Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-04-22, 04:35 PM  
TinaT

Quote:
I don't think you should hold it against anyone out there trying to make a living.
I don't hold this mind set or point of view. I'm all about folks making an honest living. These folks haven't been on the fitness scene for very long compared to others who have proven themselves over the years. Over the last few years, they've been trying to get their name out there by offering free WO on YT.

Cathe, The Firm, CS, KV, and the list goes on. I have supported many of them throughout the years financially by purchasing their workouts, with no hesitation. They are quality people with great integrity.

I made the statement that I did, because I was talking about them specifically and no one else. I did compare the free aspect of their business to JS. I am all about supporting small businesses when I can.

No offense meant.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-22, 04:39 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I think access to Cathe Live is $9.97/month but it's $19.97 month for Cathe On Demand which provides access to Cathe Live AND access to her entire library of dvds streaming including new releases* (you also get use of the workout blender, etc. with Cathe On Demand so I don't think it's unreasonable, considering).

I prefer dvds but I admit I miss the early days when Cathe's workout blender was new and available to everyone to play with basically.

*I only point out the new release thing because from my understanding, BBOD (Beachbody) sometimes gives the option for subscribers to pays extra to get early access to some programs while making regular subscribers wait if they're not willing to pay for early access. I don't have BBOD so not even sure why I'm commenting on the early access thing. The early access thing is just not my favorite business model.

ETA: I've purchased Cathe Live downloads but have never subscribed to Cathe Live or Cathe On Demand.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-22, 04:39 PM  
donnamp

$16/month seems pretty reasonable/average these days!

It really does depend on how much you use it - I don't mind paying for something I use, I just hate when I sign up for something and then don't use it enough to justify the cost!

I think it is great when instructors will put stuff on You Tube - it gives you a chance to "try before your buy"!

My pet peeve about streaming sites is those that close their membership from time to time - IMHO it is just a way to get subscribers who have FOMO syndrome and many will ultimately regret signing up for a year or whatever b/c they don't use it enough (I have been there, done that!). That is the only reason I can see for having "closed" membership seasons -

Right now I subscribe to Ellen for $5.95/month and ETV for $14.95. I'm using both so much it is worth it to me. I'll probably convert my ETV to a yearly membership since I think they offer a discount for a yearly membership.

I do have a membership with Jessica Valent Pilates - which will expire in July, will probably not renew - I'm just burned out on the content, nothing personal. Although she does do the closed membership thing which bugs me.

I have been thinking about subscribing to Jenny Ford's site but she is very reasonable, in the Ellen price range!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-22, 04:48 PM  
TinaT

Donna ~ Part of my dilemma is that I use the content on YouTube regularly, so do I really need a subscription? Do I have FOMO? Or is what they offer for free enough. I don't want to talk myself into something I don't need.

I think I did that with JS. Using her YouTube workouts have been fine, but then I thought "why not buy some of her DVDs as well." I don't reach for them often, yet I paid for them.
Old 03-04-22, 04:54 PM  
donnamp

Tina - is there an option to just sign up for one month - then you can see if you use it or not?

I prefer sites that offer monthly fees, even if it is a little bit more per month b/c if you decide it isn't for you it is better to "waste" $16 than $160!

Donna
Old 03-04-22, 04:55 PM  
TinaT

yes, they do offer a monthly rate. Maybe that's the way to go.
Old 03-04-22, 04:57 PM  
donnamp

yes and you can always upgrade to a year or 6 months or whatever if you find you use it enough to justify the cost.

Donna
Old 03-04-22, 05:17 PM  
TinaT

Well, from reading everyone's replies, I think $16.00 per month is reasonable and fair... as long as I do my part and use it regularly. I should probably sign up for the 7-day free trial and then progress to just 1 month and then decide from there. If it's FOMO I'm sure it will subside quickly, and I won't be out much. LOL
Old 03-04-22, 07:44 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle View Post
The only instructor I stream is Cathe. It's $9.99 (?) per month but if you pay for the entire year and use a discount code it's just over $100 for the year. She has close to 400 workouts now. The variety is excellent, including length of workout, equipment used etc. Well worth it!!
Cathe Live is also discounted for a 6 month subscription by the same percentage as for a year. It's my only paid subscription.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-22, 07:34 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Jessica used to have an option for donating to her YouTube channel. Also, she (and I believe everyone on YT) gets some sort of compensation (not necessarily. monetary?) for number of subscriptions, the amount of time videos are watched, etc. That's why they all ask you to subscribe to their channel. They're rewarded somehow for you watching.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jessica smith streaming, rebounder, rebounding, sanfran, streaming, streaming affordable, streaming costs