Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-22, 09:42 AM  
cyana

Good Morning - I finished up my day off yesterday sitting on my front porch in the warm sun. It was so nice I pushed up my sleeves and rolled up my jeans to get some of Mother Nature's Vitamin D on my skin. It was delightful out there. This morning I went for a walk instead of sitting on the porch to get my early morning sun exposure. My hip was complaining the last "leg" of the walk (pun intended! ), but I'm glad I did it.

Shipping update on the Breville - argh - FedEx is supposed to deliver it on Friday, so I'll be holding my breath to see if it arrives intact since their track record for safe deliveries at my house in 2022 has been less than sterling.

Pat - I'm happy to hear you were able to get some gym time in yesterday. Hope your return to work isn't too jarring (so far so good on this end ). My hat has been off to Pam for years, as she worked in geriatrics before she retired and what passes for care for our elders in the US is beyond tragic, with so many warehoused in for-profit facilities. I have the utmost respect for those who work in geriatrics and take good care of our older population.

Sandra - What type of music is being used for Body Pump classes these days? I'm so out of touch with what we would've called Top 40 back in the day, I wouldn't recognize those songs. I also feel for the BB&B employees - not knowing whether they're going to show up for work and discover their store (or the entire company) is going to close.

Pam - Thanks for the scoop on the I.P. conversion for the lentil casserole. Your additions sounded delicious. That's sad about DS having to work such a grueling schedule, especially since it sounds like he lives in such a lovely area with so many great outdoor activities. It also seems like it would be intellectually stimulating since he has the opportunity to see so many different things in the ER and get a lot of practical experience. I did ER as a new grad, and loved the challenge of never knowing what would come through the door.

Must get my nose to the grindstone. Waves to ALL!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-22, 12:39 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Rodney Yee: ABS Yoga for Beginners
Rejuvenation with Kathy Smith Stretch and Flex

Pam, your lentil rice casserole sounds delicious! Thank you for sharing that with us. I want to try your version of the recipe. I need to buy some brown lentils.

Cyana, On Friday, I'd be listening for the FedEx truck so I could run out and make sure the box was delivered gently.
Let me know if your morning sun exposure makes a positive difference over time.

Sandra, how much weight does the barbell weigh at your gym (without weights on it)?
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-22, 09:35 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Todays workouts:
~Taught Essentrics - I worked them hard with the floor toning today, lol.
~Foot/calf work
~15 min rebounder walking w/o (YT)
~Short stretch and half a yin class on zoom as our power went out.

Power is back on but it’s flickered a few times. It’s very windy & snowing hard right now so we are prepared for it to go out again. We are getting an early taste of winter, some winters we don’t get any snow. There are so many big trees around that can fall & hit power lines. People here aren’t used to driving in snow and it’s very hilly, so it’s not unusual for someone to hit a pole or a tree and knock the power out.

Cyana - Here’s hoping your air fryer arrives intact! Thankfully I didn’t work 12 hour shifts my last few years in long term care. Some of our care homes are operated by the health authority, but some are private. I worked at both and definitely preferred the health authority operated ones. Getting old is a scary thought with the shortage of health care workers.

Paine - I forgot to add that I put some dried cranberries in the lentil rice dish after cooking. I like to add a little colour, lol.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-22, 09:58 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Hi all - got back from my Thanksgiving trip last night. All went well, no issues flying either way, thank goodness! Still catching up around the house, so will try to catch up with all of you soon.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-22, 11:25 PM  
JustSandra

Hi!

Today's "workout" was a 1.5-hour outdoor walk.

Paine: Thanks for asking about the weight of the barbell we use in Body Pump! I looked it up and it is 2.62 kilograms, which Alexa tells me equals about 5 pounds 13 ounces. I used two 2.2 pound plates (we'll say about 2 pounds 3 ounces each), so the total is around 10 pounds 3 ounces. I think that's a good barbell weight for high-rep stuff.

Cyana: I like the Body Pump music but I haven't a clue as to who the original artists are or anything like that. OTOH in the Gold class we have 60's stuff -- and I can sing along to all of it LOL!

Yogapam: Stay safe and warm!

Beth: Happy you are back, and I assume you had a good time!

Take care!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-22, 09:42 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning all! I can't believe it's the last day of November already. Nothing formal for me yesterday, but on Monday I tried a 5 Minute HIIT Workout for Seniors from the Yes2Next channel. I noticed that I can walk in place a little, and this super gentle and short workout was doable.

I had a nice massage last night and my therapist was very helpful. She doesn't think it's a torn muscle, she believes the injury is in the ligaments and/or tendons. She did lymphatic drainage which was amazing and reduced swelling. If you ever have a chance to try a lymphatic drainage massage, go for it!

Waves all! I'll try to catch up later.
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-22, 11:12 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Margaret's Raising the Bar (Full Body workout)

I had planned to do only an upper body workout this morning but when I finished I felt like doing more so I did the entire workout.

Pat, I'm glad your lymphatic drainage massage helped you!

Pam, I hope your power stays on.
I'll add the dried cranberries to your recipe (I printed it out). That sounds good!

Sandra, when you told us the weights you were using on the barbell at your gym, I wondered what the total weight was so I asked my husband what a typical barbell weighs and he told me they can range from 20 to 40 pounds, yikes!! There is no way I could lift that much weight. I used to lift heavier weights a few years ago but these days, an 8 pound dumbbell in each hand is as heavy as I go so you are doing great with the barbell/weights you are using.

Beth, welcome back!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-22, 12:38 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I can't believe it's the last day of December either! November really flew by.

I had a good trip to see family. We enjoyed a nice variety of activities, including me going to see the movie Lyle Lyle Crocodile with my 12 year old nephew.

I might not get to all in personals but I'll try:

Sandra, one of the things I do when I'm visiting my mom is talk to her Alexa!

Pat, your massage sounds good! I hope you see some improvement. Cute avatar!

Pam, sorry about the power issues; hope it's okay now.

Paine, I'm sure that was disappointing on Thanksgiving not to have the whole family together. I hope everyone is okay.

cyana, yeah for the day off Monday! I was really glad I took yesterday off too. I wish YouTube's search feature was better also.

Okay, that's all for now - Happy Hump Day!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 11-30-22, 02:50 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Hello, all! I hope everyone had a restful holiday! Can I please join this check in? Yesterday, I did Leslie's Miracle Mile with toning followed by a virgin-Ellen Barrett's Super Slimdown. It was ok. I really like Ellen but pilates just doesn't seem to agree with my body. I liked the yoga part though. I keep trying to do Ellen and I bought all her Crunch, Self, and Prevention workouts. I subscribe and then cancel and then resubscribe to her streaming. However, I just find her so repetitive and I guess I just don't like pilates even though I keep trying to force myself too. She's really great though so I'm sad.
Gemini2874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-22, 02:52 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Gemini, welcome! We are always happy to have new people. FYI - there will be a new thread tomorrow for the new month.

Follow me @YogiBethC