Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-20-14, 11:14 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturallove View Post
Are these out in Canada and not in the U.S.? They sound fantastic!
They are available on Essentrics TV (streaming). And they are fantastic
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 12:04 PM  
naturallove
 
naturallove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post
They are available on Essentrics TV (streaming). And they are fantastic
fuzzie: You STAY having people spend money!! LOL What would you say the challenge level is like, compared to other Essentrics? Or maybe comparable workouts (e.g. arm workout from Sahra vs. unweighted arm workouts from other instructors)?
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 12:10 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter
 
JackieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturallove View Post
fuzzie: You STAY having people spend money!! LOL What would you say the challenge level is like, compared to other Essentrics? Or maybe comparable workouts (e.g. arm workout from Sahra vs. unweighted arm workouts from other instructors)?
Not Fuzzie....but they are great and I'd say that they are a pretty good burn, too. I have found Season 10 to be more intense with Miranda....and Sahra's new offerings also have you working hard. I'm going to try the legs one today, I think.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 12:28 PM  
naturallove
 
naturallove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Not Fuzzie....but they are great and I'd say that they are a pretty good burn, too. I have found Season 10 to be more intense with Miranda....and Sahra's new offerings also have you working hard. I'm going to try the legs one today, I think.

Jackie
Jackie: You are definitely an expert in all things CS, so I appreciate your opinions as well. The last season that I bought was Season 8 (which I didn't find too difficult, IIRC), so I'm assuming from your statement that Season 10 is tougher compared to that one as well.
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 12:49 PM  
mjs2052
 
Join Date: May 2008
I did the leg sculpting workout this morning and I loved it. My outer thighs and butt were talking to me. It ended with a nice stretch. I can't wait to try the other two workouts!
__________________

Melissa
mjs2052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 03:00 PM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturallove View Post
fuzzie: You STAY having people spend money!! LOL What would you say the challenge level is like, compared to other Essentrics? Or maybe comparable workouts (e.g. arm workout from Sahra vs. unweighted arm workouts from other instructors)?
Jackie gave a better answer than I could. I do Essentrics for the "feel good" effect - to move my body after sitting for several hours, to work the kinks out of my spine, neck and shoulders, to maintain mobility, etc - so I am not looking for a burn. That said, I felt the lower body one was one of the most "toning" Essentrics I have done. I did on the day in-between Yin workouts and it did not feel all that good There is only 10 minutes of standing work on this one, followed by a pretty thorough mat series (she even does some work on all fours, which she has done in class but never on DVD IIRC).

My favorite is the Arms and Posture one. The work doesn't necessarily feel as challenging as some other unweighted work (like TA) but I feel it aligns everything and unlocks tension. For me it's the perfect complement to all the work on all fours/in plank I do with Yin.

I finally tried the Abs one yesterday and thought it was really nice. She only does a couple of minutes of crunches (I never could understand why CS/Essentrics has crunch-based core work) and the rest of the workout involves a lot of twists and lenghtening movement.

HTH!
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 09:27 PM  
Gancho Girl
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post
I finally tried the Abs one yesterday and thought it was really nice. She only does a couple of minutes of crunches (I never could understand why CS/Essentrics has crunch-based core work)
I'm so glad you said that fuzzie! I'm always thrown off kilter slightly when there's crunch-based ab work in Essentrics - it just doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of their stuff.

And, from my Pilates perspective, it takes SO much to get people to do an ab curl/crunch properly, that the quicker pace of Essentrics just doesn't allow you to fully get people set up for it. It's one of the issues I'm struggling with as I work on the Essentrics certification...
__________________
Life is like a Britney Spears' song - devoid of all meaning but, bugger it, let's dance.

---
http://livingroomathlete.blogspot.com/

Disclosure statement: I am a facilitator for Misty Tripoli's THE GROOVE and a Pilates instructor.
Gancho Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 09:53 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter
 
glamgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Gancho Girl - In my live teacher trainings, the subject of crunches has come up. Basically, Miranda has said that she includes them to placate the general public. Most people want "ab work" and crunches seem to be the standard acceptable ab exercise for most people. A lot of people feel like they didn't get a proper ab workout unless crunches are involved, so she includes them.
__________________
JENNIFER
glamgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 10:03 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter
 
JackieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Minnesota
I did the ab/waist shaping workout today and loved it. It is just so balanced and Sahra is warming up to the camera. It is nice to see her relax and enjoy herself.

I have to admit that I feel like all the standing ab and waist exercises are much more effective than the crunches. For some reason though I feel compelled to include floorwork with crunches a couple times a week. Must just be ingrained in me.

Nice workouts! I can't wait to have the dvd!

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 10:25 PM  
Gancho Girl
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgal View Post
Gancho Girl - In my live teacher trainings, the subject of crunches has come up. Basically, Miranda has said that she includes them to placate the general public. Most people want "ab work" and crunches seem to be the standard acceptable ab exercise for most people. A lot of people feel like they didn't get a proper ab workout unless crunches are involved, so she includes them.
Thanks for that. How funny. I find I include ab curls less and less in my Pilates classes, and no one has complained about missing out (well, not to my face). And flexion is one of the most overused spinal movements we have - it's not like we really need more!
__________________
Life is like a Britney Spears' song - devoid of all meaning but, bugger it, let's dance.

---
http://livingroomathlete.blogspot.com/

Disclosure statement: I am a facilitator for Misty Tripoli's THE GROOVE and a Pilates instructor.
Gancho Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
classical stretch, essentrics, sahra esmonde-white, the esmonde technique

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2009 Video Fitness