different from each other.

True, there can be a flow element with Vinyasa. The trademark sequences in Essentrics are rooted in Tai Chi and very flowy, and the theory is rebalancing by working all the muscles.

Lots to like about both Essentrics and yoga. It comes down to preferences.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-22, 10:20 AM  
TinaT

Jackie ~ Thank you and yes, choosing something I will do.

Can I just say, starting over sucks. Be patient and kind with myself isn't easy. I'm starting over with PowerFit every other day. Walking around my neighborhood on opposite days for 30 mins. Rebounding is not an options right now, but hopefully I'll be adding it back in soon.

Maybe if I only use the episodes from CS that are more stress and flexibility focused for now. I believe most medical professionals don't know about CS and that's why yoga was suggested.

I expressed I'm not moving enough and the doctor is concerned I'm not building up to it at a slow enough pace, and asked to do something less cardiio focused, like yoga. (not that yoga doesn't burn calories, just not like walking, etc). So adding this to my already set routine is where it came up.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-22, 10:26 AM  
TinaT

Vantreesta ~Thank you for weighing in. I think I might have that exact KV workout. I'm embarrassed to say, I've never tried it. Received it in a big trade I made years ago for KV and have never pulled it off the shelf. Maybe I'll give it a try just to see what Yoga is all about.

I guess if I'm not movitated by the method, I've waisted no money and it can go back to shelf. LOL
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-22, 10:40 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I completely understand finding/knowing an instructor who motivates you, also! That's so important to your fitness journey.

And, how many of us buy a workout (on someone else's recommendation) that we just don't gel with. It's happened to us all, especially here at VF! Can't tell you how many workouts I still have in the shrinkwrap and have never used.

April Focus:
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-22, 11:01 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Yes yoga does involve holding poses, but it also involves movement if it is vinyasa. And it also very much about mindfulness. Essentrics is dynamic movement. I think it’s what works best for your body & what you enjoy. You will do what you enjoy. I get benefits from both methods. I love Essentrics for the flowing circular movement. We so often move in linear patterns….walking, cycling, lifting weights. Yoga allows me to stretch deeper and I find it very relaxing. I only do gentle yoga, no sun salutations or acrobatics, lol. It’s definitely a personal choice and I love & need both to stay balanced & pain free. .

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-22, 11:15 AM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
True, there can be a flow element with Vinyasa. The trademark sequences in Essentrics are rooted in Tai Chi and very flowy, and the theory is rebalancing by working all the muscles.

Lots to like about both Essentrics and yoga. It comes down to preferences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
Vantreesta ~Thank you for weighing in. I think I might have that exact KV workout. I'm embarrassed to say, I've never tried it. Received it in a big trade I made years ago for KV and have never pulled it off the shelf. Maybe I'll give it a try just to see what Yoga is all about.

I guess if I'm not movitated by the method, I've waisted no money and it can go back to shelf. LOL
This was one of, if not the, first yoga I ever did and it's still one of my favorites. That would be great if you already have it! No harm done then if it doesn't click!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Yes yoga does involve holding poses, but it also involves movement if it is vinyasa. And it also very much about mindfulness. Essentrics is dynamic movement. I think it’s what works best for your body & what you enjoy. You will do what you enjoy. I get benefits from both methods. I love Essentrics for the flowing circular movement. We so often move in linear patterns….walking, cycling, lifting weights. Yoga allows me to stretch deeper and I find it very relaxing. I only do gentle yoga, no sun salutations or acrobatics, lol. It’s definitely a personal choice and I love & need both to stay balanced & pain free. .
I completely agree with you all abut finding what works not just for your body but for your mind as well. I personally don't find CS to feel the best in my body (although I do like Essentrics with Sahra) but I really like Qi Gong (have only tried Lee Holden) for the loose flowiness, as Pam described the circular movement. Yoga is one of my favorite things to do but I've found Qi Gong is doing a better job of calming my mind in a shorter time. Lee's 7 minute practices are great for this where I need a longer yoga practice to relax my mind. But after a run I have specific stretching needs that I don't feel I get in most of the yoga practices I've tried which is why I pretty much always do Matt Giordano's Yoga for Runners post-run practice.

I'm just so thankful there are so many ways to move our bodies and celebrate what these beautiful organic machines can do!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-22, 11:40 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I also really like Lee's Qi Gong and his 7 Minutes of Magic is probably my most used dvd, (along with Sahra's Essentrics Stretch and Strength in Motion). In particular, I love the PM extended practice.

Tina, from your comments it seems that your dr probably suggested yoga as simply a more gentle workout, not knowing the multitudes of other gentle exercise genres.

I took a yoga class last winter on Zoom that was completely out of my league, and had to bail on it less than 15 minutes into the hour long class. Yoga can be strenuous and challenging (as can Essentrics).

Anyway, we've all probably beaten this subject to death. Restarting sux, but I find using what workouts I already have or just simply walking is a good way to begin and move forward from there.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-22, 12:37 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I completely agree with this. Dean is my favorite for the same reasons.
& Pam61

I'm also a big fan of Dean's style of yoga. I subscribe to his website now too.
-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-22, 12:49 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I also really like Lee's Qi Gong and his 7 Minutes of Magic is probably my most used dvd, (along with Sahra's Essentrics Stretch and Strength in Motion). In particular, I love the PM extended practice.

Tina, from your comments it seems that your dr probably suggested yoga as simply a more gentle workout, not knowing the multitudes of other gentle exercise genres.

I took a yoga class last winter on Zoom that was completely out of my league, and had to bail on it less than 15 minutes into the hour long class. Yoga can be strenuous and challenging (as can Essentrics).

Anyway, we've all probably beaten this subject to death. Restarting sux, but I find using what I workouts I already have or just simply walking is a good way to begin and move forward from there.
Agree, we’ve talked the subject out, lol.

Essentrics is a great choice for gentle movement, loosening up the fascia, & some flexibility.

You do need to know what you’re getting into with an hour long yoga class. There’s so much variation in styles. If it’s a fast flowing vinyasa, it can be tough and can certainly cause injuries if you aren’t familiar with the moves. I avoid that style of class big time!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-22, 12:52 PM  
bfit

Well, now I'm really highjacking this thread, but I'm just wondering if what your doctor wants is more movement maybe there are some kinder, gentler workouts (even chair workouts) that would work for that which are not yoga. Yoga is not necessarily easy. Doctors are not always familiar with all of the kinds of exercise options out there. My podiatrist told me that I couldn't ever use the rebounder, but I soon figured out that he didn't even know what a rebounder was; it just sounded bad to him so he said no.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe yoga, perfect flow, stretch max, yoga, yoga max, yoga relax