Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-24-17, 07:47 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Would the Callanetics pros here suggest starting with the 30 Day DVD or the Beginner DVD?

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-17, 09:39 AM  
Exercise Diva

Thanks for the inspiring review, SuzieC. I subscribe to Callanetics and have the Countdown DVD but haven't been brave enough to do these almost exclusively. I agree with you that they are tough but at the same time I almost get a Zen feeling from it and somehow in my mind that translates into not being hard enough. After reading about your results though, I'm seriously thinking of giving it a shot but I will probably add in a little cardio like you do in the earlier stages and adding in some Essentrics maybe in between my Callanetic days. I think that those two programs would be complimentary.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-17, 10:00 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
I found it on Amazon for $10.70. I like that you start with 5 days of only 25 minutes. I am trying so hard to cut back - as it seems Suzie realized too - for us(thyroid affected people) less is truly more.
The dvd, right? I prefer downloads at this point. That's why I thought they were being really reasonable with the download price but then I realized it was a fraction of the content. Oh well -- it's not like I need any more distraction!
bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-17, 10:01 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieC View Post
Yes, that is exactly it! I also do Essentrics/Classical Stretch (critical especially when I am in acute pain from the herniated discs), Jessica Smith, Petra Kolber, trying to add in some Ellen, and Hamelin's CardioTone.

When I first started Countdown, I thought it was lame to be honest! LOL. The more I did it with better form, the harder and more effective it got. I adored Level 2, just the right challenge for me. Level 3 was really tough and I took advantage of all the beginner modifications. I think I can grow with Level 3 for a very long time before I can truly master it. I'm sure I can go back to Level 1 and it will challenge me.
Very cool that you found this and gave it a fair chance to work, Suzie!!
Old 07-24-17, 10:01 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
The dvd, right? I prefer downloads at this point. That's why I thought they were being really reasonable with the download price but then I realized it was a fraction of the content. Oh well -- it's not like I need any more distraction!
Ah, I see. I think it's $12.99 for the download on iTunes.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-17, 04:10 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieC View Post
Thanks Lannette -I'm looking for workouts that have a lot of form tips and aren't too advanced because I'm still a beginner at this. Any recommendations? I did Adelaide 'a beach workout and was t really sure what I was doing. Thanks!
Sandra's WOs are great for form tips. Check out her Foundation Series. She gives excellent form explanations and the vids are short. Her Beginner WO is long but pretty easily split in half. Gentle Sculpting is probably my favorite of her Beginner WOs. These are worth finding time for at least one or two times.

If you haven't done Daily Stretch you have got to try it. It won't feel like much but it really helps you to internalize the form. It's only 21 minutes so nice before another short WO.

I promise you that it's so worth taking the time to start out with the beginner WOs and her Foundation Series.

I'm impressed that you did the beginner modifications for Countdown Level 3. Many people would tough on through while blowing their form at the same time. It shows that you're serious about your form for it to be that tough for you!

I love Adelaide's Beach WO now but felt the same as you the first time I did it.

Goodness, I hope you enjoy Callanetics as much as I do.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-17, 04:24 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
Would the Callanetics pros here suggest starting with the 30 Day DVD or the Beginner DVD?

Carol
No Pro but still willing to lend my opinion.

Countdown Level 1 is considered a beginner WO so buying the Countdown DVD gives you a lot for your money. That said, I did later buy Lacey's Beginner DVD for variety.

The great thing about Callanetics Beginner WOs is that they are not watered down. There are less pulses and/or fewer exercises. This is great when you are new to the method but it's also great when you're more experienced. I now use beginner WOs as a day where I can do fewer pulses but work really, really deeply.

Hope that helps and make sense.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Old 07-24-17, 05:01 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
No Pro but still willing to lend my opinion.

Countdown Level 1 is considered a beginner WO so buying the Countdown DVD gives you a lot for your money. That said, I did later buy Lacey's Beginner DVD for variety.

The great thing about Callanetics Beginner WOs is that they are not watered down. There are less pulses and/or fewer exercises. This is great when you are new to the method but it's also great when you're more experienced. I now use beginner WOs as a day where I can do fewer pulses but work really, really deeply.

Hope that helps and make sense.
Thanks Lannette, it does make perfect sense!

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-17, 05:05 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceQueen07 View Post
Can I ask how is Callanetics different from pilates and/or barre?
I saw your question earlier and have been thinking of how to answer it.

First of all there are similarities as well as differences.

1. The pulses are smaller than you see in Barre WOs and there are more of them, typically not more than 100 for any exercise. If you use Sandra Hanna's form concept of counter extentions they are extremely small, even smaller than Lacey uses. I've been studying Classical Pilates and the instructors talk about counter extensions but don't call them that.

2. There are more stretches and you hold them longer. I love this!

3. The Warm Up movements actually accomplish as much toning and tightening as the exercises! For instance the "waist away" trims and the arms, waist and hips.

4. One of the biggest differences is that you relax everything except the working muscles and the setup is what contracts those muscles. When Callan says, "Relax, you just have to relax." She means it! Crazy as it sounds, the more you relax the more you can concentrate on form elements and the deeper you work. As long as I'm relaxed I don't get typical DOMS but rather a deep fatigue in my muscles letting me know that I really worked.

5. Just as Classical Pilates has a certain progression of exercises, so does Callanetics. Like Pilates there are also crazy tough exercises you won't see in a beginner class.

6. In the original Callanetics there was only one arm exercise, what Callan called the "under arm tightener." In the updated DVDs there are planks and push-ups in addition to that original exercise. In her studio Callan also had people practice hanging from Swiss Bars. (I can't wait until my Cadillac/Reformer comes so I can start doing this!)

7. You never feel beat up - well as long as you remember to relax. Saturday I did the flow version of the original 10 in 10 and worked super deep. I never got sore, in fact my body felt great but I ended up taking a 20 minute nap. When I woke up I was raring to go.

Not sure what else to say but if you have specific questions I'm happy to try to answer them.

Old 07-24-17, 06:21 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
Ah, I see. I think it's $12.99 for the download on iTunes.
Oh, well that seems more reasonable than their site, though honestly I didn't look far enough to see if they have a bundle price. Thanks!

Tags
callanetics, callanetics countdown, lacey kondi